Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Nikon D7500?

Ausphotography Veteran Brigitte's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D7500?

Is anyone using this camera? I work with the D7000 and every now and then think I should upgrade. What attracts me is the faster shutter speed, better results at higher ISO and the tilt screen.
    The turn off is the price as this is just a hobby and the old camera will have little resale value.
    If you own the D7500 is it worth the investment, are you happy with the results?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say ... due to this section of your post ..

Quote Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
    The turn off is the price as this is just a hobby and the old camera will have little resale value.
    I reckon you may still find a D7200 or even D7100 somewhere for sale new!

Main point for that is that now that they're 'superseded' prices will be about as low as they're ever going to be for them .. new!

eg. I do remember a D7200 used to retail for Au$1500 or more, and came down slowly in price after about 6 months after release.

I know that a lot of places have them body only for less than Au$900 plus free postage(eg. ebay).

I remember about a year or so ago(bit over) Ryda had some Nikon stuff quite cheap.
    I remember D7200 + 18-140VR lens for about $1K(something like $999 or whatever).
    Seriously thought to get that kit, but had to contain myself .. and remember what it was I 'needed'.
    Ended up getting daughter a D5500+18-140VR lens .. dainty little D5500 was perfectly sized for her tiny little hands.

if you're in no rush, keep peeking about for specials(ie. check Ryda ever now and then).

FYI:
    * D7100, basically the same thing as a D7200(same sensor) main difference is the buffer. How many images the camera can store in it's own memory before the write to card. D7100 was very slow in buffer. Many folks complained about it.
    * D7200, for the price, I'd say the camera to get. If buffer is definitely not important to you D7100 will save you many $s, but I'd say D7200 is the better value for money.
    * D7500, mainly better camera all round, Apparently an advantage in high ISO, but I'd be damned if I can see it in any reviews. Main issue addressed was the buffer again, and also shooting speed(something like 8fps, over 6fps or some such insignificant difference).
    Main disadvantage of the D7500 over 7200/7100 is you can't add old manual lenses any longer and still get metering and aperture coupling. Massive downside for nerd/geeks that like old lenses
    The other major downside of the D7500 over the 71/7200's is the single card slot in the D7500. If you like having twin card slots, may be a factor.
    But as you already said ... price is the major downside of the D7500!

D7000 I remember was a very nice camera. Great ISO quality even up to ISO6400.
    I think in terms of an upgrade D7100/7200, you will see an advantage in many respects over the D7000.

Did you have a budget?

ps. I just had a quick peek again at Ryda, and noted they have refurb D7200's for between 900-1100.
    pps. only reason I mention Ryda, is I've bought from them, and I did so because I got good info that they're good with warranty claims. I never had to make one ... but sometimes you never know!
    Many cheaper sources on ebay, but I just don't trust them to do warranty claims properly.

ppps. you listed a few reasons for wanting to update.
    high ISO .. for sure. it will be better than what you get from the D7000. I think in terms of $/high ISO quality ... D7100/7200 is still a better value for money option in that area.
    You also listed faster shutter. By that I assume you mean faster frame rate, not shutter. Faster shutter is simply the fastest shutter speed available .. ie. 1/4000s vs 1/8000s.
    I'm sure you mean 6fps vs 8fps in that sense.
    Tilt screen, for sure.

I guess it's a matter of how much you're willing to pay for specific feature.
    Personally, I've used my daughters D5500, and it has the open out swing around tilt screen. I use it alot(almost all the time) if and when I do have a play with the D5500.
    BUT! .. I never use it to frame a photograph. Where I use the tilty/rotatey screen is that I flip it about and close it completely. ie. you can set the D5500 type tilt screen for the blank plastic face outwards. Protects the screen from scratching, no more nose marks, no distractions! .. etc.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I have read a few article which are in line with what you have stated re the D7200. Every now and then I go through this equipment lust stage and do a bit more investigation. When I finally get around to upgrading at least I know my decision will be based on sound advice. Oh, yes I did mean a faster frame rate. Cheers Brigitte

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vharperv has the D7200 Brigitte and I think she upgraded from the D7000. It's always easy to lust after new equipment - when I win lotto....... just have to put an entry in
    Last edited by Glenda; 07-11-2018 at 7:57am.
    Glenda

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem to 'lust over new gear' in my view.

As long as the lust is appropriately focused(on the right gear for the intended purpose).

What kind of photography do you predominantly like to do?
    Do you find you photograph wildlife/birds a lot?
    Do you primarily do flowers? landscapes? abstract?

The primary type of photography you do should focus the lust on the appropriate gear.

eg. I primarily do landscape photography. fast frame rates for this purpose are meaningless.
    As long as it does 3fps quickly(for when I sometimes shoot bracketed exposures), I'm happy.
    D800E shoots at about 5fps I think(to be honest I can't really remember! )
    That is, fast frame rate isn't as important to me as is dynamic range and pixels.

But I do like to(or want too) shoot a bit more birding stuff. Got a lens that is capable of doing this. 5fps is still more than enough for me for now, even tho more would be better.
    But it's a sideline genre that I 'try to achieve' as opposed to need to do more of(if that makes sense).
    So I muck about with what I can, with the limitations I have to work with.

My major issue for the past couple of years, has been finding the time to get out and shoot more!

eg. right now I'm wasting 15 mins before I scoot off to work. having a quick peek here to see what's happening. Hope I can help out with some tips/advice/help. etc, etc.

Another limitation I need to work within whilst trying to keep sane!

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did an upgrade a couple of months ago. I had the Nikon D90 and about 2 years ago I upgraded to the D5500 as it had the same sensor as the D7100/D7200 (or close enough). The image quality was fantastic, I loved the articulated touch screen, light weight and compact size - what I didn't like was having to go into the menus for so much.

Finally missing the extra manual controls from the D90, I lusted after the D500 but even a refurbished or used model was out of my budget. I went for a D7500. I know in some ways it is a downgrade from the D7200 but the fold out, touch screen gave me most of what I wanted in a screen and the manual controls fantastic. You do feel the weight difference from the D5500 but not the D90.

Is it perfect - no - but it is a good compromise. What I don't like is the lack of weather sealing. No seals and it doesn't seem as well weather resistant around the battery and card compartments. At least there are fewer exposed screws to go rusty (yes, after many years of seascapes, the screws on my D90 are rusty).

I really would have loved the backlit controls of the D500 but not the weight or extra size. It is a good compromise - I just need to be more cautious around water. I wouldn't say IQ is better than the 24mp DX Nikons but it certainly isn't worse. It's a bucket load better than my D90.

I sold the D5500 and so have the D90 & D7500.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    What I don't like is the lack of weather sealing. No seals and it doesn't seem as well weather resistant around the battery and card compartments. At least there are fewer exposed screws to go rusty (yes, after many years of seascapes, the screws on my D90 are rusty).
    Peter not sure where you got the impression the D7500 has no weather sealing, Nikon literature states the D7500 "......has comprehensive weather sealing...to prevent dust and water droplets....".
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevPride View Post
    Peter not sure where you got the impression the D7500 has no weather sealing".
    I shouldn't have said no weather sealing. I consider the weather sealing around the card door to be inadequate as there is no overlap between the rib on the battery door and the small quantity of rubber used. Less significant is the gap in the sealing on the battery door where the yellow battery retention lever sits The sealing should have been continued around to the base of the hinge.