Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop CC 2019 update and Nik plug ins

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photoshop CC 2019 update and Nik plug ins

I updated yesterday and now my Nik plug ins have disappeared and I can't see how to reinstall them without buying the DxO version. I did find I can right click on a jpeg or tiff file and choose open with > silver efex and it will open as a standalone with the image open. I'd be interested if there is a way to reinstall the older version of Nik plug ins as I'd prefer not to buy the newer version. I primarily use only silver efex and define. As I have Topaz Denoise I won't really miss define but will miss silver efex as it is definitely my preferred option for converting to b&w.

I also discovered using Shift+Opt(alt)+Cmd(ctrl)+E no longer works either. I now have to remember to press Comand (ctrl) first to make a new merged layer. I also had to redo all my preferences and window settings which is annoying.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a big update. I haven't had any real time to play but now notice that my 'Paid-for' version has disappeared as well. I'll havta see if I kept any details from them. Surely I would've?

I'm trying to upload the old Nik-ver to a Dropbox thingy and will send a link in another 14 mins 37 sec it reckons. (The joys of joining NBN!!!)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It rather looks as though it is incompatible with standard Windows versions - Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. Adobe, with their usual incompetence, have failed to publish the system requirements.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenda I assume you run a Mac? I'm not familiar with Macs, but on my PC plug-ins are still installed under the old version. I don't know if this will work for you (seems to work on PC) but perhaps if you create the same folder structure under the new install and copy the files across you might be able to access them? From memory copying the files across to the new install also works for presets, etc (on PC).

I haven't upgraded to CC2019, but you can see an example below where the old (CC2015) plug-ins are located and where they would be copied for CC2017 (on a PC)...

CC_folders.jpg

With regard to the 'stamp visible' issue I don't have any answer. I have found that it sometimes doesn't work (in CC2017) for some reason, but as it's intermittent I haven't got to the root of the problem (although probably not related here anyway...)

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Note that you would probably only need to copy over the sub-folders that you want to use (ie DFine & Silver Efex)...
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking forward to updating my Lightroom and Photoshop and was directed to an Adobe page telling me now is a good time to upgrade my OS. I'm on Windows 7 still and am quite happy with it. Unfortunately my subscription contract ends in March, so I've got to continue paying for updates I can't install. I'm not impressed. I'm going to have a look at Darkroom and Gimp and see if they'll do what I need.

Member formerly known as : Lplates
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Was a big update. I haven't had any real time to play but now notice that my 'Paid-for' version has disappeared as well. I'll havta see if I kept any details from them. Surely I would've?

I'm trying to upload the old Nik-ver to a Dropbox thingy and will send a link in another 14 mins 37 sec it reckons. (The joys of joining NBN!!!)
    Thanks Gaz, no joy on the PC either. I was just reading the new version is 64 bit and maybe the Nik software is 32 bit which can apparently make it incompatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    It rather looks as though it is incompatible with standard Windows versions - Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. Adobe, with their usual incompetence, have failed to publish the system requirements.
    Usually I check what the updates include as to whether I really want it but this time I blithely went ahead and updated. No major drama I can live without Nik.

Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    Glenda I assume you run a Mac? I'm not familiar with Macs, but on my PC plug-ins are still installed under the old version. I don't know if this will work for you (seems to work on PC) but perhaps if you create the same folder structure under the new install and copy the files across you might be able to access them? From memory copying the files across to the new install also works for presets, etc (on PC).

I haven't upgraded to CC2019, but you can see an example below where the old (CC2015) plug-ins are located and where they would be copied for CC2017 (on a PC)...

CC_folders.jpg

With regard to the 'stamp visible' issue I don't have any answer. I have found that it sometimes doesn't work (in CC2017) for some reason, but as it's intermittent I haven't got to the root of the problem (although probably not related here anyway...)

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Note that you would probably only need to copy over the sub-folders that you want to use (ie DFine & Silver Efex)...
    Thanks Phil. Damned if I can find plug ins on my mac. I do know they are supposed to be in the library folder but I can't see them. I was just reading that the new version is 64 bit so I'm wondering if the older Nik software is 32 bit which apparently makes it incompatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
    I was looking forward to updating my Lightroom and Photoshop and was directed to an Adobe page telling me now is a good time to upgrade my OS. I'm on Windows 7 still and am quite happy with it. Unfortunately my subscription contract ends in March, so I've got to continue paying for updates I can't install. I'm not impressed. I'm going to have a look at Darkroom and Gimp and see if they'll do what I need.
    That is annoying. I hate paying for something I can't use. Another option to look at is Topaz Studio. You get the basic version free and can add extras if you wish. I've had a few Topaz plug ins for a while and what I love is that they give free upgrades for life. A lot of the other options such as On1, Luminar seem to want you to upgrade every year which gets to be as expensive as Adobe subscription. Faststone is another free option which I know a few people use and like.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had a quick play and the 'Paid-for' version won't recognise CC2019; it wants to install on 'Bridge' Hmmm...a fat lot use that is to me. I'm sure they'd be fixing it soon? (surely?)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for that info, Glenda. I'll have a look at those and see how I go.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to the experience of others.

I ran the Adobe Updates and it said that PS and LR were updated and they appear to have been. PS now 19.1.6 and LR 8.0 and CR 11.0.

So far, those Plug Ins that I have exercised in PS CC have worked. They are:

Topaz Plug Ins.
    Topaz Studio.
    Nik from Dx0.
    ON1 Effects.

This is on a Win 10 Pro PC.

Hope those who are having problems manage to sort them out.

These upgrades should not damage or compromise the pre-update environment, it is immensely frustrating and disappointing when they do.

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now....I was having a really good look at on1 Photo Raw and lo and behold - I get an update advice from Adobe CC and have now successfully installed LR 8.0 and Photoshop 20 on my Windows 7 PC! There's still a blurb saying "Don't miss out on our latest and greatest release ever. Upgrade your OS", but it let me upgrade anyway. It will not let me install Lightroom CC - the non-Desktop-focused one - but that's OK, we're in Australia where it takes half an hour to upload a photo....if you're lucky...so have no interest in that anyway. ;-)

On the 'what's new' page for Photoshop, it says: "Beginning with the October 2018 release of Photoshop CC (version 20.0), the 32-bit version of Windows is no longer supported. For support with 32-bit drivers and plug-ins, use earlier versions of Photoshop." I had the free Nik software and none of it shows up in Photoshop (but DOES in Lightroom - Adobe really isn't known for consistency!!). The only thing that appears in Photoshop is On1 Develop and On1 Effects, which I have installed. I don't have any of the Topaz software.

Hope that sheds some light.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post

I ran the Adobe Updates and it said that PS and LR were updated and they appear to have been. PS now 19.1.6 and LR 8.0 and CR 11.0.

Topaz Plug Ins.
    Topaz Studio.
    Nik from Dx0.
    ON1 Effects.

These upgrades should not damage or compromise the pre-update environment, it is immensely frustrating and disappointing when they do.

Cheers

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis. Yes it was only my Google Nik ones that disappeared. Had I bought the new version they would probably be there. Now just have to work out if I use them enough to warrant buying them.

Well now....I was having a really good look at on1 Photo Raw and lo and behold - I get an update advice from Adobe CC and have now successfully installed LR 8.0 and Photoshop 20 on my Windows 7 PC! There's still a blurb saying "Don't miss out on our latest and greatest release ever. Upgrade your OS", but it let me upgrade anyway. It will not let me install Lightroom CC - the non-Desktop-focused one - but that's OK, we're in Australia where it takes half an hour to upload a photo....if you're lucky...so have no interest in that anyway. ;-)

On the 'what's new' page for Photoshop, it says: "Beginning with the October 2018 release of Photoshop CC (version 20.0), the 32-bit version of Windows is no longer supported. For support with 32-bit drivers and plug-ins, use earlier versions of Photoshop." I had the free Nik software and none of it shows up in Photoshop (but DOES in Lightroom - Adobe really isn't known for consistency!!). The only thing that appears in Photoshop is On1 Develop and On1 Effects, which I have installed. I don't have any of the Topaz software.

Hope that sheds some light.
    Glad you found a workaround and you're right my Nik plug ins are showing in Lr. I usually use ACR for raw conversion but maybe will have to change to Lr now.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found a workaround and you're right my Nik plug ins are showing in Lr. I usually use ACR for raw conversion but maybe will have to change to Lr now.
    I didn't actually do anything. I suspect they got that many complaints about it not working with Windows 7 that they reversed the decision - at least on 64 bit systems/OS, which mine is, since I have windows 7 Pro.

Until I find something that does easy panoramas and easy Geotagging, I'll probably have to stick with Lightroom, even though I hate how slow it is when browsing through photos.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...easy panoramas... ?and easy Geotagging...
    You might find MS ICE easy - and it's free
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    You might find MS ICE easy - and it's free
    Thanks ameerat - I used to use MS ICE years ago, in combination with Picasa - before I started shooting RAW, obviously. Then I started using LR. I'm going to finish editing what photos I still have from my last trip, and then look into the Darkroom and Gimp combo. I know Darkroom apparently does geotagging. Don't know about panoramas, but I might just have to go back to MS ICE for that part if not. I'd love to get away from Adobe, to be honest.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post

Topaz Plug Ins.
    Topaz Studio.
    Nik from Dx0.
    ON1 Effects.

Cheers

Dennis
    I discovered last night that everything was working fine on my laptop and it was just the PC (Main editing toy...) that Nik had disappeared from, go figure, they have the same everything...windows and Photoshop.
    I checked out the folders where things are stored and moved the DXO (Nik) into Program Files>Common Files>Adobe>Plug-ins>CC and hey presto...all good again! I'm sure that 'CC' folder wasn't there before?

Hope others get back on track again soon...cheers.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IME, Adobe employs some of the most brilliant programmers on the planet, then it employs a bunch of incompetents to 'stitch' the code together ...

If they were entering the market today, they'd go broke in a week ...

Last time I checked (late last year), many more people on the planet were still using WinXP 32 bit than use all Apple versions ...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    IME, Adobe employs some of the most brilliant programmers on the planet, then it employs a bunch of incompetents to 'stitch' the code together ...

If they were entering the market today, they'd go broke in a week ...

Last time I checked (late last year), many more people on the planet were still using WinXP 32 bit than use all Apple versions ...
    Yeah, don't get me started on their Apple-centrism! Many more people use Android devices than iOS devices and yet their focus is always first (and often, only!) on iOS versions of their apps. My LR and PS crash every time I close them on Windows, too, but I've learnt to live with it because non-Apple users don't seem to be taken seriously.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    IME, Adobe employs some of the most brilliant programmers on the planet, then it fills up the water cooler with LSD
    Sorry. Changed your quote a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I updated Photoshop yesterday on my MacBook pro BUT it didn't removed the old version. That requires a deliberate action which I haven't done yet.

I've opened the new version just to check the plug ins and topaz ones are there but not nik or skylum.

So I've just gone back to using the old version until all the bugs to sorted out.

Haven't tried LR yet as that's my main editor and I don't want to risk it

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    I updated Photoshop yesterday on my MacBook pro BUT it didn't removed the old version. That requires a deliberate action which I haven't done yet.

I've opened the new version just to check the plug ins and topaz ones are there but not nik or skylum.

So I've just gone back to using the old version until all the bugs to sorted out.

Haven't tried LR yet as that's my main editor and I don't want to risk it
    I haven't noticed any problems with the update to Lr and all my plugins, including Nik, are still available there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast