User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  34

Thread: Top tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top tips?

With the warmer weather coming in, I've discovered a new way to attract insects for macro photography
    I paint something outdoors and leave it to dry........

Anyone else got any good tips for image content that comes from the side effects of household chores?
    Pentax K3, K100D Super, Sigma 18-50, Takamur-A 28-80, Pentax DA 50-200, Sicor 80-200, Tamron 2X teleconverter

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For macro, people can catch the insect, put it in the freezer for a few minutes. Slows its metabolism down, then they place it back into the environment and it will just sit still, till its body warms back up, and photos can be taken. Note I have not done this myself, but it has been something that has been part of photographing insects for decades now. It doesn't harm the insect, if handled carefully.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I tried it on my children but they made so much noise the neighbours complained.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    ^ I tried it on my children but they made so much noise the neighbours complained.
    You need a bigger freezer for children than you do for insects, and quite often need a good hour rather than a few minutes, and ensure the chirping stops before you remove them.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that if...

...you wanted to achieve true 1:1 reproduction, remove the lens from your camera to allow some
    inquisitive creature to crawl inside, where it could expire on the sensor surface, and...

-- Think of the detail you'd capture
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Female Green Jumping Spider that manages to come into our house and walks around on the ceiling.
    Hubby and I get it on our fluffy duster put it outside on a Hibiscus and the next day there she is back on the ceiling again.
    Next time I see her I will get a shot or two when I can. Leave your container of Honey in the pantry instead of the Fridge.
    Open the door when the lights are on and the Moths should fly in, easy to shoot the next day when they are sleeping.
    No way would I do that Freezer Tip though plenty of the Macro shooters on here did that years ago.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just macro or general? If general.....ALWAYS make sure you leave home with a camera battery or two AND a card or two.....trust me........its miserable when you don't

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you like shooting beach sunsets and sunrises.. get yourself a second tripod. I have two. One is only used at beaches, it gets washed with the hose and even then it is still so full of sand, that the legs won't lock properly, but it's still the tripod I use at the beach. Which leaves my other tripod in good condition for all other shooting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be very careful following Rick's advice re a second tripod. I tried that once a few years ago, and the damn things breed! I had just one tripod for ages, then I bought a second one, and now they are all over the place. Big ones, little ones, carbon fibre ones, twist-locks and flip locks. I tried protecting them by putting contraceptives on the feet, but I must be doing something wrong 'coz it isn't working.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be very careful following Rick's advice re a second tripod. I tried that once a few years ago, and the damn things breed! I had just one tripod for ages, then I bought a second one, and now they are all over the place. Big ones, little ones, carbon fibre ones, twist-locks and flip locks. I tried protecting them by putting contraceptives on the feet, but I must be doing something wrong 'coz it isn't working.
    Just curious, do you have a lot of children?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No children Jim, only lenses. And tripods. And cameras. And computers. And books of course. And socks, for some reason. I have tried spraying the house with oral contraceptives but it doesn't work. I have also tried leaving my wallet lying around in pleasantly-lit rooms with soft romantic music playing in case I can persuade $50 notes to breed, but without luck.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks for all the responses, I must admit I was being a little sarcastic when I posted the original about how wet paint attracts insects, but some good responses all the same

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no children and only one tripod. Never used a condom and what's this about oral contraceptives?? I still don't need to use them I'd think.
    Freezers for children another Royal Commission coming up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Liney View Post
    Anyone else got any good tips for image content that comes from the side effects of household chores?
    You're better of not doing the chores and going elsewhere for your content. Surely it's better to pay a painter so you can go and take photos.