User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: A bit of blatant self promotion

  1. #1
    Ausphotography Veteran Cargo's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Aug 2011
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    2,203
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A bit of blatant self promotion

    Hi Guys,

    I entered a competition last year "2018 Photographer of the Year' run by the Australian Photography Magazine, it consisted of several categories & yesterday the winners were announced.

    http://www.australianphotography.com...ic-the-winners

    In the Category of "Photo of the Year" .... I was awarded the Runner-up !!!
    Wow !! I was thrilled to bits and quite humbled at the same time, considering the calibre of many of the photos.

    Anyway here is the page from the magazine with the announcement and a review from one of the judges, I'm also going to add the actual photo as the copy is not so good.

    AP Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 8.jpg

    AP 2 AustralianPhotoComp POY.jpg

    As I said a bit of trumpet blowing on my behalf ... Why not I reckon
    Only downside ..... My covers blown

    Cheers Cargo

  2. #2
    Loves The Wildlife. Mary Anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Southside.
    Posts
    40,222
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and Well Done Cargo

    I shoot with Canon and Olympus Cameras.. And My iPhone SE
    And sometimes a Little Old Panasonic DMC-TZ7



  3. #3
    Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Sep 2011
    Location
    Gladstone
    Posts
    13,327
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not indeed. It's a fabulous image Cargo - I love the strong shapes and colours in it. Congratulations!!
    Glenda



  4. #4
    Member blkmcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Nov 2011
    Location
    Bayswater
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, congratulations C.

    Mike

  5. #5
    Always learning Ionica's Avatar
    Join Date
    16 Mar 2010
    Location
    Blue Mountains
    Posts
    2,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. .
    Last edited by Ionica; 30-01-2019 at 6:14pm.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.


  6. #6
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    16,265
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Carol, and it is a great image. Funnily for me the thongs or sandals captured my eye. Like they have just been abandoned over there. Such a simply photo, but with so many individual things to look at. Well deserved runner-up.
    Last edited by ricktas; 30-01-2019 at 6:31pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    RICK
    My Photography

  7. #7
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Cargo's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Aug 2011
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    2,203
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Congratulations and Well Done Cargo
    Thanks Mary Anne

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    Why not indeed. It's a fabulous image Cargo - I love the strong shapes and colours in it. Congratulations!!
    Thanks heaps Glenda

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by blkmcs View Post
    Nice work, congratulations C.

    Mike
    Cheers Mike

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ionica View Post
    Congratulations. .
    Thankyou Ionica

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Congratulations Carol, and it is a great image. Funnily for me the thongs or sandals captured my eye. Like they have just been abandoned over there. Such a simply photo, but with so many individual things to look at. Well deserved runner-up.
    Thanks a lot Rick

  8. #8
    Carpe Diem Gazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Mar 2013
    Location
    無聊的 Birdwoodton
    Posts
    9,198
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big confidence booster indeed. Congratulations!

  9. #9
    Ausphotography Addict Geoff79's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Mar 2011
    Location
    Umina Beach
    Posts
    5,784
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big congrats! It is a great shot; as simple as it is effective. Very well spotted and taken.

  10. #10
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Cargo's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Aug 2011
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    2,203
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Big confidence booster indeed. Congratulations!
    Cheers Gazza

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Big congrats! It is a great shot; as simple as it is effective. Very well spotted and taken.
    Thanks heaps Geoff

  11. #11
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Join Date
    01 Dec 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,093
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and well done Carol, such a striking composition.

    When I first glanced at the photo, it had the appearance of a computer generated image due to the well-defined lines, geometrical layout and blocks of colour.

    Cheers

    Dennis
    Dennis

  12. #12
    Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Nov 2010
    Location
    magical Mudgee
    Posts
    20,840
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't know your name was Carol. Must be fun around Christmas time.
    Well done and you should be proud of the achievement.

  13. #13
    Ausphotography Regular Ross M's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and well deserved. The style and processing remind me of Jeffrey Smart paintings.

  14. #14
    I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Mar 2010
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    2,484
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not surprised your photo was highly placed. It is a totally different point of view, but works very well. Big congratulations

  15. #15
    Ausphotography Addict feathers's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Oct 2013
    Location
    cooktown
    Posts
    7,627
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be as blatant as you like, Carol Congratulations. Nice pic. Cheers.

  16. #16
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Cargo's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Aug 2011
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    2,203
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    Congratulations and well done Carol, such a striking composition.

    When I first glanced at the photo, it had the appearance of a computer generated image due to the well-defined lines, geometrical layout and blocks of colour.

    Cheers



    Dennis
    Many thanks Dennis

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I didn't know your name was Carol. Must be fun around Christmas time.
    Well done and you should be proud of the achievement.
    I become very popular at that time of year Mark
    And thanks a lot too

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    Congratulations and well deserved. The style and processing remind me of Jeffrey Smart paintings.
    Cheers Ross I'm off to look at Jeffery Smart now

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    I'm not surprised your photo was highly placed. It is a totally different point of view, but works very well. Big congratulations
    Thanks for your comment farmmax

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by feathers View Post
    Be as blatant as you like, Carol Congratulations. Nice pic. Cheers.
    Thanks feathers I'm enjoying it
    Last edited by Cargo; 31-01-2019 at 5:21pm.

  17. #17
    Ausphotography Regular Oakley's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2012
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    1,228
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great achievement and a wonderful photo indeed

    Thank you for sharing, the reviews were well said and I'm very happy for you and your award

  18. #18
    Ausphotography Regular Bensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Jan 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    780
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!!!
    -Andy
    ___________________________
    D90/D7200 | OM-D E-M1/E-M10 Mark II |

    All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.


  19. #19
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Cargo's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Aug 2011
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    2,203
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
    What a great achievement and a wonderful photo indeed

    Thank you for sharing, the reviews were well said and I'm very happy for you and your award
    Cheers Qakley Thanks for the comments ... By the way how are you holding up in the rain ?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post
    Congratulations!!!
    Many thanks Andy

  20. #20
    Ausphotography Regular Oakley's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Aug 2012
    Location
    Cairns
    Posts
    1,228
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cargo, Well at least we don't have to water our gardens

    My dogs are loving the puddles of mud but have to be dried off before coming inside which is a real challenge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •