User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Amazing Tips For Food Photography Ads

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing Tips For Food Photography Ads

I saw this on face Book today and I thought that it was an amazing way of manipulating the food so that it appears more photogenic, hence it will taste better

https://www.facebook.com/FirstMediaB...7970251925913/

I'm only assuming the suggestions are genuine because I have no experience in this area, but they seem to makes sense to me.
    I use a Nikon D200 and a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens . I do most of my editing in Gimp 2.10

My friends refer to me as "Snooks"

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what little I know about food photography, this is all 100% accurate, and probably worth noting down.

You certainly wouldn't eat the stuff.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I've seen or read about this before. If you've ever watched "The Checkout" on ABC they often have a segment where they show prepackaged food's advertising shot then it in real life - totally different.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very interesting video, Snooks. I started dabbling in some casual food photography when one of my daughters attempted to start a pastry catering side business. The most elaborate enhancement I adopted was a little spray from a water sprayer bottle. I then discovered some of the the gob-smacking tricks such as this. I also discovered there is a career called "food stylist" which is part of a team, of sometimes 10 people, who produce food advertising.

I recall McDonalds once produced their own behind the scenes video, owning up to minor tweaks, rather than the extremes we see in your video. Tricks like wedging the hamburger fillings in to be high at the front, for example. I think they were backing up their point that real ingredients were used .Of course, these ingredients were produced specifically for advertising, rather than a teenager trying to churn out product for a backed-up drive through. An interesting example of PR management. I imagine that commercial photographers are often encouraged to stretch the ethical boundaries. The ethics and legalities boil down to specific claims that are made. Implications is a grey area. I suppose most consumers have at least some educated skepticism these days.

I remember finding out that mashed potato looks remarkably like ice cream and of course does not melt. This video shows corn syrup shortening and food colouring used, so there's an update for me.

Glenda, I was a fan of the ABC TV show The Checkout. An eye-opener generally and the food package shot vs. reality was always good for a laugh. Consumer knowledge also leads to challenging truth in advertising.