Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do We Need a Black Friday...?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do We Need a Black Friday...?

...ANYthing? If it is defined as the first Friday after the US Thanksgiving holiday, why do we
    have to follow suit? - Cultural indiscriminants that we must be! - Just wndering.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 27-11-2018 at 2:08pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don’t like bargains?!

I have no idea who what why when and where the whole Black Friday thing is, but I do like cheap stuff so it’s ok by me.

Just wish I knew it was coming so I could have let my beer supplies run low and stock up on 20% off plus free shipping at BoozeBud!! I still got one great bargain but had spent too much on beer leading up to it to take full advantage.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just "Sale" would do, not the associated hype. And bargains, what are they? I suspect they are:
    "We ripped you off gooden proppa before, so here's a brief, slight reduction to make you think you're
    winning. tee-hee!"
    Last edited by ameerat42; 27-11-2018 at 3:40pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Just "Sale" would do, not the associated hype. And bargains, what are they? I suspect they are:
    "We ripped you off gooden proppa before, so here's a brief, slight reduction. tee-hee!"
    $45 for a case of Goose Island IPA was my crowning achievement. That’s a bargain!

But I do agree with you. Apart from the rare spot bargain like that it’s just slightly less expensive versions of too-expensive stuff. And I hate the whole following the US mentality too. ‘November Sale Bonanza’ appeals more to me than ‘Black Friday.’ Besides, in 2018 isn’t that just ridiculously racist anyway?

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The margins on some items do not seem to be reduced with camera gear in Oz that much at this stage, may be better to wait and buy one thing well than two things badly twice.
    Does not seem to affect the price of jousting sticks, oh well maybe next year

cheers Nick
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 27-11-2018 at 4:32pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    Does not seem to affect the price of jousting sticks, oh well maybe next year
    You're right! - They haven't been on special for (middle) ages

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez Am, a good day ruined
    I was hoping to have a tilt at windmills better sell the horse then.
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 27-11-2018 at 4:38pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think we are losing our identity by blindly/ dumbly aping american customs and, language and such
    less and less do i hear words like g'day and mate. now it's more buddy, hey and hi
    then there is halloween, base ball, basket ball and black friday
    there is nothing wrong with all this, for Americans.
    but for us it's?
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    ...but for us it's?...
    is the word, I think. Anyway, "have a nice day"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic a little and if that is not bad enough, I dont watch TV much though while passing ours recently I seen a Alec Baldwin Ad.
    Seems Mr Baldwin does not know what a Ute is Why !!!!! I bet lots of Aussies know what a Pick Up is
    Mr Baldwin isn't that why the Google research engine was invented, You Are A Little Slow or should that be behind the times Mate

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M A. You mean Alec Fuller? - On account of his being fuller himself

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, that should be "hisself"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AM, I was only thinking about this over the last couple of days

Everybody gets up in arms about following the "American" tradition of Halloween
    But
    I don't see people getting hot under the collar about the "American" tradition of "Black Friday" and the sales/bargains/deals, both online and more and more in local bricks and mortar retailers
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no accounting for... - just about everything, actually

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Black Friday makes me think of a bush fire disaster we should be commemorating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Black Friday makes me think of a bush fire disaster we should be commemorating.
    That's what comes to mind first to me too & why are we celebrating it? Remembrance isn't normally done with material extravagance, however, there has been some tasty 15% off deals that was tempting especially with cash back bonuses (cash card etc), but I resisted.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too think we blindly follow American traditions. Well it's not really us - it's the retailers who foist them onto us for the sake of more sales. I know when I was young we never worried about Valentines Day, Halloween, etc. Now you visit the shops in October and they are decked out in Halloween things but, we've never had anyone trick or treating at our door. February it's roses and chocolates and November it's Black Friday sales everywhere. I did hear one news report say they expect the Black Friday sales to eclipse the Boxing Day sales shortly - maybe because it comes before Christmas.

Nowadays it seems there are almost constant sales whereas years ago they seemed to occur only once or twice a year. I remember my father telling me about a business that was having a closing down sale which was so successful they kept operating for another 5 years.
    Glenda

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree..., agree..., agree...
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    ...we've never had anyone trick or treating at our door...
    Oh, how lucky! They used to come around up to a couple of years ago, even though we nevva used to put
    the silly balloons out to show it was welcome.

Agree..., agree...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve hated the increase of interest in Halloween over the last few years because I always saw it as some stupid American thing too. We always made a point to go out for dinner on Halloween night to avoid the silliness. Or just pretended we weren’t home if they started too early.

Anyway, this year, early evening on Halloween, my kids asked to go trick or treating (stupid daycare!! ) and I found myself zipping around town near and after 6pm trying to find some cheap last minute costumes at our local Woolies, Coles, Kmart it whatever was open. All completely sold out. Nothing. Not even some devil horns or something. Stupid day.

The kids weren’t too disappointed as a lovely staff member at Woolies let them pick some lollies from a bucket there, even though we didn’t buy anything, so that was nice. But sadly for them, no trick or treating happened. Though the time we got back home they were more or less asleep anyway.

Anyway, moral of the story is next year I’ll be buying costumes early and participating... well, via the kids. Never, never ever thought I’d see that day. Gasp.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Black Friday” and the rest are just marketing exercises—any excuse to promote a shopping frenzy. You’d think it would work just as well for Australian retailers as for Americans but its main effect for me is a vast increase in spam email from Adorama and the like. Nothing from Ted’s. Im grateful for that but wonder how many sales Ted’s are missing out on.

Halloween isn’t American but European. The American take on it is pretty seductive though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    “Black Friday” and the rest are just marketing exercises—any excuse to promote a shopping frenzy. You’d think it would work just as well for Australian retailers as for Americans but its main effect for me is a vast increase in spam email from Adorama and the like. Nothing from Ted’s. Im grateful for that but wonder how many sales Ted’s are missing out on.

Halloween isn’t American but European. The American take on it is pretty seductive though.
    You just have to buy or create an account with DigiDirect & DCW & others & then you'll get all their advertising emails too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast