User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11

Thread: Need assistance to identify a Sigma Lens.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need assistance to identify a Sigma Lens.

Hi,

As you may be aware I am brand new to photography and I even had a hard time turning the damn thing on and then working out what to do. Fortunately the You Tube Videos available on the camera and the info in this forum have helped me enormously. It is primarily for my daughter who is contemplating doing a TAFE Course and between us, we are having a a bit of fun and meanwhile, I can see how serious she is and to what extent I need to consider assisting her financially with a camera that would be in the class that she will need.

So I purchased an old Nikon 200D with what was described as "Sigma 24mm Ultra Wide Macro f / 2.8 Lens". I believe that the lens is probably not what I thought and it may have been incorrectly described to me. I need to determine what lens we have so we can learn to use it and ensure that we can at least do some basic photography and have some fun.

I don't have a smart phone or another camera so I took a photo pointing at the reflection in the mirror, then using GILP i flipped it and did some changes so that the writing stands out and isn't backwards. The colours are awful but you can read the writing and that is what is important. I could not upload the photo for some reason and also could not attach it, so, please use the following link http://img.gg/En9AON7

The writing can be read and the only other writing on the lens is on the OUTSIDE, just near the lens lip at the extreme front, where it says MACRO.

Being new and scared of damaging anything, could it just be a magnification ring or something screwed into a lens? If so it would be about the thickness of a polarizing filter ring. Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by Snooks; 23-09-2018 at 4:43pm.
    I use a Nikon D200 and a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens . I do most of my editing in Gimp 2.10

My friends refer to me as "Snooks"