User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Have you checked out this ARS ??

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked out this ARS ??

No, not what you were thinking. I found a new photo evaluation/critique site called ARS (Art Society Revolution) which is supposed to be a place where you can have your images critiqued.
    Has anyone had any experience with this site? Sounds like a good idea in principle.

http://blog.arsbeta.com/ or https://arsbeta.com/

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did now... - by combing through as much of it as I could without joining.

It's front page is rather off-putting. - It made me feel @notmetoo

A "keep or ditch mechanism"?! to "give feedback to others"?
    It was created ("built on a dream") to "change the way..."
    Etc., etc...

Sounds like another forum - of sorts I'm not gunner join to find out what.
    Ultimately, you dunno who they are

Of course, that's just me
    Last edited by ameerat42; 07-10-2018 at 10:35am. Reason: Spelling misteak...
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have to have it explained to me. I already knew that ARS was short for Ars Technica. Pretty good site if you are interested in computers, renewable energy, telecoms, and technology news generally - https://arstechnica.com/

PS: why would anybody want to join a website on the other side of the world to get critiques when, for a remarkably modest fee, our own Dr Harsh is willing to do that for you? And you may not know that, for only a little more, he will assign the score of your choice. (Strictly limited offer, conditions apply.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar reaction, but I'm also curious. On the one hand it isn't very well presented, but on the other it's a great idea. I guess everything starts in a bit of an experimental, evolving way - so maybe it will evolve and become useful, or maybe not.

I might sit back and see if it does develop rather than being one of the trail blazers .....

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This from their blog is the sort of unsustainable generalist [pest fish anagram]* that threatens to
    swamp the world's mental oceans with islands of grey matter junk:
    "...Be the first to join the revolution in photography — ARS. ARS is the first productive and authentic online learning community for photographers and visual artists..."
    If it's hardly even started yet, how can it claim to have such high-falutin' attributes already?

*Anagram is "carp".

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    If it's hardly even started yet, how can it claim to have such high-falutin' attributes already?
    Ahhhh ... now that falls into the same bracket as TV stations that claim that their new programs are "The most popular program on TV; Australia's new obsession; The highest rating TV show; What everyone has been waiting for etc etc.

I think it works on the principle that the community as a whole is brain dead.

...... but wait! Looking at who the community elects, maybe that's a valid assumption !!!

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another site which a fellow camera club member told me about a while ago - luckily I still had the email else I would have forgotten the name of the site. I did try a few images initially and it was interesting to see the results. I'd still prefer human feedback and critique though.

https://bestmirrorlessblogs.com/news...wesome-or-not/
    Glenda

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    Here is another site which a fellow camera club member told me about a while ago - luckily I still had the email else I would have forgotten the name of the site. I did try a few images initially and it was interesting to see the results. I'd still prefer human feedback and critique though.
    Whoa! Fancy having a computer assessing your work! I guess that would take out the bias factor of normal judging. Although photos of computer chips might get the nod. I think I agree, photography (or any art really) needs a human eye to assess its "awesomeness" .

I wonder where we could find real people to critique our work ....... oh wait .... we're standing in it!