User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: Issues with Dfine 2 from the Nik Collection

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issues with Dfine 2 from the Nik Collection

Hey all, just a question out of curiosity.

I’ve got CS6 on my MacBook Pro and I downloaded this Nik collection a while back. The only function I use at all is the Dfine 2 for noise reduction. I find it to be extremely effective and it is a part of every single workflow I implement.

Well, it has been, but I think I’m going to have to stop using it. Why, you ask? It is constantly crashing on me.

Editing jpeg images, I can sometimes edit a dozen images before PS crashes as I try to use Dfine 2 to reduce noise.

Alternatively, and super frustratingly, it seems to be crashing every single time I try to edit a DNG file.

It usually happens after the noise has been reduced. I then go to click OK in the Dfine 2 window and instead of taking me back to my image in PS the whole thing crashes and all edits on my image are lost. If I’m just doing quick edits it’s very annoying having to reopen it all again. But if I’m doing a bigger edit on a blended landscape shot or something and it happens, my world caves in. Because of it’s frequency now I try to save a PSD file before I reduce noise, but my memory isn’t great and I don’t always do this. And it wastes more time too.

Anyway, moral of the story is I have literal hundreds of holiday photos to edit and I can’t keep doing this. Does anyone know a reason why this might be happening, and if I can fix it? Or does it happen with anyone else?

If there’s no fix (which will make me sad because it’s very good at reducing noise) what is the next best (free) alternative? Does anyone here use the noise reduction tool in Raya Pro, and if so is it any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a solution?....Have a quick look at Edit→Preferences→Performance and see if 'Use Graphics Processor' is still checked. PS seems to rely heavily on your computer's graphics card.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Maybe a solution?....Have a quick look at Edit→Preferences→Performance and see if 'Use Graphics Processor' is still checked. PS seems to rely heavily on your computer's graphics card.
    Thanks for that Gazza. I’ll try that this afternoon and let you know how I go.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Gaz, stupid question time. This Preferences option, under Edit... is this in PS? I can’t find a Preferences option under the edit tab.

I looked on the Mac menu, and tried to look in Dfine 2 but couldn’t see I there, so I assume you’re referring to PS? Sorry mate, can’t find it. But I can be a bit special at times, so am I doing something silly? In CS6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, in CS6. Click the edit tab and it should be right down the bottom.
    I'm not familiar with Mac at all but I'll be brave and assume that the menu system in PS would/should remain the same with Windows & Mac?

I've only ever seen a Mac once and that was sitting on Glendas (aka Lplates) kitchen table when they invited me in once. I lead a sheltered life

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed the Nik stuff last week and Dfine2 crashes every time I try it. I'm using Paintshop Pro 2018 on a Win 10 PC, so not just a CS6 or Mac issue.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar happened to me not long ago. Usually I just entered the Nik software and it when I pressed ok it would create the changes on a new layer but then it started to crash. I found I needed to create a new layer first and in the Nik software go to settings and change the last option "after clicking OK" as per below. Haven't had a problem since so this may be what's happening to you also.

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 2.36.18 pm.png
    Glenda

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    Similar happened to me not long ago. Usually I just entered the Nik software and it when I pressed ok it would create the changes on a new layer but then it started to crash. I found I needed to create a new layer first and in the Nik software go to settings and change the last option "after clicking OK" as per below. Haven't had a problem since so this may be what's happening to you also.

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 2.36.18 pm.png
    Thanks Glenda. Just about to hop on the train home so I’ll give this a go. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the tip.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, mixed results.

Gaz, I genuinely can’t find a Preferences option in the Edit tab. As outrageous as it seems, must be different between Mac and PC?

Glenda, your suggestion was working like a dream. Then 7 photos in it crashed again. But maybe turning it off and revisiting tonight, with the new setting, it might be ok? Still far better than the constant crashes this morning.

Thanks heaps for your help!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this the "old" free Nik stuff from Google, or the new beaut Nik stuff from DxO?

FWIW, I have the (paid for) DxO version and so far it appears to be stable in PS CC on a Win 10 Pro PC.

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    Is this the "old" free Nik stuff from Google, or the new beaut Nik stuff from DxO?

FWIW, I have the (paid for) DxO version and so far it appears to be stable in PS CC on a Win 10 Pro PC.

Cheers

Dennis
    Old and free for me.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenda’s solution worked for me too. Same problem and solution for the entire Nik suite with CS6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using free version on Mac works well with latest version of Photoshop.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the old free version in Photoshop 5. It has been extremely stable and I can't recollect it ever crashing. It automatically creates a new layer for the effect to be applied to. Don't remember changing any settings, just used it "straight out of the box".

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, touch a wooden sculpture of my face, complete with a few tufts of my actual hair, but so far so good.

I didn’t get to do any edits on the weekend, or even yesterday, but I got through about 15 photos this morning without a crash. All jpeg files so I’ll see how we go when we get to wads of DNG files, but thanks Glenda, looks good for now.