User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  18

Thread: Canon have ported Digital Photo Professional (DPP) to the iPad.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon have ported Digital Photo Professional (DPP) to the iPad.

Looks like Canon have ported Digital Photo Professional (DPP) to the iPad.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...sional-express

From the Canon website:

"For portable and wireless digital photography workflows, Canon's Digital Photo Professional Express (DPP Express) brings the powerful features of Canon's DPP software to your compatible iPad. Working with Canon's Camera Connect app*, DPP Express streamlines the processing of JPEGs and .CR3 RAW files with an intuitive and powerful interface. View images and adjust settings right on your mobile device, and save files to the cloud, a computer or your camera. With DPP Express, it's incredibly easy to maintain a wireless RAW workflow on the go.

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Ipad first when Android outsells Apple 5 to 1? Curious.

(No personal dog in this race. No interest in using toys to process pictures when there are real computers available.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tannin, it's almost always like that, unfortunately. I guess it's largely because iOS is where the money is, and there's not such a large variety of devices it needs to be compatible with.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Dennis I will have a look, as I do not want to get left behind.
    It could come in handy when away on holiday.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded it but the latest iPad IOS also downloaded and is being installed so I haven't had time to play with it.

I would be curious to see how the Digital Lens Optimiser (DLO) works, although I assume I would have to purchase a Canon Camera that saves CR3 files in order to use DLO - I'm guessing DLO will not work on JPGs generated from my CR2 Files?

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why it wouldn't work on CR2s. It is available with most of my cameras, and they generate CR2s.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't work on CR2s. It is available with most of my cameras, and they generate CR2s.
    My reading of the announcement is that "DPP Express" on the iPad only supports the new Canon CR3 (Raw compressed & lossless) Format and JPGs. Unlike the full DPP on a desktop computer, legacy CR2 files (and TIFs, PNGs, etc.) are not supported by "DPP Express" on the iPad .

It also looks like the CR3 files need to be acquired on the iPad via Canon's "Canon Connect", so the entry requirements for this workflow process to work are quite strict.

In terms of legacy CR2 Raw uncompressed files, I can upload these directly to my iPad via the Apple SD Card Adapter and they are stored on the iPad in a Photo App (not the native Camera Roll) as CR2s, although the Apple Photo App will only display a JPG rendering of the CR2 Raw File.

The main reasons for uploading CR2s to my iPad (e.g. when I am camping) is for back up purposes and to be able to view the JPG on a larger screen.

Cheers

Dennis
    Last edited by nardes; 10-10-2018 at 10:37pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just tried to download CR2 images from my Canon EOS M6 and it proved unsuccessful.

DPP Express informed me that "This image format is not supported by the linked app." which I assume was the DPP Express App linked via Camera Connect App, both on the same iPad.

• I connected the EOS M6 to the iPad via Wi-Fi using the Canon "Camera Connect" App on the iPad.
    • In Camera Connect I could Browse and the Raw Files.
    • I then opened DDP Express on the iPad and asked it, very nicely, to "Import from Canon Camera Connect (RAW/JPG)" which then transferred me to "Camera Connect" where I could see my Raw files.
    • I selected a Raw file and it failed to save the image.

I'll probably leave the DPP Express App on the iPad and play around with JPGs from the EOS M6 and see if I like it.

The only current use I can imagine is if I shoot JPGs in-camera and want to do some quick cropping/editing for sending to family and friends if I am away from my desktop PC. I am not a blogger, nor on any social media platform, so I guess the App isn't really targeted at this Luddite.

Cheers

Dennis

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found an on-line Canon document that confirms for Raw you require CR3 files. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new beaut Canon EOS-R...

Or, shoot JPGs.

After an initial play with DPP Express, if you do not have any other photo editing App(s) on your Tablet, it seems to do a good job and gives you Edit Histories, so you can see the progression of your edits and select a previous state.

As expected, the Digital Lens Optimiser, WB, and other "Raw only" Modules are "greyed out" when processing JPGs, as those elements can only be modified when using Raw Files.

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humph! - I haven't got an Apple iPad - But better: I have a tablet that runs
    on Win 10 OTOH, I have no Canon camera
    (So I put "full" DPP on the main laptop and tried some sample CR2s - Mn-yeah, OK!)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    Just found an on-line Canon document that confirms for Raw you require CR3 files. Looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new beaut Canon EOS-R...

Or, shoot JPGs.
    Or use a real computer instead of a toy.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Or use a real computer instead of a toy.
    I just don't get all this ability to edit on a small screen?? What does CR3 files offer there?? How good is the detail on that ipad that you are editing??

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it comes down to using the best tool for the job at hand. When camping, I have found the iPad Pro to be a useful viewing and editing platform for photos to send to family and friends whilst still at the campsite.

Having another tool such as DPP Express in the Toolbox, provides me with other options should I want to import and edit images whilst away from home for several days.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough Dennis. I guess it depends on where you tolerance for clunkiness sits. I take a laptop on any trip, but practically never do any PP on it because, without a proper keyboard and a decent screen, well, what would be the point? I just use it to upload and backup pictures, and to check that I'm not doing anything really stupid with them. And to keep in touch with email, read AP, and so on, of course. But I only ever do even basic first-pass sorting with an external keyboard. (Which I sometimes use, sometimes don't, depending on how comfortable the campsite is and how much time I have.) Laptop keyboards are just so awkward and clunky. And you can't get the screen and the keyboard both at the right angle at the same time, or set the screen back at a comfortable viewing distance.

As for the "keyboard" on a tablet, no. Just no. In any case, I have yet to see a tablet with anything like enough storage space to do duty as an upload device, not unless you are using external drives, in which case you are already dealing with mess and clunkiness so you might as well use a real computer.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good points Tony, horses for courses seems appropriate here.

I found our 1st iPad quite an alien beast (we don't have mobile 'phones), as I did my 1st Mirrorless Camera (EOS M); too small and clumsy. Many times I almost consigned these new fangled devices to the "interesting but no thanks" or "too hard" category, but had to rely on them several times when my preferred resources were not available.

This forced me to explore these devices in a different way in order to solve the immediate problem (usually a 1st World Problem rather than anything really serious ). I found that I subsequently discovered a new way to incorporate them into my hobbies and interests. Sometimes it was painful; either because of the device Design, User Interface or simply an old dog having to learn new tricks - mostly the latter. I even dallied, occasionally, with Siri (dictation) to bypass the tedious use of the keyboard.

In the end, I found new ways of doing things and a whole bunch of new stuff that was interesting. My iPad Pro has 256GB of storage and apart from User Manuals and a few good reference books, there isn't much on there (no music, movies, TV shows, etc.) so it easily backs up a week's shooting when camping as I generally have some 240 GB free space and a superb screen for viewing photos, manuals, etc. I keep it charged using a 12V 7AH DC Sealed Lead Acid Battery which also provides tent lighting at night, and this serves me easily for 1 week.

The few apps I have (Aus Birds, Kindle, Flightradar24, Moon Atlas, LR Mobile, etc.) all have to earn their place before they are installed, and then have to work hard to remain installed, otherwise they get the flick.

I don't do any serious editing on the iPad, just boy's stuff such as curves, cropping and resizing of holiday type snaps for immediate e-mail to my world wide fan base that clamour for the material - the real man's stuff gets done at home on a PC.

Cheers

Dennis

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed a Canon EOS R + RF 24-105 F4 IS L walkabout session yesterday afternoon with Teds Cameras in Brisbane City - thanks to the folks at Canon and Teds for organising and supporting this event.

I came home with my own SD Card with Canon CR3 Files, as well as JPG and MP4 Files. I put the SD Card into my iPad using the Apple SD Card Adapter and it uploaded JPG copies but no RAW Files.

I then used DPP Express to Browse these Files in Camera Roll (the iPad designated storage location) but of course, there were no CR3 Files, only JPGs which at the moment, is the only option.

Not sure if IOS will ever be updated to import CR3 Files and then DPP Express be updated to Import CR3 Files from Camera Roll?

Cheers

Dennis