Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Happy Little Ebayer - New Lens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Little Ebayer - New Lens

I'm a happy little Ebayer today.

Last week we were looking through Ebay and saw heaps of Lenses that we would love, but simply could not afford. We also had to evaluate very carefully which one would fit our camera, given the age.

There was an auction for a AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II which we won on Thursday evening. Obviously we checked numerous reviews to make sure it was a decent sort of lens for the price, also that it fits the 200D and that it would do what we want on a day to day sort of basis. IT ARRIVED TODAY!

Obviously we cannot expect the world's best Lens for the low price that we paid, it was described as being perfect condition, working perfectly and we figured it was worth placing a bid. Lo and behold we got the lens for only $89 and that included a Kenko UV Filter fitted on it. Wether Kenko is any good I am yet to find out.

I just dashed outside and took 3-4 shots and it seems to work perfectly, colour seemed good, images look fine and it should suit us for day to day images much better than the 24mm lens we have been using.

So we are very happy little Ebayers and hopefully tomorrow we can get out and test it on a few things. I'm looking forward to seeing the results that the different lens can bring

I'm pretty sure we made a good buy but if you have any knowledge of the lens, obviously any information we should know, be it good or bad, could you please share it with us.

Thanks
    Last edited by Snooks; 08-10-2018 at 5:30pm.
    I use a Nikon D200 and a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens . I do most of my editing in Gimp 2.10

My friends refer to me as "Snooks"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 18-55 is a good all-rounder. It used to be that kits were often sold with the 18-55 or an 18-200 at one point. Every second offer included these lenses.

You will find the 18 end is great for landscapes and the 55 end is not to bad for portraits and more. It is a good all round lens. But don't expect it to improve your photography. having gear is important, but it is the person behind the camera that makes the difference between a happy snap and a good photograph. So get out there with the new lens and learn.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The 18-55 is a good all-rounder. It used to be that kits were often sold with the 18-55 or an 18-200 at one point. Every second offer included these lenses.

You will find the 18 end is great for landscapes and the 55 end is not to bad for portraits and more. It is a good all round lens. But don't expect it to improve your photography. having gear is important, but it is the person behind the camera that makes the difference between a happy snap and a good photograph. So get out there with the new lens and learn.
    Agreed that it will help but I also understand that it is not the total answer to taking a good photo.

I feel it will improve my CHANCES of getting a good image because I don't have to get quite as close. There was a great chance for some shots of the local Lorikeets a few days ago but I just couldn't get close enough. Being just that bit longer it should help me in getting into better positions to compose the photo.

But hey, only time will tell

Cheers.
    Last edited by Snooks; 08-10-2018 at 11:27pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 18-55 is a pretty good solid lens, I shot with just that single lens for quite some time.

I found it a good general purpose lens, from landscapes to street photography. The compact size was a bonus too!

You mentioned taking some shots of the local Lorikeets, have you perhaps thought about a Sigma 70-300? You can get them new for around $200.
    -Andy

All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post
    The 18-55 is a pretty good solid lens, I shot with just that single lens for quite some time.

I found it a good general purpose lens, from landscapes to street photography. The compact size was a bonus too!

You mentioned taking some shots of the local Lorikeets, have you perhaps thought about a Sigma 70-300? You can get them new for around $200.
    Hi Andy,

I will jot that down for future investigation when we have more funds.

I love the bird life around here, all sorts come for a free feed from the wife and daughter.

Cheers Mate