User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Am I ugly?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I ugly?

This Cocky has been a constant visitor at snack times for over 18 months. His appearance has never improved, feathers never seem to grow back and i'm assuming that it is an infection of some sort, as against being bullied by the other Cockys. But he does get picked on every time he comes and to his credit, he gives them all he has got and does not back down. So we can't understand why he is bullied so constantly

The focus is poor and the exposure is too blown to be rectified, but I wanted to share the image of a bird that is so ugly, it almost makes him cute. He has character, he will take bread from your hands and he is very trusting, especially with Taylor.

We thought that he may be an escapee, hence his being bullied by the others, but we don't think so now. Sadly, it is not for us to interfere and try and treat his ailment and all we can do is offer him food when he chooses to visit us.

Am I Ugly? by Tony Warne, on Flickr

Am I Ugly #2? by Tony Warne, on Flickr
    Last edited by Snooks; 14-11-2018 at 9:09am.
    I use a Nikon D200 and a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens . I do most of my editing in Gimp 2.10

My friends refer to me as "Snooks"

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD), is highly contagious, and if you can catch the bird, do so, and take to a WIRES or nearest vet, I never like to "guess" a birds disease, but if it is PBFD, best to get the bird looked at and properly diagnosed... can /will be a slow and painfull death
    But like i said..dont like to guess, could also be a number of other reason... mites, bad diet, fungal, parasites... the list goes on
    Last edited by paulheath; 14-11-2018 at 9:22am.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul.

I don't think catching him would prove an issue, he takes food from Taylors hand, but WIRES around here are very unreceptive to being contacted.

We have encountered many injured animals over the years, blue tongues, possums, birds etc and have probably called wires on a dozen occasions and I do not believe we have received a reply on even one occasion. (They are the only group that deal solely with native animals as far as I know.)

Taylor and I both submitted applications 5 years ago to join and despite numerous emails and 2-3 phones calls, we received absolutely no reply, no information or assistance from them at all. So we gave up

I will get Taylor to chat with her Vet, she gets on well with her and perhaps she will look at the Cocky if we take it to her surgery.

Thank you for your advice
    Last edited by Snooks; 14-11-2018 at 9:32am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was going to say sarcastically that "He's married!" (Sorry ladies...) bit hard to tell in that light, looks like a she(?) to me....(brown-ish eye?)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Was going to say sarcastically that "He's married!" (Sorry ladies...) bit hard to tell in that light, looks like a she(?) to me....(brown-ish eye?)
    LOL. A glutton for punishment.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
    Hi Paul.

I don't think catching him would prove an issue, he takes food from Taylors hand, but WIRES around here are very unreceptive to being contacted.

We have encountered many injured animals over the years, blue tongues, possums, birds etc and have probably called wires on a dozen occasions and I do not believe we have received a reply on even one occasion. (They are the only group that deal solely with native animals as far as I know.)

Taylor and I both submitted applications 5 years ago to join and despite numerous emails and 2-3 phones calls, we received absolutely no reply, no information or assistance from them at all. So we gave up

I will get Taylor to chat with her Vet, she gets on well with her and perhaps she will look at the Cocky if we take it to her surgery.

Thank you for your advice
    We take all the injured and sick looking Wild Birds to the local Vet there is no charge here in Qld.
    It should be the same in NSW.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
    ... Sadly, it is not for us to interfere and try and treat his ailment and all we can do is offer him food when he chooses to visit us.
    And thus by feeding you are interfering?
    It looks like white bread you have feed the bird? If so this offers no nutrition or benefit to the bird. Sunflower seed is a starting point for feeding these birds.
    I withdraw seeds placed for king parrots when these birds turn up. I don't want them hanging around chewing on our decks railings.
    Last edited by Mark L; 14-11-2018 at 10:49pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    And thus by feeding you are interfering?
    It looks like white bread you have feed the bird? If so this offers no nutrition or benefit to the bird. Sunflower seed is a starting point for feeding these birds.
    I withdraw seeds placed for king parrots when these birds turn up. I don't want them hanging around chewing on our decks railings.
    I believe Taylor leaves them out a bowl of "parrot" mix food, together with some bits of multigrain bread and she gives them chopped up fruit which I think mainly the Rainbow Lorikeets and Rosellas eat.

But the Cockys seem to favour the bread. According to information from Taylor, the Vet she takes the dog to said feeding bread is ok as long as it is not mouldy and that the bread is not the sole food for the bird. Given the birds are wild, the bread is supplementary and albeit of little nutritional value, it offers no issues or danger of causing health problems. Its a treat, or a snack

Sunflower seeds are not recommended in large quantities because they can cause issues with parrots as they are high in fibre, have little nutrients and cause body fat in parrots and galahs.
    But again.....we provide snacks, not meals and the birds need to hunt and source their own food so providing sunflower seeds is of no real issue or concern.

The Magpies have a supply of chopped up meat and food from our plates and seem to relish on those tit bits.

I would rather believe that we are "interacting" rather than "interfering". If we were to attempt to capture they bird, keep him overnight, transport to the vet etc, then I think we would be interfering. Even if it is for his own good.

So at this stage, if they turn up for a feed we will provide it and if that's classed as interfering, then, so be it. People are entitled to their own opinion, as we are entitled to do what we do,

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Snooks, as the most obvious loss is headfeathers, let us hope it is age induced baldness, as is mine. Absolutely no feathers at all, and not much hair.
    cheers marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One birds ugly is another birds "character".