User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: So new gear doesn't improve your photography hey?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So new gear doesn't improve your photography hey?

(Disclaimer: This is not advice to new photographers thinking they need to buy new gear... this is merely some fun observations about my own photographic journey)

So, I started out with a Nikon P520 with its fantastic zoom range (35mm equiv 24mm-1000mm) and I would take lots of photos making full use of that massive zoom lens.

I then bought a Nikon D5500 with kit lenses with a 35mm equiv of 27-450mm... This shorter zoom range forced me to be more selective in what I tried to photograph, and also forced me to walk around more to get closer or further away from the subject. While doing the forced walk around, I became more aware of subject framing, and the relationship between objects and their distance from the camera, and the lens focal length. The larger sensor also meant that changing the aperture had a bigger impact on the depth of field, and I found that being able to sufficiently blur the background improved photos which would otherwise have been too busy.

Next, I bought a Nikon D7200. Again I was surprised by another improvement in my photos. The bigger camera body fitted better in my hands, which makes holding the camera steady a whole lot easier, so I'm getting a much higher hit rate on that focus.

So in conclusion, buying new gear does (can) improve your photography
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s an awesome post.

My take on it is like driving. If you can drive a old manual you can drive anything. How does this relate to the topic? If you can get an awesome end result in your photos using a very basic camera like a D3200 then when you end up with a D800 you will have an increase in quality. You have “cut your teeth” with the old camera and worked around its limitations making you a better photographer.

Also better hand holds etc are helpful too

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what results you would get with your original camera nowadays. I've no doubt your abilities have improved but possibly a combination of experience and the updated cameras. I was always fascinated by the DigitalRev series where they gave a pro photographer a very basic point and shoot and seeing some of the results they achieved. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CB90D96DF59DE5
    Glenda

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When looking through my old photos, I see lots that I would not bother with these days. Or that I would spend more time thinking about framing, the background, lighting, etc.

And I've seen some of those DigitalRev episodes. They're great.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like looking at reviews on YouTube for basic cameras and lenses and seeing some results. With really stock gear some of these guys captures some stunners.

It’s really interesting with all the variables. Also how the skill level progresses, what you would now do differently, some of the obvious rookie mistakes made etc. I look at my old shots all the time and cringe
    I also think how I can revive them with what I now know.

It’s a very good topic. Thanks for raising it and creating this thread.