Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Purchasing a new 5d Mark III

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchasing a new 5d Mark III

Good Morning Everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a used 5d Mark III body.
    When looking at buying secondhand what shutter usage max would you recommend, also is it expensive to replace the shutter if need be?

Thanks so much
    Canon 50d
    Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8L, 580EX II Speedlight

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicole. Shutter replacement is quite expensive. I don't have recent figures to hand, but my experience is that it costs something like a third of the new cost of as camera to replace a shutter. You'd probably buy a second (replacement) second-had 5D III for around about what you'd pay to replace a shutter.

The 5D III's shutter is officially rated for 150,000 shots. This does not mean it will last for 150,000 shots, nor that it will suddenly fail after 150,001 shots. It's just a rough guide. Shutters can blow at pretty much any time. For example, my original 20D did something like 130,000 shots (30% more than the rated 100,000) before the shutter blew, and then maybe another 80,000 on the new shutter I had Canon put in before it too failed. (I probably posted the actual numbers here once, but older threads seem to get wiped after a few years so I can't find it now.) On the other hand, I had a 40D's 100,000-rated shutter blow after only a few tens of thousands of shots. You can't predict it. (Canon replaced it under warranty, and the ancient old thing is still in service with a family member.)

So really, you just pays your money and you takes your chance.

My feeling - entirely without evidence of any kind - is that a hard-used professional's camera is likely to just as good a bet as a low-mileage one which has sat in a cupboard for most of its life.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicole, as Tony has written shutters can go at anytime - but saying that, I do suspect Canon do rate their shutters based on statistical evidence, in other words Canon expect the average 5DIII to have a shutter life of 150,000 accusations before it will need to be replaced. Replacement is not cheap and I suspect by the time most shutters fail, the camera has been superseded and most owners would just upgrade to the current model.

I approach buying a used camera the same way I approach buying a used car. I would rather buy a used car with the minimum amount of kms on the clock due to wear and tear of not only the drive chain, but also any other moving part on the vehicle. This can also be said for a used camera. It is not only the shutter that has done 150,000 accusations, the mirror has moved 150,000 times, the memory cards and flap have been opened and closed many times, the batteries have been replaced and charged etc. The other thing to consider with the 5DIII is not only the shutter count but how many hours of video the camera has been used for, as the heat generated by constant use can deteriorate the camera sensor. You may think you have a low shutter count body, when in fact if it has been used for mostly video work then chances are it would be equivalent of a body with a high shutter count.

I think today to buy a 5DIII, you would either have to pick up a low shutter count (<30,000) model for under $1400 or you have a specific need for a 5DIII which could not be met with buying a new 6DII for a couple of dollars more.

Just my 2c worth of advice.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for replying.

There is one for sale with a 69k shutter count and a Canon 50mm ef lens for $1700.

I did look at the 6dii, but not having the joystick and only having only one memory card slot puts me off.
    Although I could probably get used to not having the joystick, its probably more a creature of habit thing then anything.

Both of you were very helpful, now to just weigh up what I actually really want, as you did make a good point with only spending an bit extra for a brand new body opposed to a used.

Thanks so much

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additional to the consideration of the amount of VIDEO a used camera might have shot, I think one should reckon the intended usage rate once you have camera ... and a couple, of other considerations.

I use Canon DSLRs and, excluding pro and pro-bono work, I do use the shutter quite frequently for 'my own' photography, so, (taking me as an example) it's easy to pull minimum 1000 shots per week, that's only average 150 per day, just walking around and not focusing on any particular idea: so let's say (conservatively) I have 1 'idea' per week and takes up another 500 shots - let's say I hang my camera up two weeks per year - that's 75,000 shutters to get some "me Photos" each year.

Let's say you're half as active as that and have one DSLR body- in two years you're done 75,000 shutters.

Canon Warranty for EOS DSLRs is 24 months - I reckon that's a major reason worth considering a 6DMkII as an alternative.

Mind, I don't reckon dual cards are anywhere near a deal breaker, or anywhere near mandatory, so the comment does come from that bias also.

Since I went Digital in 2004, I've replaced two Shutters, one on a 5D (under warranty), and one on a 20D. Co-incidentally, as per Tony, my 20D pulled well over 100,000 before I paid about $390.00 for a replacement shutter and mirror box assembly (around 2008 I think). It is still going fine on the second shutter (touch wood) but it hasn't had much use since 2010.

That, in a nutshell, is the main reason why I buy DSLR Cameras (and Flash Units) only new. I am OK for buying Second Hand: Lenses, Tripods, Filters, etc - because it is much easier to evaluate those items by physical inspection and a test run.

WW