User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Old Threads & Comments

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Threads & Comments

I've been spending a huge amount of time looking through old threads, not only because of trying to learn about a specific feature or process, but simply because the thread is interesting. You know what it's like, you are reading this and then you click the link to end up here and before you know it you are at "Location X", which is a mile from the subject that you first started on.

Can a Mod please advise if there is any rule or restraint against commenting or posting on old threads? A couple were very old and I would have loved to make a comment or ask a question, but bumping a 4 year old or even earlier thread may not be considered appropriate. One example was a thread on "Jims Photography" and another was someone looking at starting a photography business. Albeit an old post, my comments would have course been relevant.

If I can have this clarified for the future it would be appreciated and may save me getting my bottom smacked
    Last edited by Snooks; 27-09-2018 at 8:19am. Reason: fix typos
    I use a Nikon D200 and a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens . I do most of my editing in Gimp 2.10

My friends refer to me as "Snooks"

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more a matter of how relevant the old thread still is. Also, look at the contributors. Does it look as if
    they long abandoned it? Ie, does it make sense to reply to it?

Otherwise, there's no real restriction on answering old threads.

It's to see some people answer Intro threads ages after the new user has been posting, especially
    with something like hoping to see what they post soon
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense and I get what you mean.

The cases were regarding making a post on the subject or offering further information gained from knowledge of either being personally involved in that subject, or a similar situation. eg "Starting a Photography Business" . The facts of turning a hobby into a full time job and how it can change your perspective and love for the subject (sport).

Thanks mate, just wanted to clarify. Have a great Day

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    It's more a matter of how relevant the old thread still is. Also, look at the contributors. Does it look as if
    they long abandoned it? Ie, does it make sense to reply to it?

Otherwise, there's no real restriction on answering old threads.

It's to see some people answer Intro threads ages after the new user has been posting, especially
    with something like hoping to see what they post soon

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Snooks, if you have a relevant comment to make on an old thread I reckon just do it.
    The members hanging around here now may be quite different to the members commenting on the old threat. I've seen old threads pulled up by a comment and it's opened a whole lot of extra discussion for people that had never seen said thread previously.
    The worst thing that can happen is that no one comments on your new comment.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Snooks, if you have a relevant comment to make on an old thread I reckon just do it.
    The members hanging around here now may be quite different to the members commenting on the old threat. I've seen old threads pulled up by a comment and it's opened a whole lot of extra discussion for people that had never seen said thread previously.
    The worst thing that can happen is that no one comments on your new comment.
    I certainly will and at some stage I will get back to the thread(s) and put in my 2c. Just so much reading in here i need to find them again lol.