User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: Nikon D5300 or D7100 - Thoughts Please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D5300 or D7100 - Thoughts Please

Still grinding through all of the great information and choices,but I think for me at this time the two Nikons above are the better way for me to go.

Thoughts please

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh! - No pertinent thoughts of my own, so I have to go digging...

Some references, but have a jar of salt ready! I DON'T agree with/endorse everything
    found here, but if you are ABSOlutely not going to buy a current model new, then do more research. Some are:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/N...vs-Nikon-D5300
    (Past the initial specs comparison, I found it rather IFFY, but I would agree about the pentaprism over the pentamirror.)

https://photographypresets.com/nikon-d5300-vs-d7100/
    (FWIW.)

And separately on DPR:
    https://www.dpreview.com/products/ni...rs/nikon_d5300
    and
    https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7100

reading.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big thanks ameerat42 for your post with reading yes lots of reading.

Questions Please -

# which ONE of the two would you purchase

# what is the comparable NEW Nikon camera

Thankyou again

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I was thinking about above was that I'd be hesitant to get either one - now at this time.
    Main reason: both are rather old. This is for both technology (which might be a minor point), and
    more importantly, in wear-and-tear-ablity.

Featurewise, I like the pentaprism for its inrinsically brighter image, yet the flip view screen is good
    to have too. Geotagging doesn't matter much, and WiFi connectivity is +/-. - But Y-O-Y can't they
    have these features in common?

So, I'd be hard-pressed to choose. If they were of the same age, I'd probably pick the d7100, but...
    I'd really want to look elsewhere for a different model (Nikon). - And now that I've said that...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a42 but you only answered one of my two questions,gee good help is hard to find lets start again.

What new Nikon camera today would be comparable to the older D5300 or D7100.

If I don't ask I don't know.

Thankyou

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite Francis-ly, I didn't see it. I BLKED at "# which ONE of the two would you purchase"

But here is the line-up of current Nikon DX (APSC DSLRs):
    https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...e#!/tag:78A:DX

Note well - ie, with some alarm - that the prices are in USD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a precursor to the D5300, a D5100. I do like it but I sometimes wish that I had bought the precursor to the D7100, the D7000. The higher models have features that you might not even know about now (and might not ever use) but you just might want to use in future.

An example is High-Speed Synch (HSS). This allows you to use a flash with a high shutter speed. Without it, you can only use a flash with a maximum shutter speed of 250 frames per second. You might want to photograph indoor sports, bird photography in dim light, or a portrait in fading light. HSS will allow you to use a flash with a higher shutter speed producing crisper photos. Also, the D7100 can be used as the master controller in a shot where you are using multiple wireless flash units. You can buy cheap flash controllers that sit in your hot shoe that do the same thing but still...

As well as additional features, the D7100 has a more robust body being made out of alloy rather than plastics. As far as I know the sensors are identical. The articulating screen on the D5300 is useful when taking low photos and for composing landscapes. I don't know why they don't make this a feature on all Nikons, to be honest.

You would be happy with either but maybe you should go to a camera store and look at the current models and ask the sales staff to explain the differences.
    Last edited by Hawthy; 06-02-2019 at 7:33pm.
    Andrew

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TVSN on channel 54 are having a Nikon show starting at 8:25pm tonight,in 5 minutes

Gotta go

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheaper On Ebay

The Nikon camera featured (again) on TVSN was the Coolpix 900,yes it came with a "free bag and XD card" costing $699.00 + postage,man that 83 x zoom is a killer.

The funny thing was ebay had it for $50.00 cheaper (no "free stuff") and free postage.

Just goes to show,look around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the Coolpix if you wish. If your interest in photography extends beyond holiday snaps and family get-togethers, you will inevitably be drawn to a DSLR (or mirrorless) camera. Good luck.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 'real world' tech differences between a D5300, D5500 and D5600 are(for all intents and purposes) meaningless.
    That is to update from a D5300 to either a D5500 or D5600 all you get is some useless wireless feature that just gobbles up lots of battery power.

The primary/underlying tech in all three D5300-5600 models hasn't changed in about 6 years. Very high quality 24Mp sensor .. maybe a few frames extra burst speed, and maybe buffer increase .. but either camera will give pretty much the same image, quality for a given ISO value, as the other.

The only other tech feature of note that usually gets updated with each body model is a better AF system. I'd have to look them all up, but I can't ever remember the AF system being properly updated between each of those models.

Why you'd want a D7100 over a D5300. D7100 has a much better AF system.
    The difference is one of those things that you would notice when photographing birds.
    As Hawthy said, there are those features like flash sync, controlling ability for slave flashes .. etc .. and all can be handy to have.

More handy hardware features to have access too that the D7100 has over the D5xxx and D3xxx models:
    * the ability to work with non CPU lenses. Many of these old, sometimes very cheap manual lenses have fantastic IQ. Also a bit of a treat to get back to working for your shots .. manual focusing, and stuff like that.
    In addition to that ability to meter and use focus confirmation, you can also store a number of non CPU lens specs in the camera, then choose them as you use those lenses. This way EXIF is added to confirm the lens used for a given shot.

Possibly the most two important hardware feature advantage the D7xxx bodies are:
    * viewfinder .. much brighter and larger uses prism as opposed to mirrors
    * the command/sub command controls. ie. one control wheel for each of shutter and aperture.
    My second biggest gripe with the D5500 is the single command wheel to control either shutter or aperture .. it just feels wrong!(major gripe is that the body is just too small for me, gets uncomfortable after a short time).

Another body feature advantage in the D7xxx is the ability to change AF settings easily with a button-dial combo, rather than delve into annoying menus.
    There's a dedicated AF button for menu/config variations.
    Not obvious to the first timer, but once you've shot for a while, easy access to variable configurations could be something to pay a bit more for.
    On a similar note, same with a dedicated AF-On button! Some folks call it Back Button Focusing. It's just simply AF-On. this little button can be worth it's weight in plastic! makes a world of difference in difficult situations.
    In saying that tho, AE-L button can be configured to be used as an AF-On item.

Sensor is the same. So image quality at any given ISO value will be near identical between D7100/7200 and D5300-5600 AND D3300-D3500 .. they all use the same sensor. Sensor gets a tweak with every model, but underlying IQ from all those cameras is near identical IQ.
    What can make a difference in IQ tho is focus accuracy. This is where the D7100 will(or could) yield a shot where the D5xxx or even to a greater degree the D3xxx models can fare worse off.
    Where you may get a blurry image due to misfocus with the D5xxx/D3xxx cameras, the D7xxx cameras may get it in focus.
    D7100 has more focus points, more X type focus points and a faster and more accurate system for focusing.

With fast pro grade, large aperture lenses .. the focusing issue may be less relevant.. that is a 70-200/2.8 will focus just a quickly on a D3xxx as it will on a D7xxx .. just a blistering quick focus lens.
    But when choosing small aperture slower focusing consumer grade lenses, it can make a difference, and as light levels get lower and lower .. it WILL make a difference.

Another hardware feature not normally addressed is that with the D7xxx bodies, the bodies themselves are far more durable. They feel 'more hefty' .. a little heavier, etc. but this is because they have a bit of magnesium in them in strategic areas.
    D7xxx bodies not quite as durable as a the higher end Dxxx bodies with all magnesium build, but still have a more solid feeling.
    If lighter weight in more important, then the D5xxx/3xxx bodies are obviously the better option here.

As with the D7xxx bodies over the D5xxx bodies advantage, the D5xxx bodies have the same(but less) advantage over the D3xxx bodies.
    Major advantage that the D5xxx has over all models discussed so far is just that fully articulating screen.
    I have to be honest here and while the D5500 is my daughters camera .. I use is primarily for the tilting screen! If I have an awkward position to get into to get a shot, I use that in preference to my cameras!

Other than focus system and some other obscure features that put the D3xxx bodies to a disadvantage, the primary one is that raw file capture is limited to 12bit only(as opposed to 14bit as an option).
    Not entirely problematic, but in some scenes, where you push process as far as possible, it does make a difference.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking the time and effort everyone

Great links with great informative posts.

My choice of Nikon DSLR cameras looks done.

Thanks again
    Last edited by The Fisher King; 07-02-2019 at 10:32am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    I have a precursor to the D5300, a D5100. I do like it but I sometimes wish that I had bought the precursor to the D7100, the D7000. The higher models have features that you might not even know about now (and might not ever use) but you just might want to use in future.

An example is High-Speed Synch (HSS). This allows you to use a flash with a high shutter speed. Without it, you can only use a flash with a maximum shutter speed of 250 frames per second. You might want to photograph indoor sports, bird photography in dim light, or a portrait in fading light. HSS will allow you to use a flash with a higher shutter speed producing crisper photos. Also, the D7100 can be used as the master controller in a shot where you are using multiple wireless flash units. You can buy cheap flash controllers that sit in your hot shoe that do the same thing but still...

As well as additional features, the D7100 has a more robust body being made out of alloy rather than plastics. As far as I know the sensors are identical. The articulating screen on the D5300 is useful when taking low photos and for composing landscapes. I don't know why they don't make this a feature on all Nikons, to be honest.

You would be happy with either but maybe you should go to a camera store and look at the current models and ask the sales staff to explain the differences.
    Go to a camera store,good idea,why didn't I think of that

I will be going to the Big Smoke on the 23rd so I might stick my nose in then.

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A camera store staffed by people with sound product knowledge and a keen customer service ethic is a great place to go if you can find the right place and the right person to help you. Photo gear can mop up huge amounts of money and a sharp salesman can talk you into spending much more than you need to on gear which you simpy don't need.

Ideally, you need to work out well in advance how much money you are prepared to spend, what features you must have and what things fall into the "nice but not essential" category. A little guidance is good and can alert you to features you weren't aware of but I always try to remember that the salesman's job, first and foremost, is to sell.

Good hunting.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fisher King View Post
    Go to a camera store ......
    Sometimes a rush of blood to the head at the wrong time can lead to the lightening of the wallet(or bank account).
    Been there, done that.
    BUT!!! .. be very mindful! They will try to sell you UV/Protection filters. Avoid!! .. avoid like the plague. Well.. not that bad, but not needed.
    Other accessories they try to load you up with .. cards(they'll be expensive), and bags.
    Either way, you will need them. Have at least two cards, on a 24Mp Nikon shooting raw file, I'd say ~ 25-40Mb per file .. so 16-64Gb cards will do nicely.
    They will nett you about 850 image per 32Gb, which should be plenty enough. 2nd card is as backup. SD cards can be notorious for corrupting. Not too hard to drop and lose one too.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    the 'real world' tech differences between a D5300, D5500 and D5600 are(for all intents and purposes) meaningless.
    That is to update from a D5300 to either a D5500 or D5600 all you get is some useless wireless feature that just gobbles up lots of battery power.

The primary/underlying tech in all three D5300-5600 models hasn't changed in about 6 years. Very high quality 24Mp sensor .. maybe a few frames extra burst speed, and maybe buffer increase .. but either camera will give pretty much the same image, quality for a given ISO value, as the other.

The only other tech feature of note that usually gets updated with each body model is a better AF system. I'd have to look them all up, but I can't ever remember the AF system being properly updated between each of those models.

Why you'd want a D7100 over a D5300. D7100 has a much better AF system.
    The difference is one of those things that you would notice when photographing birds.
    As Hawthy said, there are those features like flash sync, controlling ability for slave flashes .. etc .. and all can be handy to have.

More handy hardware features to have access too that the D7100 has over the D5xxx and D3xxx models:
    * the ability to work with non CPU lenses. Many of these old, sometimes very cheap manual lenses have fantastic IQ. Also a bit of a treat to get back to working for your shots .. manual focusing, and stuff like that.
    In addition to that ability to meter and use focus confirmation, you can also store a number of non CPU lens specs in the camera, then choose them as you use those lenses. This way EXIF is added to confirm the lens used for a given shot.

Possibly the most two important hardware feature advantage the D7xxx bodies are:
    * viewfinder .. much brighter and larger uses prism as opposed to mirrors
    * the command/sub command controls. ie. one control wheel for each of shutter and aperture.
    My second biggest gripe with the D5500 is the single command wheel to control either shutter or aperture .. it just feels wrong!(major gripe is that the body is just too small for me, gets uncomfortable after a short time).

Another body feature advantage in the D7xxx is the ability to change AF settings easily with a button-dial combo, rather than delve into annoying menus.
    There's a dedicated AF button for menu/config variations.
    Not obvious to the first timer, but once you've shot for a while, easy access to variable configurations could be something to pay a bit more for.
    On a similar note, same with a dedicated AF-On button! Some folks call it Back Button Focusing. It's just simply AF-On. this little button can be worth it's weight in plastic! makes a world of difference in difficult situations.
    In saying that tho, AE-L button can be configured to be used as an AF-On item.

Sensor is the same. So image quality at any given ISO value will be near identical between D7100/7200 and D5300-5600 AND D3300-D3500 .. they all use the same sensor. Sensor gets a tweak with every model, but underlying IQ from all those cameras is near identical IQ.
    What can make a difference in IQ tho is focus accuracy. This is where the D7100 will(or could) yield a shot where the D5xxx or even to a greater degree the D3xxx models can fare worse off.
    Where you may get a blurry image due to misfocus with the D5xxx/D3xxx cameras, the D7xxx cameras may get it in focus.
    D7100 has more focus points, more X type focus points and a faster and more accurate system for focusing.

With fast pro grade, large aperture lenses .. the focusing issue may be less relevant.. that is a 70-200/2.8 will focus just a quickly on a D3xxx as it will on a D7xxx .. just a blistering quick focus lens.
    But when choosing small aperture slower focusing consumer grade lenses, it can make a difference, and as light levels get lower and lower .. it WILL make a difference.

Another hardware feature not normally addressed is that with the D7xxx bodies, the bodies themselves are far more durable. They feel 'more hefty' .. a little heavier, etc. but this is because they have a bit of magnesium in them in strategic areas.
    D7xxx bodies not quite as durable as a the higher end Dxxx bodies with all magnesium build, but still have a more solid feeling.
    If lighter weight in more important, then the D5xxx/3xxx bodies are obviously the better option here.

As with the D7xxx bodies over the D5xxx bodies advantage, the D5xxx bodies have the same(but less) advantage over the D3xxx bodies.
    Major advantage that the D5xxx has over all models discussed so far is just that fully articulating screen.
    I have to be honest here and while the D5500 is my daughters camera .. I use is primarily for the tilting screen! If I have an awkward position to get into to get a shot, I use that in preference to my cameras!

Other than focus system and some other obscure features that put the D3xxx bodies to a disadvantage, the primary one is that raw file capture is limited to 12bit only(as opposed to 14bit as an option).
    Not entirely problematic, but in some scenes, where you push process as far as possible, it does make a difference.
    Added to this, I think the D7100 has AF fine tune, the D5300 doesn't.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    ...I think the D7100 has AF fine tune...
    I combed DPR's review, and... it does:
    AF fine tune • AF fine tune (On/Off)
    On
    Off
    • Saved value (+/- 20)
    • Default (+/- 20)
    • List saved values

Furthermore, even before this I found:
    a3 Focus tracking with lock-on
    • 5 (Long)
    • 3 (Normal)
    • 1 (Short)
    • Off
    Controls how focusing is affected by subject distance changing and how quickly the system should react.

- Not bad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a D7100 a while back. After eight months, the AF stopped working completely. Major repair job. About six months later, the screen stopped working completely. Another major repair job -- two in less than eighteen months!!! Get a full frame camera.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the D5500 and the D7200, and one of the differences that made the biggest improvement in my photography, was the size of the D7200. I found the D7200 fits much better in my hands. I find the bigger camera more comfortable in my hands, and therefore easier to hold the camera steady.

Focus isn't everything in taking tack sharp photos... making sure the image isn't creeping across the sensor while the shutter is open is just as important...

If you can get your hands onto the 2 models your considering, it could help you see what feels more comfortable to hold. (Note: I believe the D5500 and D5600 are slightly smaller than the D5300, so if you can't get your hands on the exact model, you won't be getting an accurate feel)

John
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."