Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Tassie fires

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tassie fires

Hoping all you Tassie members are copping and I obviously hope you are all safe.
    Today had 11 Emergency warnings active. Last I heard for all the fires combined there was 1100 kms of not contained fire edges. So this event is not ending any time soon.
    Such is the scale of things there's been many N.S.W R.F.S. people coming and going down there for the last 2 weeks.
    I have a couple of friends from here down there ATM and they reckon fire services are struggling because of the huge amount of fires they are dealing with. They haven't been in this position before. My better half is assigned to go down and do logistics stuff for a week from next Monday. (and the only upside to these fires is I can soon eat red meat instead of salads for a week. I'd rather eat salad if it meant no fires in Tassie )

I just check and now there is 12 Emergency warnings. They are the red symbols on the screen shot bellow. Yellow symbols are further potential problems.

Capture.JPG

All the best for you Tassie people (yes, I know, it takes something desperate for me to say that )

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes stay safe all our Tassie members. I remember the devastation of the last lot of huge fires which affected Tassie and hope they get these under control as soon as possible.

Enjoy your week of red meat Mark and hope Jayne stays safe while she's down there.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm Tassie has fires and we have floods (Townsville) we haven’t seen rain like this in years, the dam went from 60% to 2m over the spillway in 1 week.
    House bound for 3 days now.

Al

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axle01 View Post
    Hmmm Tassie has fires and we have floods (Townsville) we haven’t seen rain like this in years, the dam went from 60% to 2m over the spillway in 1 week.
    House bound for 3 days now.

Al
    I've been amazed watching how much rain and flooding there has been up north and apparently there could be a lot more. I used to have an uncle and aunt who lived in Blue Water and watching footage from there was mind boggling. Stay safe Al and I hope your property isn't adversely affected.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    I've been amazed watching how much rain and flooding there has been up north and apparently there could be a lot more. I used to have an uncle and aunt who lived in Blue Water and watching footage from there was mind boggling. Stay safe Al and I hope your property isn't adversely affected.
    No I’m safe Glenda thanks but I feel for the people affected by the fires in Tassie and the flood victims up here.

Al

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay safe people !
    Norman

Nikon D800E x 2 Nikon D500 14-24 2.8 24-70 80-400 afs vr 200-500 afs vr 16mm 2.8 1.4 &1.7 converters Tamron 90mm SB800 SB900 Flash Adobe Lightroom CC
    My FLICKR http://www.flickr.com/photos/open_shutter_media/

Ausphotography irregular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman View Post
    Stay safe people !
    I guess you are referring to people dealing with emergencies in Vic and W.A. over the last two days then???

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I missed this post when you originally posted it Mark. So belated thanks from us down here. Many of the fires are still burning, but no longer on the urban fringes. We still get very smokey days and the health warnings that go along with them. We got rain last night, for the first time this year, so hopefully that has occurred in the fire zones and dampened things down a bit too.

I feel for the Victorian firies right now with the mainstream media creating another beat-up about how much more they could/should have done. We live in Australia, bushfires happen. if you live in a rural area you have to expect it, it is not the firies fault. I live in a high-risk fire zone, as I am on the edge of the Mt Wellington Park. When I say on the edge, the road outside my house is the boundary line for the park. I accept that fire is a risk here, and I pay a premium on my house insurance to be covered for it. But I love the fact I can walk to waterfalls (3 of them) within about ten minutes. I can get to a gully that fills with the most amazing fungi in about 15 minutes walk.

I really do feel for the firies in Victoria, and the mainstream media needs to pull its head in.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly relevant and also interesting showing the very large turn-out required for times like these...

Sometimes it’s hard to grasp the true size of the Victorian bushfires.
    So here’s a video showing another perspective - our Tanker looking for a parking spot at Nar Nar Goon staging area.