User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - Any feedback/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - Any feedback/

After random Googling, I may have discovered a want that I never knew I needed. The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens. I already have the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my Nikon D5100 but that is like f/3.5 to f/5.6. So 2008, right?

Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this lens. I like the low light capabilities from 17 to 50 mm. It is not an expensive lens but I am a tightarse so any light shed on it would be appreciated.
    Andrew

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ever used one Andrew, but they are generally well regarded. As always, see what Bryan says before you decide: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...ns-Review.aspx
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    ...17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens. I already have the 18-55mm... but that is like f/3.5 to f/5.6. So 2008, right?...

...I like the low light capabilities from 17 to 50 mm... I am a tightarse so any light shed on it would be appreciated.
    Well, after you bamboozled me with figgers, I went and checked my lenses, just to get the numbers straight. It turns out I've
    got - and I read these very carefully - a Σ 18-50 1:3.5-5.6 DC lens.

Why did I forget? - Because it gives me pesky green corners that I had forgotten about. But now for some payback: add to that
    a Σ15-30 1:3.5-4.5 DG EX. WHy don't I use it? - Because I had just forgotten about it, mainly because I'm not so much into low-light
    but low-brow - But I am with you on the constricted end-passage front, and apologies for the low light on that lens
    (You meant "lens", didn't you )
    Last edited by ameerat42; 08-08-2018 at 10:46pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the calm, rational light of day, I decided not to buy this lens. I already have two low light prime lenses 35mm and 50mm f/1.8 that cover most of what I would do in low light and if I am shooting wider than 35mm, I am probably doing a landscape where I use an aperture between f/8 and f/16 anyway. So, while it sounded nice, I just don't think that I would use it. $370 saved.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, I congratulate you on your imaginative and radical new theory of photographic hardware acquisition. This is groundbreaking stuff and you will probably have a large public building named after you, or at very least a statue.

Rational analysis of the practical use-case after the buy-lust has set in. Wow! Who'd a thunk of it?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are very restrained Andrew.
    Probably a good decision though.
    The review seems to put it in a similar performance range to my Sigma 17-35/2.8-4.0 with corners being the weakest point.
    While I have achieved reasonably good results with it, I have reached its limit & now need something better. You may have found yourself in a similar boat down the track.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Andrew, I congratulate you on your imaginative and radical new theory of photographic hardware acquisition. This is groundbreaking stuff and you will probably have a large public building named after you, or at very least a statue.

Rational analysis of the practical use-case after the buy-lust has set in. Wow! Who'd a thunk of it?
    I know. I am very proud. It started me thinking that I should start a post about the most useless photographic item that you have bought, or even more likely, been given by a well meaning person who knows nothing about photography.

I was given a dice-sized spirit-level that I can put on the camera hot-shoe. That's pretty useless. I was also given a Kodak tripod that had big yellow plastic knobs all over it that squeaked when you tightened them and gradually and inevitably loosened. I actually took that to my first photography lesson and received very odd looks.

But I have also bought some garbage myself. A shoulder sling strap that screws into the base of the camera sounded great but has no practical use. A cheap battery pack that takes two batteries seemed to make sense and importantly made my D5100 look like a big tough full frame DSLR but in reality it is easier to just carry an extra battery in my pocket. A cheap nifty 50 that needs manual focus when I could have spent another $100 and got auto-focus. Filters, filters, filters...

Not to mention useless software. Landscape Pro! What was I thinking?

Anyone else willing to admit to buying less than worthwhile products?
    Last edited by Hawthy; 09-08-2018 at 8:51pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    I know. I am very proud. It started me thinking that I should start a post about the most useless photographic item that you have bought, or even more likely, been given by a well meaning person who knows nothing about photography.

I was given a dice-sized spirit-level that I can put on the camera hot-shoe. That's pretty useless. I was also given a Kodak tripod that had big yellow plastic knobs all over it that squeaked when you tightened them and gradually and inevitably loosened. I actually took that to my first photography lesson and received very odd looks.

But I have also bought some garbage myself. A shoulder sling strap that screws into the base of the camera sounded great but has no practical use. A cheap battery pack that takes two batteries seemed to make sense and importantly made my D5100 look like a big tough full frame DSLR but in reality it is easier to just carry an extra battery in my pocket. A cheap nifty 50 that needs manual focus when I could have spent another $100 and got auto-focus. Filters, filters, filters...

Not to mention useless software. Landscape Pro! What was I thinking?

Anyone else willing to admit to buying less than worthwhile products?
    This probably needs to be the first post in a new thread I reckon. Not many people will find this here.
    So for wider comments how about starting that new thread here .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...php?117-f-stop

I reckon there's some stories to be had.
    Last edited by Mark L; 12-08-2018 at 10:49pm.