Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  45
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's review something we do not own

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, got home, out on bail now .. they're still sus on me.
    But as soon as I got home I popped him on my trusty Yellingbo Joe titanuim tripod I recently got off ebay for just $29.99(can't believe how cheap and light their titanium products are) whipped out my trusty resolution chart and WOW!

Absolutely razor sharp dead centre.
    Just a small amount of fringing, as I suspected there would be .. easily worked in post.

Here's the image no pp just straight conversion to jpg.

Sigma $s_grid.jpg

You'll notice that the $ sign in the centre is not a black ink rendering, it's actually missing!
    The lens is so sharp in the centre it physically cut the paper when taking the shot .. so the black $ sign is a cutout.
    The $ signs are actually printed in a 18% grey rendering to show lens aberrations more clearly.
    Wasn't expecting it to be so sharp.
    But there is minimal fringing as you can see, and some weird distortion too, kind of moustache like but it also has some double rendering effects where it appears to add info into the scene that may not be there.
    I'm thinking could be moire, will have to do more testing.
    Interesting to see that my distortion results differ from Am's results. No doubt sample variation between lenses.

Anyhow, below is the edited version with a simple one click CA removal routine added in post ...

Sigma $s_grid_CA removal.jpg

You can see that for portraits, it works wonderfully.
    Perfect central sharpness and the small amount of CA is easily smoothed out and eliminated.

Will have a quick try at macro too, but it's working distance is a bit of a problem, being only 5 cm or so from the front of the lens. I reckon it may suffer from focal length shortening too.
    Not holding out too much hope tho, I have 62, 67 and 77mm macro lens accessory diopters(and filters in general) and the lens seems to use 72mm drop in types .. so an other additional expense in needing rare and hard to find 72mm filters.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 09-09-2018 at 4:32pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q: Let's review something we do not own.

A: OK. Can I review some of what Arthur is smoking?
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Q: Let's review something we do not own.

A: OK. Can I review some of what Arthur is smoking?
    Port Royal .. only! No additives, no need. does the job, kills brain cells(as per the instructions on the packaging).

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur how to you think this lens compares to the Canon 600DO due to be released in the near future? Should I wait to buy the 600? Do you think the 600 would be better for weddings (B&H have them on back order also)?
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I saw this on Ebay and decided I needed one. So last Wednesday I stopped having avocado. And voila, I am now flush with cash and might buy two.
    Last edited by ricktas; 09-09-2018 at 9:36pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Arthur how to you think this lens compares to the Canon 600DO due to be released in the near future? Should I wait to buy the 600? Do you think the 600 would be better for weddings (B&H have them on back order also)?
    Can't say .. too hard basket for me, as I don't use Canon gear.
    Although, I think 600 may be just a bit too long for weddings.
    200-500mm would be just about perfect me thinks.
    Only other lens of that exact focal range is Nikon's f/5.6, I can't say if the 150-600 lenses would be of any help for weddings tho.

My testing is just about complete, but this arvo was the last straw.
    I had the lens on the D800 with grip and put it down with the hood resting on the ground. Made a really nice bar stool alternative if you ever find yourself at a bar and it's packed to the rafters! BYO seating .. can't ask for better than that.
    But the last straw was when a poodle came wandering close by and lifted it's hind leg and did it's business on the lens. May have looked a little like a stumpy tree, but surely even a pooch would know the difference.
    So I cleaned it up and did as any self respecting internet based lens reviewer would do, and placed it into a hermetically sealed glass case so I can admire it and hope it will one day appreciate in value.

my summary is that it's a keeper(but never to be used lest it loses value)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12