User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Anyone here use Big W Photos Online or similar Adobe Flash reliant sites?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here use Big W Photos Online or similar Adobe Flash reliant sites?

This might be a bit too random to get any takers, but does anyone here use Big W Photos online (or I assume any similar ones, like Snapfish or Harvey Norman or any of those sites where one might upload lots of photos requiring Adobe Flash)?

I have used the site for as long as it's been in existence to create photobooks every few months and after holidays etc. Never had any issues with it in the past, but as of yesterday, I cannot seem to upload photos with any kind of success. I have uploaded 133 is probably about 6-8 hours so far. It is painful and unworkable as I have about 600+ to upload. It just keeps failing about 5-10mins into the upload, before it even uploaded 5 or 6 photos. Then it freezes and does nothing more.

I have tonight emailed Big W and hope for a reply in the next couple of days, but am doubtful. Like I said to them, it is not an internet connection or browser-specific issue. Nor is it a computer related issue. I've tried on Google Chrome and Safari with the same results, and on my Mac as well as my wife's PC. Same results. I have no issues uploading photos here and other sites where I upload a lot of photos, nor do I have any other internet issues. The difference being, I assume, that other sites don't require Adobe Flash?

Tonight I trouble shooted everything Adobe Flash related, and I'm 100% confident I have the latest updated version working on my Mac. I even checked Google Chrome too, as it has been recently updated - but that all seems to be in tact too.

So as a last resort, I'm wondering if someone here might randomly have some great suggestion, as there are great minds at work here. Anyone have any advice/tips? It's wrecking my headspace at the moment. Grrr.

Thanks!

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many sites seem to be moving away from Flash. Do they offer an alternative uploader? Some sites do. There may be a small text link somewhere offering another option when the main one fails.

Is there a size limit on each photo, and if so, have they changed the allowed size recently. I had that happen on another site. Some of the photos wouldn't upload, but there was no error message to say why not. I then noticed the ones failing uploading were all over 9mb. I dropped the file size to just under 9mb and everything went smoothly.

Hopefully it is just a temporary glitch which will sort itself out.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    Many sites seem to be moving away from Flash. Do they offer an alternative uploader? Some sites do. There may be a small text link somewhere offering another option when the main one fails.

Is there a size limit on each photo, and if so, have they changed the allowed size recently. I had that happen on another site. Some of the photos wouldn't upload, but there was no error message to say why not. I then noticed the ones failing uploading were all over 9mb. I dropped the file size to just under 9mb and everything went smoothly.

Hopefully it is just a temporary glitch which will sort itself out.
    Thanks for the reply. I think they used to have alternate options in the past - I remember that, but I can’t see it anymore these days. It seems very one dimensional.

I too thought it might be a size issue, especially when a heap of lower quality shots from my underwater camera loaded pretty quickly and successfully. And maybe that is what’s making it so slow and causing it to freeze. It will load all sized photos, eventually. It doesn’t reject any, eventually. But it might be what’s making it so slow?

I too am getting no error message explaining why it’s not working properly, which is annoying. I do hope it sorts itself out too.

I’ve now resorted to uploading 6-8 photos at a time as that seems to be all it can take at a time. It’s still painfully slow and will take ages to get it all done, but I’m not sure I have any other choice for now.

The main difference I have noticed is that it used to upload three shots at a time, then start the next as each shot was uploaded. Now it goes straight in and tries uploading six at one time, and it obviously just can’t handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I may resurrect this one, to see if anyone might have any fresh tips? Going into Christmas I always make calendars and photo books of the kids for both sets of grandparents, and I basically can’t do it this year.

Whenever I try to upload any photos to big w online it actually freezes up our entire network. Can’t use the wifi at all, including catch up tv etc. And it still won’t upload the photos. I might get two “accidentally” uploaded in the space of an hour.

I contacted Big W at the time of my first post but they offered nothing of worth at all.

Just checking if anyone else here might know anything about this or have any tips? I’m wondering now if it’s my internet provider I need to contact, but that makes no sense as I can and do upload photos anywhere else on the net... just not Big W online. It’s really turned into a source of strong anger and irritation, so I’d be ever appreciative if someone could offer an explanation?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (No I don't use on-line facilities, but I have gone to BigW and the odd time to K-Mart with media and have used it there.)

It seems to be only BigW-related from what you have said. Have you tried it with another location, like a local Officeworks?
    That would at least test your A Flash installation, or if even luckier, may do without it.

Else, do a Legs-11 down to your local [photo-printing] store

And another thing: since it is fashionable to denigrate the NBN, do a check of your up/download speed.

- - - Updated - - -

HUMPH! I just checked with Officeworks, and... the service requires A Flash
    (Of course, I don't have it installed )
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Am, haven’t tried Officeworks, but I have tried Snapfish/K-Mart, which works flawlessly.

Problem is, I specifically need Big W for the photobooks as they’re easily edited and the prices are great. Better than competitors.

I should check competitors at least for the calendars.

I haven’t gone to a physical store as these photo books take about a week to do online, arranging it how I want.

At the time of my original post, I actually got everything onto a USB drive which my wife took to work and she was able to upload all the shots there.

I’ve just left it all too late this time, but I’ll have to do that again, I assume. Just need to know why I need to go to these lengths.

I don’t check the upload/download speed at time of uploading, but as noted, the entire home network freezes up and becomes unusable so kind of tells the story itself.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure is !

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW:
    BigW: https://www.bigwphotos.com.au/collections/photo-books
    Officeworks: https://www.officeworksphotos.com.au...ns/photo-books

Going on just one item, A4 Personalised Hard Cover Book:
    BigW - $40.00
    Officeworks: - $29.95
    Last edited by ameerat42; 12-12-2018 at 6:35pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    It sure is !

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW:
    BigW: https://www.bigwphotos.com.au/collections/photo-books
    Officeworks: https://www.officeworksphotos.com.au...ns/photo-books

Going on just one item, A4 Personalised Hard Cover Book:
    BigW - $40.00
    Officeworks: - $29.95
    Haha, yeah original prices probably very similar or same. However, I only ever buy when on sale (usually half price or more) which is extremely regularly.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like snapfish and they always have sales on. Just recently did a book on our Tassie holiday and I love it. Also ordered a metal print to go on the wall which look great and a couple of mugs of fishing photos that the boys love. They have a super sale on right now.
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussirose View Post
    I like snapfish and they always have sales on. Just recently did a book on our Tassie holiday and I love it. Also ordered a metal print to go on the wall which look great and a couple of mugs of fishing photos that the boys love. They have a super sale on right now.
    Yeah, thanks Ann. I think I’ve decided I’m going to do the calendars with them. It makes sense. I’ve used them before and always happy with the end result.

The difference with photobooks at Big W compared to anywhere else, that I’ve found, is that you can do a completely manual photobook. You can put whatever photo wherever you like in whatever size; try and squeeze 9 on a page if required, all uncropped and in original dimensions. The layout is completely up to you. Super time consuming when you cram 600 photos into 100 pages (what I did with Philippines album) but I love that it’s exactly how you want it to be.

I’ve noticed the snapfish one is far more automated and doesn’t give you such control. If I recall correctly, it gives you boxes to fit your shots into, doesn’t it?

I’ll revisit again as I may really have to wave goodbye to Big W. Just so frustrating not knowing why this is occurring. Grrrr.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Yeah, thanks Ann. I think I’ve decided I’m going to do the calendars with them. It makes sense. I’ve used them before and always happy with the end result.
    I can't find prices on Snapfish and after three years I can't fault Vistaprint for calendars.
    https://www.vistaprint.com.au/photo-...rs&xnav=TopNav
    Go with the Classic prices, 21x28 is the size of the photo part of the calendar.
    Last edited by Mark L; 12-12-2018 at 11:11pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I can't find prices on Snapfish and after three years I can't fault Vistaprint for calendars.
    https://www.vistaprint.com.au/photo-...rs&xnav=TopNav
    Go with the Classic prices, 21x28 is the size of the photo part of the calendar.
    Cool, thanks for another future option. They’re solid prices too. I did the parents’ ones tonight with snapfish and a great special... but I still need to do a couple for us ASAP too. Will weigh up my options when I finish PP on last batch of potential inclusions...

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was researching photobooks yesterday as I want to do one for my son when he returns from his 12 months overseas. Choice did a good review on most options within Australia and Advent came out the highest in the cheaper range, only pipped slightly by Momento which is over twice as expensive. I've used Blurb quite a few times in the past and have found them excellent to deal with. Once they left some pages out so I now have two of those (one slightly larger ) and once all the photos came back really dark. Again they reprinted the book at no extra charge. With the Choice review Advent's image quality was quite a bit higher than Blurb and Snapfish which were the other two I was considering. I'm going to get a small book printed first to test though.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing usable to add sorry Geoff, but kmart photos have always been an absolute nightmare for me.

I generally try to avoid it completely, and I’ve heard that the phone app is a little more friendly to use(?). However I’m yet to look at that myself.

The wife makes a yearly photobook, and has spent many hours pulling her hair out after it crashes, or long upload times or whatever else is happening. So I’ve suggested to her that it’s time to move on, especially noticing that lately, the standard print quality seems to have dropped as well.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    Nothing usable to add sorry Geoff, but kmart photos have always been an absolute nightmare for me.

I generally try to avoid it completely, and I’ve heard that the phone app is a little more friendly to use(?). However I’m yet to look at that myself.

The wife makes a yearly photobook, and has spent many hours pulling her hair out after it crashes, or long upload times or whatever else is happening. So I’ve suggested to her that it’s time to move on, especially noticing that lately, the standard print quality seems to have dropped as well.
    Hey Bax, if you have no uploading issues, I’d strongly recommend Big W for their photobooks. Print quality probably about the same as Kmart, but infinitely easier and better to use... and much better deals and offers on stuff like 60-100 page books compared to standard 20 page books.

I used Kmart for the calendars over Christmas and swear I will never use them again. Ordered on 12th of December, got a message a couple of days later saying they were in transit so thought I could happily give the calendars to my in laws on the 25th, and mum and dad on the 30th.

Well, Christmas passed, the new year ticked over and I didn’t give anyone a calendar. A week ago I sent them an email asking what was going on... still no reply today.

Sure that they were already in store, I went to both stores where I had orders due (the exact same thing happened with calendars I made for us at home) and both orders had arrived. No idea how long they were there as they were undated, but I’ve still got no advice or feedback from Kmart/Snapfish.

Kind people might like to use the festive season as an excuse for this terrible customer service, but I never once, in more than a decade of using them, have had a single issue with Big W orders once placed. No matter the time of year, it’s only ever about 5 business days max (sometimes quicker) until in store and ready for pick up. Been giving out calendars and photobooks on Christmas Day for ages without issue.

Just wish I could upload photos to the site.

Anyway, moral of the story is I will do everything in my power to avoid Snapfish/Kmart into the future... unless I’m left with no alternative.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post

What's this got to do with Big W??
    As mentioned previously use Snapfish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Harvey Norman and I’m happy with the quality.

I haven’t had any issue that you have mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan05 View Post
    I use Harvey Norman and I’m happy with the quality.

I haven’t had any issue that you have mentioned.

Harvey Norman are good. The reason I want so much to stick with Big W, though, is their larger photobooks. Their deals and availability of books 40 pages plus is unparalleled by their competitors that I’ve seen.

But I should revisit Harvey Norman. I think they use the same uploader as Big W and just thinking of it now, I’m 95% sure I couldn’t upload to their site anymore too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Harvey Norman are good. The reason I want so much to stick with Big W, though, is their larger photobooks. Their deals and availability of books 40 pages plus is unparalleled by their competitors that I’ve seen.

But I should revisit Harvey Norman. I think they use the same uploader as Big W and just thinking of it now, I’m 95% sure I couldn’t upload to their site anymore too.
    Vistaprint