Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your favourite quotes on the subject of Photography

Let us know your favourite (serious) quotes on the subject of Photography, cameras etc

Some of mine, which agree with the way I think about photography, or at least attempt to emulate.

"Don't shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like." - David Alan Harvey

"Photography for me is not looking, it's feeling. If you can't feel what you are looking at, then you are never going to get others to feel anything when they look at your pictures." - Don McCullin

"It's one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it's another thing to make a portrait of who they are." - Paul Caponigro

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." - Elliot Erwitt

"The only photographer you should compare yourself to is the one you used to be." - unknown.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Don't take a photo of what you're looking at, take a photo of what you're seeing in what you're looking at" ... me, to myself.

This describes my greatest difficulty in improving my own photography - taking a photo of what I'm seeing, rather than what I'm looking at. That, and composition of form and colour.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One that I always remember, and I will attribute it to he who told me, but I cannot be 100% sure where he got it from

"Find the light and put them in it" which was them expanded a little when introducing artificial lighting to "make the light and put them in it" I will attribute these to Shelton Muller as it is he who taught me those two mantras
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like all of yours, Landyvlad, though I maintain it's not so much about what you feel as what you know. I say "Don't shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it is like."

But my favourite photographic quote of all time is this one: "F/8 and be there."
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Watch the or or or or "
    "Say [a dairy product]"
    "Sm1.6km!"
    CC, Image editing OK.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't like to arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself.

Diane Arbus

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks bobt for the quote that has stayed in my signature longer than I thought it would.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Oh Crap! The battery is still in the charger.. at home" - Photographers everywhere!

and this one from Abraham Lincoln "There are no bad pictures; that is just how your face looks sometimes"
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “You don’t take a photograph, you make it." – Ansel Adams. (← that hung around in my sig for such a long time)

Spend some time planning. Check the weather. Move to the left or right. Get down low or take a ladder...you get the idea. (Btw, I rarely remember any of that. Do as I say, not as I do... )

Now, if all else fails, PHOTOSHOP!, after all, Mr. Adams was also a master in the dark room.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across this one the other day and liked it, as beginners often assume it's the better, more expensive equipment which makes the shot (I know I did) and the second part gives me permission to be creative in my PP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glenda; 08-10-2018 at 8:16am.
    Glenda