Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16

Thread: AI Gigapixel

Ausphotography Regular rexboggs5's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AI Gigapixel

I recently downloaded a 30 day trial of AI Gigapixel from topazlabs.com. This software allows you to resize your photos by up to 600%. I tried it out on a file that was 719 x 958 pixels, and produced an enlarged version that was 4314 x 5748 pixels. When I put the photos side by side on our photo club's website, I and the members felt that the enlarged version was better than the original! Check the 2 versions out at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8p2j7ofqj...97z3Rcuoa?dl=0

I then decided to enlarge the 4314 x 5748 pixel version by 600% as well. It took about an hour for the software to do this (in the background). I was expecting a photo that was 34,488 pixels on the longest side but the final version was 'only' 32000 pixels. So that must be the maximum size possible. The quality was very impressive, with just a few artifacts in the blurry background. So now I have a photo that is 106" tall (or 2.7 m) at 300 dpi. And it is about 2 m wide, so printing and framing it might be a bit expensive.

Not bad from a photo that started out just a bit over 3" tall if printed at 300 dpi.

If you have a lot of small photos that need enlarging, it is worth checking out. You can try it for free for 30 days. The cost is US$100 but a friend found a 15% discount coupon.

Cheers, Rex
    Last edited by rexboggs5; 23-09-2018 at 4:40pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Rex. Yes, I have tried it out too, and like it. I expect I'll spend the $100. Not something I'll use all that often, but remarkably effective when needed.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I found about it recently is here.

You must have some computational engine! How long did it take?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 4 minutes on the 719 x 958 photo to enlarge it by 600%. To resize that to 32000 pixels on the long side took about an hour. So the size of the original photo is a big factor, as is the speed of your CPU and in particular the speed of your graphics card.

My graphics card is a bit below the recommended version.

Cheers

Rex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the trial version a couple of times on files that have big crops (little birdies a long way away).

I've done a couple on the full files which, with uncompressed raw, on the A7r ii are 84mB. works ok but takes its time. There is an option to use ram if the graphics card is too slow.

Haven't tried the "double" processing yet, but I will now.

I've previously used Topaz resize which was ok, but this seems better

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of my main uses of this software will be enlarging big crops on distant birdies. A file about a 1000 pixels on the longest side seems to enlarge to 6000 pixels very nicely. I haven't tried smaller files yet.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have to give it another whirl - if it lets me install it again
    This time I'll run it with the Nvidia graphics card. (I had forgotten about it )

Ausphotography Veteran Claire M's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have PhotoZoom 6.1 Pro (Benvista), which does a good job of enlarging images, so it will be interesting to compare it with the A1 Gigapixel, so I will download the trial as I like using the Topaz products (which I have quite a collection of).

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Claire - it will be very interesting to see how the two programs stack up. Please let us know your thoughts once you've done this.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched a webinar on Topaz Studio, and AI Gigapixel was discussed. A few things I learned:
    1st, AI Gigapixel V2 will be released on Thursday in the US, so Friday here. It is much faster than the original version, so def install the update once it is released.
    2nd, if you want to enlarge a really small file (eg 100 pixels x 100 pixels), set the Reduce Noise and Blur to Strong. That setting does the best job of enlarging small files.
    3rd, you can enlarge Photoshop files (psd files) but set the PS file to Maximum compatibility first.

As with all Topaz products, all updates are free for life.

Cheers, Rex

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran out of time for the trial (and so too interest), but if the new version lets me have
    another free trial... - and then see.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A.I. Gigapixel 2.0 has been released. From the website, "We’re excited to announce that using GPU mode is now up to 5x faster! With some optimizations to the processing in A.I. Gigapixel™, we've improved the speed of processing with the same great quality results!"

I did a 200% upsize on a 3000 x 2000 pixel image, and it took about 3 minutes. The time depends on your graphics card, though.

Cheers, Rex

Ausphotography Veteran Claire M's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rexboggs5 View Post
    Hi Claire - it will be very interesting to see how the two programs stack up. Please let us know your thoughts once you've done this.
    OK , so I downloaded the AI Gigapixel v2 - 31 day free trial version, so I could compare it with my current resize image software - PhotoZoom Pro 6.1 (that I paid a discounted price of only $20 for a few years back).
    I enlarged/resized 2 of the same photos (1 with a resolution of 180 DPI - 1000 pxls x 800 pxls to 400% larger, and the other a 300 DPI image of 1200 pxls x 900 pxls to 600% larger) using each program.

My Windows 7 Pro computer system (more than a few years old now) is only just above the minimum requirements and the AI Gigapixel v2 worked faultlessly, with no issues at all.
    The results were outstanding and impressive, in favour of AI Gigapixel, which was better all round, I must say!
    I only used the default settings in AI Gigapixel, with the 'Reduce Noise and Blur' on Moderate.
    It took 3 mins and a half for the larger size (600%) to be processed and the newly resized imaged saved automatically.
    With the PhotoZoom software it took just over 2 mins to process the larger size, however, the quality and clarity/detail was not as good as the AI Gigapixel (nor was the 400% enlargement).
    Hopefully, this Topaz product will be on special soon, as I definitely recommend this software as the best for enlarging images for posters or to become large artworks to hang on the wall.
    Last edited by Claire M; 01-10-2018 at 9:50pm.