User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Why Does Auto Choose These Settings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Does Auto Choose These Settings?

I just got a Canon G9.

Today I noticed that on full auto it took an indoor shot at ISO 200, 1/8th at f2.8

I have flash switched off.

Why does it choose those settings instead of, for instance, a faster ISO giving me a better chance of an unblurred hand held shot?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

Just for interest, is it the original G9 of about 2007, or is it a later variant?

Your Q: I'd say that on "full auto" and no flash as you describe, the settings are biased toward the
    lowest practical ISO to lessen the effect of signal noise. The aperture and shutter speed then need
    to be so large and so long, respectively. On small-sensor cameras -especially of that era - signal noise
    control is a significant factor.

If you want to exert some more control, look into the Program AE and Shutter/Aperture Priority modes.
    Somewhere, you might (and old model, so who knows) be able to select a higher ISO operating range.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your camera can't tell if you are shooting hand held and as Am said it would have been exposing to ensure less noise in your photograph.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, perhaps check your ISO's 'Auto Range' if it exists?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    I just got a Canon G9. Today I noticed that on full auto it took an indoor shot at ISO 200, 1/8th at f2.8. I have flash switched off.

Quote Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    Why does it choose those settings instead of, for instance, a faster ISO giving me a better chance of an unblurred hand held shot?
    If your analysis of the situation is accurate then I think that the answer is: the camera was asking you to turn the Flash "ON", and you ignored that.

Once you ignored that request, the camera then assumed that you were choosing to shoot in available light, using the IS Function to address camera shake at a Tv = 1/8th second.

The Camera's Auto Functions gave no mind to addressing Subject Movement, because you had already chosen to have the Flash turned to "OFF" when shooting in a dark enviroment.

The selection of "FLASH ON" or "FLASH OFF" or "FLASH AUTO" is one of the User Selectable Options when a PowerShot Camera is in "AUTO" Camera Mode.

Although I haven't used a Powershot Model for a few years, I expect that this functionality is universal across all of the PowerShot models.

Another possibility is, if your analysis is incorrect and you actually missed selecting "AUTO" and mistakenly had the Mode Dial set to "SCN" (which is the selection next to "AUTO" on a G9), and then you had within the SCN selection had an Auto Mode (as one example only "FIREWORKS"), then the camera would not necessarily give you a Flash Warning and the Exposure Parameters would make sense.

WW

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's becoming a case of We of the Never Never. (Apologies to Jeannie Gunn.)

We, on AP, may never know what the OP intended.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-03-2019 at 10:17am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Also, perhaps check your ISO's 'Auto Range' if it exists?
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    . . . Somewhere, you might (and old model, so who knows) be able to select a higher ISO operating range.

For the benefit of the OP – I am 99.99% sure that all PowerShot models will NOT allow User Selection of any ISO function, when the camera is in “AUTO” Mode.

I think it is very good to understand how to use those two ISO functions, but once "AUTO" Camera Mode is selected, those ISO selections will be void.

WW

- - - Updated - - -

. . . We, on AP, may never know what the OP intended.
    "One ping only" (apologies to Red October) is common on web forums, but I figure it's possible someone, sometime might benefit.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 05-03-2019 at 10:34am. Reason: removed link that was accidentally in post

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More likely for our benefit, WW, so thanks just the same.

BTW, what's with the link?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, what's with the link?
    Opps. Thanks for that. My error. I was researching various short film makers for a lecture I have to give, I had all my eggs on one word page where I was composing and I took time out to reply here and I inadvertently added the link. ... Brain Fade... Have a great day, thanks again.