User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  38
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical question - How much is too much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hypothetical question - How much is too much?

Just musing over discussions and comments over a period of time, which I have thought about before, and the question is around post processing.

My personal opinion is that I would process an image until it looks as I saw it when I took it, an alternative opinion would be described as "I'll just tweak this a little more to make it better"

So where does everyone else stop? As a photographer do you feel it is better to accurately reproduce the real world, or as an artist does producing the perfect image justify tweaking reality?

I'm interested to get opinions
    Pentax K3, K100D Super, Sigma 18-50, Takamur-A 28-80, Pentax DA 50-200, Sicor 80-200, Tamron 2X teleconverter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you on this, Liney. But no two photographers entirely agree on this.

The way I look at it, photography is like literature. There are many subdivisions and genres, but the great divide from which all the smaller divisions follow is the one between fiction and non-fiction. You and I shoot non-fiction, we document what is. Yes, we select our scenes and shoot them to their best advantage, maybe sneak in a little tweak here and there, but fundamentally, we want to stick to the facts.

Fiction photographers, in contrast, want to make nice things, attract the eye, tell great stories. Some are entirely abstract, but most use a mixture of fact and fiction - exactly as (say) a historical novelist might go to a good deal of trouble with her background facts but invent her plot and characters.

The one thing I dislike in all of this is photographic fiction masquerading as fact.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liney View Post
    ...the question is around post processing.

So where does everyone else stop? As a photographer do you feel it is better to accurately reproduce the real world, or as an artist does producing the perfect image justify tweaking reality?

A to the first bit: Do what you need for the picture.

A to the 2nd part: There is no answer apart from "Do what you want for the picture you want."

(Or, that's me )
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, less is more, Liney.

If anyone can tell that I've edited the file, I've gone too far. I try pretty hard to capture what I ultimately want when the camera is at my eye.

As Tony said, this is all intensely personal.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do we know what another photographer sees though?
    Does that mean BW shots are almost always too much?
    What about results that can’t really be seen with the naked eye? Take long exposures as an example.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swifty, good points.

1: we don't know, but we have a pretty good idea most of the time.

2: no, B&W is a different medium. All pictures extract portions of the visible world and leave other portions out. A colour print, for example, leaves out depth and motion (though it may suggest both). A B&W movie leaves out depth and colour, but includes line, form and motion. An etching has only line, no form or colour. And so on.

3: It all depends on the intent and the individual case. Some such pictures show what the eye could have seen if it had only been in the right place, or had enough magnification (most bird photographs, macro). Others just distort for the sake of aesthetic appeal (slow-mo waterfalls, most HDR stuff). Others again use PP to more accurately show what one really does see with the naked eye (subtle HDR to show a sunset and foreground scene, which the eye can see but the camera lacks the dynamic range to reproduce in a single exposure).

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swifty, when I switch my Olympus E-M1 cameras into monochrome mode, that's what's displayed in the viewfinder. One of many benefits of electronic VFs. Of course, the raw file is full colour, but the JPEG will be monochrome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO..............

Are you doing art or history?

If you are recording history then it should be accurate as to what the scene was although this may require a lot of post processing to ensure everything that can be seen by the eye is seen.

If its art you have a licence to do what you want. I would say that most photographers are creating art so the amount of post processing is a personal choice.
    Canon 5Ds, 16-35mm F4 L, 24-105mm F4 L.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tannin:
    1. I do agree for the majority of folks. But what I have come to realise is certain individuals, eg. photographers see the world a little differently concentrating on various aspects that eludes the average viewer. And from that perspective I can see how some photographers create a vision that they see which I may not.
    2. Fair points. A different medium? Not sure but I have a feeling it comes down to semantics. All I can say is I don’t disagree with your points but I was throwing it out there as a point of discussion.
    3. Again I agree and I feel it all comes down to intent. I think a point needs to be raised about whether one’s intent it to be factual or artistic. The artistic part has no bounds. The factual part is the more difficult one to define. Is HDR factual? Are deliberate blurring of motion factual?

John: that would be what the camera sensor sees, or at least a subset of it. To play devil’s advocate, this can be done on virtually any camera these days and we can even create profiles that most would consider over processed that we can see live before actuation. So does seeing it live before the exposure make it any more real?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteD3 View Post
    IMHO..............

Are you doing art or history?

If you are recording history then it should be accurate as to what the scene was although this may require a lot of post processing to ensure everything that can be seen by the eye is seen.

If its art you have a licence to do what you want. I would say that most photographers are creating art so the amount of post processing is a personal choice.
    If it’s history, are we bound by the biological limitations of the human eye/brain? Eg. There’s a range of motion that our eye/brain can process. Faster or much slower than this is beyond our ability to visualise. But is it still factual?
    Our ability to improve signals by increasing exposures and eeking out what little signals are present but still being able to present a recognisable final image. Is that history or art?
    Combining the various factors, let’s take star trails from hours long exposures as an example. This is obvious well beyond our human abilities to perceive but is it still factual and historical vs art?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    ...If anyone can tell that I've edited the file, I've gone too far...
    If that anyone cannot see it then it's OK. - Hmm!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is a very interesting set of responses, and some very good points made.

As far as sight is concerned, I look at something and it moves and the moment is gone. A photographic image takes that moment in time and immortalises it. If I take a longer exposure am I recording one moment or superimposing several moments on top of each other?

If I take a colour image and convert it to black and white, it could be classed as art. If I left it in colour it would be history.

Keep the opinions coming

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Tanin on this. Every photo has some post processing - whether this is by the algorithm in the camera or manually externally afterwards.

My gripe is when fiction is presented as fact. I really don't mind removing clutter from a photograph, to me this is not always changing the fact. Not everybody sees everything in a scene / situation, and to emphasise the subject of the photograph is fair play. What I object to is the addition in a photograph - completely replacing the background, adding props, any addition that changes and "tricks" the audience. To me this is not a skilled photographer, this is a skilled graphic artist.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Ausphotography Veteran jamesmartin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no set rules, people can do what they like with there photography as long as they enjoy what there doing & there happy with the results then each to there own. Personally I like to get it roughly what it was like as I saw at the time I took it. I clone out things like road signs, power lines etc. I don't like to clone out anything major but a small twig/branch I will. Slow shutter speed with waterfalls etc but anyone viewing it will already know that the settings have been adjusted to gain it. Are mine perfect representations of what I saw probably not but I like to think there close to it. What I like to see is if people do any altering or major altering is when they post it online or display it somewhere is for them to explain/tell the people viewing it that it has been altered in whatever way. That way the person viewing it can either admire it or move one to the next one. There's no need to regard someone's work as wrong or any less skillfull just because there technique/result isn't to your liking (not that I'm saying anyone on here has!!). We all do it because we enjoy it & as long as everyone is honest with how they got there results then all's good
    www.jamessmartin.net
    Canon 5DsR & 5Ds - Zeiss Milvus 21mm - Canon 70-300mm L - Canon 100mm macro - Sigma 150-600mm contemporary. Aquatech sport shield rain cover. Phantom DJI 4 pro drone. Gitzo traveller tripod. Tascam DR-70D sound recorder

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the joys of photography lies in the huge range of options it gives us, and we choose which path to tread. The only restriction lies in the rules surrounding your chosen genre. If it's in a competition, then you abide by those rules - but otherwise, the sky is the limit (preferably not blown out).

It is whatever you want it to be, and as with any creative outlet, you choose the extent to which it reflects reality. In that sense it differs little from any other form of artistic expression - if it feels good, do it!

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to stop when I lose hope of getting it how I remember seeing it.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlike other forms of artistry where the outcome is an interpretation from the artists point of view, a photograph is a preplanned capture of a moment in time.

If three painters lined up on a bank next to each other and painted a scene, each one of them would be slightly different. Different interpretation of the same scene. If one had the sun at midday, the other had the moon, and one had a canoe in the lake then we would put this down to the artists skill - afterall it is a painting and never meant to represent a moment in time.

If three photographers lined up on a bank next to each other and took the same photograph at the same time of day, and when processed one had the sun, one had the moon and the other had a canoe - to me in this situation the photographer contributed a very minor part in this process (and yet of course he / she would get the credit as the photographer).

Take a few moments to look through instagram - there is a huge difference between a well thought out photograph and a graphic artists impression of a photograph. To me it is like comparing a crystal wine glass with a paper cup - yes they both hold water but only one was built by a craftsman.
    Last edited by Brian500au; 13-05-2019 at 2:15am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    One of the joys of photography lies in the huge range of options it gives us, and we choose which path to tread. The only restriction lies in the rules surrounding your chosen genre. If it's in a competition, then you abide by those rules - but otherwise, the sky is the limit (preferably not blown out).

It is whatever you want it to be, and as with any creative outlet, you choose the extent to which it reflects reality. In that sense it differs little from any other form of artistic expression - if it feels good, do it!
    Thanks very much, Bob.
    You've managed to put many of my thoughts into words and far more eloquently and politely than I ever could.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it totally depends on the end use for the photo. Some photos I simply want as a record of a moment in time. Those photos just get basics in the processing - mainly sharpening. If the photo is for an entry in a Creative competition, then I'll go for it! It's much more fun photoshopping than taking photos

I do get upset when repairing old photos, if someone asks me to remove a bush, house, or alter a person's appearance. These old photos are a record of our history, and it seems like desecrating our past to manipulate them. You have to feel sorry for our future generations. They'll never know if a particular photo is a true record or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I maybe just starting out but i wont touch a photo with post processing i want to capture the moment in time as i see it and not through a altered version. As farmmax posted when repairing old photos and having someone edit something out, what photos we take is a record of that moment in time.

As a train person and having seen so far the resurfacing of 3 steam trains (norfolk and western j class 611, just 2 weeks ago union pacific brought back big boy 4014 for the first time in over 60 years and the mary valley rattler while not a big thing but special for me) i would not like those photo's taken tweaked to have them seem faked they should remain raw to preserve the occasions they showed at that time and date taken.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I maybe just starting out but i wont touch a photo with post processing i want to capture the moment in time as i see it and not through a altered version. As farmmax posted when repairing old photos and having someone edit something out, what photos we take is a record of that moment in time.

As a train person and having seen so far the resurfacing of 3 steam trains (norfolk and western j class 611, just 2 weeks ago union pacific brought back big boy 4014 for the first time in over 60 years and the mary valley rattler while not a big thing but special for me) i would not like those photo's taken tweaked to have them seem faked they should remain raw to preserve the occasions they showed at that time and date taken.
    Oh, now you've done it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast