Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Red to orange.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red to orange.

Photo related question. Bright reds on my small pocket camera seem to get blown out to orange. Shooting RAW and can get some parts of the pic ok, but the reds are a hassle.
    Any ideas on 'camera settings' to try to stop this from happening?
    Samsung EX1.
    The bright reflection on the tank is what I am referring to in this pic.

Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John. A Q: Is the paint an iridescent type?

Another Q: Does it happen only with this camera?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AM, Yes its an iridescent colour and seems only with this camera, which lives in my MC Jacket.
    Have been thinking its too bright of a reflection for the sensor and maybe I should try underexposing a bit.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy question; are you using polarising filter?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John. I think there is the possibility that your camera may not be lying.
    Gazza's Q about the pol filter is interesting. If the light being reflected from the
    MC is in fact plane polarised (though the curved surfaces would affect its incidence
    at the camera) then it might help. But I think you're seeing that camera's response
    to progressively brightening red light. Note that next to the yellow it is white.

I don't know of any particular setting that would eliminate it (other than another camera).
    Perhaps (this is basic) check that the color space the camera is set to is the same as
    the program you are using to process the images (usually sRGB).

In addition, the samples shown here do not inspire confidence in the reproduction of
    the reds. Yes, the raws look better than the jpegs. Also, check your color styles.
    See further down the page in that link. And a worry: the article does not even
    mention that glaring fact.

Maybe try some other (incl non-iridescent) red subjects for a better perspective of
    this phenomenon.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    John. I think there is the possibility that your camera may not be lying.
    Gazza's Q about the pol filter is interesting. If the light being reflected from the
    MC is in fact plane polarised (though the curved surfaces would affect its incidence
    at the camera) then it might help. But I think you're seeing that camera's response
    to progressively brightening red light. Note that next to the yellow it is white.

I don't know of any particular setting that would eliminate it (other than another camera).
    Perhaps (this is basic) check that the color space the camera is set to is the same as
    the program you are using to process the images (usually sRGB).

In addition, the samples shown here do not inspire confidence in the reproduction of
    the reds. Yes, the raws look better than the jpegs. Also, check your color styles.
    See further down the page in that link. And a worry: the article does not even
    mention that glaring fact.

Maybe try some other (incl non-iridescent) red subjects for a better perspective of
    this phenomenon.
    Actually, I was thinking if John was using one to take it off and try again.
    Last night the blues and greens looked very Tasmanian and not so much Queenslandish which made me think he had one fitted.....Should've expanded on that I guess. Too many long days and short nights atm. Sorry. Yawn!

Btw, nice setup, John. Looks like many wonderful years of travelling coming up and my mild OCD thanks you for parking so well on that white line

Cheers -
    Last edited by Gazza; 08-08-2018 at 8:35am. Reason: My friend David has lost his ID. Now he's just Dav.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John, assuming it's not something to do with your motorcycle paint my suspicion is that this is a demosaicing artifact.
    The area of concern is in the transition zone before the highlights blow out in the specular highlights region. I suspect there is some data recorded (but not full RGB, most likely some reds are blown) and the converter is just trying to "fill in" the data resulting in a colour shift.
    You can try a different RAW converter to see if it produces a better result and don't try to highlight recover in the bike area. Specular highlights are suppose to be blown and it's ok not to have detail there. But if you need to recover highlights elsewhere, you can either mask the bike area or only selectively recover highlights eg. in the clouds.
    If the above works, you can play around with the highlight setting for SOOC jpeg results. A lot of cameras have the high DR settings eg. D-lighting in Nikon speak which might be pulling in highlights and boosting shadows resulting in some unwanted artifacts. Unfortunately it's a global adjustment and can't be applied selectively to one area as far as I know.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for your replies, all seem to have merit except for the polarizer (camera cant have one fitted).
    I was thinking that the L/R has made up a colour for the not fully blown highlights.
    Shadows seem OK so I think I will try underexposing for a while and see how I go.