Thread: Tamron SP AF 90mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tamron SP AF 90mm

more specifically

[top]Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 f2.8 Di 1:1 Macro for Nikon

Has anyone used this or similar. I am looking for a macro lens on a budget. this is about $479. i was also looking at the Nikon 60mm AF-S but it costs more at around $480 used.

I've looked at so many that i am now confused as to which way to go. I like the idea of keeping further away from moving subjects hence the 90mm but am wondering if the Nikon 60mm has better Bokeh and would i prefer that and sacrifice the distance to subject.

Any opinions.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dindsy View Post
    ...I've looked at so many that i am now confused as to which way to go. I like the idea of keeping further away from moving subjects hence the 90mm but am wondering
    if the Nikon 60mm has better Bokeh and would i prefer that and sacrifice the distance to subject.

Any opinions...
    If by "bokeh" you mean its ability to separate the subject from the FG/BG, rather than the pattern of blur the lens produces,
    then a longer FL at any given f-stop would generally give better subject separation than a shorter FL.

What do reviews of the two lenses indicate?
    Last edited by ameerat42; 18-08-2018 at 10:16am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have shot Macro with that Tamron 90mm macro lens Canon mount for years and it took great images.
    When I could afford the Canon 100mm L Lens I bought that, if was so heavy after the lighter Tamron.

I find shooting at around the 100mm focal length is better than the 60mm, you tend to scare small creatures off.
    And don't forget the Sigma 105mm it's cheaper than the Nikon, though a little dearer than the Tamron.
    Sigma they also have a 150mm macro more $$ needed for that one.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviews i've seen are good for both. The Nikon one seems to be slightly better but for comparisons to other 60mm's.
    One review i saw compared the Sigma 105 to the Tamron and put the Tamron ahead. The article did seem Tamron biased in general though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Dindsy. A pretty fair rule for macro lenses is that there are no bad ones, there are only good ones and great ones. A traditional macro lens in the traditional macro focal lengths (60mm, 90mm, 100mm, and 105mm are common) is easy to design and manufacture (as compared with, for example, ultra-wides, which are difficult) and we see that reflected in the more-or-less universal praise owners bestow on them. So there are no bad answers here.

Tamron have two 90mm f/2.8 macros and an 85mm f/1.8 portrait lens. Oh, and a 60mm macro as well.

The new 90mm macro has VR and costs just over $1000. It is said to be excellent.

The 85/1.8 with VR is also new and costs around $850. I own one and like it a lot. But you won't see one second-hand yet, and it's a dedicated portrait/general lens which doesn't do macro.

The other two are both older models and both sell for around $550 new. The 90mm is apparently perfectly good, though not up to the optical standard of the new one. In reality, I don't reckon most people would notice all that much difference, especially doing macro work when you very seldom shoot wide open.

The big question you need to answer is this: what is the lens mostly for?

(a) Macro work, with some other uses as opportunity offers. Get the Tamron because 90mm ofers a much more usable working distance. (My first macro lens was a 60mm Canon. Lovely little lens, but difficult to use close-up compared to the Canon 100mm macro I bought later.)

(b) General use for people, landscapes, whatever you like, with occasional macro use. Get the Nikon because 60mm (on crop) is a wonderful short telephoto length for all sorts of things. (In fact, the reason I just bought the Tamron 85/1.8 is that I really missed that 60mm-on-crop field of view now that I've gone full frame and 85mm is the nearest equivalent - 100mm is just that little bit too long.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony
    I think my decision is made for the 90mm. This will be mostly for macro work as i have a number of other lenses but none that do macro.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you make your decision, make sure it's 101% the right decision!!!

What camera?

The Tammy 90 is a great lens when used properly. I reckon it was sharper than my 105VR lens at close distances at least. I never got a good chance to shoot more with it, but just using it briefly I thought straight up it seemed sharper.
    There are some quirks with that specific lens tho.
    The focus system can be a PITA to use in some situations. Not common, but sometimes you find it's annoying. The issue is the push pull clutch system, compared to AF-S(ie. full time auto/manual override setups), as opposed to the Tamrons' clutch system.

AND! The lens extends quite a lot compared to more modern macro lenses .. so it's a trait you need to get used too, easy to get used too tho if it's your only macro lens.

As the first question asks: what camera.
    Is an important question, as some Nikon cameras won't auto focus with this lens due to the screw drive focus system on some models.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tamron 90mm lens does a great job looking at the photos on Flickr as does the Nikon lens as previously mentioned for macro and landscapes.
    I have the older manual versions of both and they are both great lenses.
    For macro the ease of manual focus is important to consider and will you be photographing moving subjects such as bees a longer focal length may be good.
    For more static subjects flowers, fungi and attendant insects you may need to get in closer at times and still be able to fit the subject into the photo particularly in awkward situations.

Cheers Nick

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i took the plunge. I bought the Tamrom 90mm on the weekend. I hadn't intended to go purchase it from Camera House because their website price was a lot more than everywhere else. i just wanted to play with one. They had one in stock and i tinkered with it for quite a while in the store. Then asked the price and he said $499 which was cheaper than most places i was looking (apart from grey importers. Never again go down that path).
    At first i thought the focus was a bit slow and sluggish but decided i could live with that. It turns out that the toy Nikon i was using in shop just wasn't up to the task. I forgot to take my D750. When i took it home the focusing was much quicker. So, i'm really happy.
    This is my first attempt. Not first shot. There were a few. I was trying to capture an Ant running around on these flowers. i wasn't happy with the first go so went back outside and the sprinklers had just been on. i think it turn out OK but happy for feedback.

Rain drop.jpg

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well dne, Dindsy. And congs on taking the plunge.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on getting that lens, will look forward to seeing what you post on the Macro forum

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great lens and photo you should have many happy hours with this wonderful lens Dinsdy
    As already mentioned with this focal length the OOF areas look so good with this lens.

cheers Nick