Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one do you prefer ?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which one do you prefer ?

I have two possible entries into a mono Open comp. Which one of the two do you like better?

ozphoto1.jpg

ozphototrain-2.jpg

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I'm preferring the 1st, Bob.
    The slight incline and that smoke billowing from the funnel/exhaust is giving a real sense of power and purpose.

Cheers -

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like #1 best too.. That smoke blowing all over the place as the train comes around the bend does it for me.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for #1
    Glenda

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I like #1 best too.. That smoke blowing all over the place as the train comes around the bend does it for me.
    Well how very interesting. Every person I've asked has said the same thing, yet I liked number 2 ! I can see I'm too invested in number 2 and shall need to think again. Thanks!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First I wasn't going to say anything - I had no idea

But then I re-read your statement: for a "mono Open comp".

I still didn't want to say anything because I had to toss up between "like" and "prefer",
    finally going for "prefer".

And so I "prefer" the first because it has a greater tonal range of "mono".

(Now if you could just clone out the 2nd set of rails to make it just one set )

Actually, maybe a small crop, as the closer rails are "in you face" a bit at the LHS
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post

And so I "prefer" the first because it has a greater tonal range of "mono".

(Now if you could just clone out the 2nd set of rails to make it just one set )

Actually, maybe a small crop, as the closer rails are "in you face" a bit at the LHS
    You mean more like this ??? What would it take to move it from "prefer' to "like" ??

revised train.jpg

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both good shots Bob. I probably have a slight preference for #2 as I like the human element and gesture and think there's a bit more 'story' to it. To my eye #2 also seems a bit 'crisper' somehow (more detail ?)

The image I'd submit would depend on whether the comp is decided by popular vote or by judges. For a popular vote comp I'd submit #1 as it's the 'classic' train shot with the billowing smoke which will have broad appeal. For a judged comp I'd go with #2 for the reasons I mentioned above and also because it's a bit different which might (?) appeal to a judge.

[#2 looks to lean slightly to the right, although could be an illusion]

Good luck...

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Yes, pretty much like that. Now the train's much "closer".

I can "like" the 2nd for its "grungy", "industrial revolution" presentation.
    As well, there is "little drama" about the action of the figure there.
    And finally, the whole picture looks like it's tilting (houses in BG).

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    Both good shots Bob. I probably have a slight preference for #2 as I like the human element and gesture and think there's a bit more 'story' to it. To my eye #2 also seems a bit 'crisper' somehow (more detail ?)

The image I'd submit would depend on whether the comp is decided by popular vote or by judges. For a popular vote comp I'd submit #1 as it's the 'classic' train shot with the billowing smoke which will have broad appeal. For a judged comp I'd go with #2 for the reasons I mentioned above and also because it's a bit different which might (?) appeal to a judge.

[#2 looks to lean slightly to the right, although could be an illusion]

Cheers.
    Interesting. Usually I'm really hot on images that are not straight, but I didn't really see it here, but now three people have said the same thing. I've applied a bit of a correction so hopefully that'll fix that. I personally still like the grungy one, but also I probably like the other one with less foreground. I'll keep pondering my naval on both. Thanks!

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a tough call. The first is a clean effective composition, and a nice dramatic image. It's also a bit conventional.

The second is more interesting and unusual, but less effective. Right where the action is it goes a tiny bit muddy, plus it looks comparatively cluttered to me.

I actually prefer the second because I think it's more interesting. For a competition I'd enter the first.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While many people would prefer the first photo, it is a very standard view of a train. Standard views often don't attract the eye of serious judges.

Yes, if I had to hang one on my wall, I'd choose the first one.

If I was choosing one for competition (don't count popular vote as a competition), I'd work on the second one to make it more dramatic to grab the eye, and exhibit the second one. I don't even necessarily have to like my photo, so long as I think it attracts attention.

Hope it was alright to do a quick edit for one dramatic version. "Quick" meant 2 seconds to open Topaz Adjust and hit the Dramatic preset To be honest, the edit needs some refining - toning down the halo around the pipe, and perhaps lightening and increasing the detail the man etc....

Black and white photos are so flexible to work with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    While many people would prefer the first photo, it is a very standard view of a train. Standard views often don't attract the eye of serious judges.

Hope it was alright to do a quick edit for one dramatic version. Black and white photos are so flexible to work with.
    I don't mind people playing with my images at all. Some people get all uptight, but it's only a copy after all! 8*)

It's tricky choosing comp images because judges are unpredictable.

Monochrome is a bit of a cheat sometimes - you can get away with far more I think, and often an ordinary color image can go up a grade or two if it's turned into a mono!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think #1 is good, but I prefer #2 as it tells more of a story.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Farmmax. #1 is your standard train shot however #2 is more likely to attract the judges eye.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Bob I'd flip a coin as they both have unique qualities …

#1 with the smoke and those perfect tracks

#2 the detail and shine plus the added bonus of the worker on top

Good luck on the mono comp as you have my vote on both

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
    Sorry Bob I'd flip a coin as they both have unique qualities …

#1 with the smoke and those perfect tracks

#2 the detail and shine plus the added bonus of the worker on top

Good luck on the mono comp as you have my vote on both
    Well ..... that's about where I ended up. I did more back-flips than Pauline Hansen, and changed my mind every day. Eventually i decided to go for number 1 even though I actually like number 2 better. I just had more people going for that from all the people I asked. I'll probably get a judge who's a train phobic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a tough one. I prefer the first because it has more textures and the whole movement thing gives me a great image to rove my eye over.

The second one has a personal touch but to me it doesn't appear to be evenly lit. It almost looks as it the top third has some form of graduated filter on it, contrast the colour between the side of the tank engine and the arm of the water tower and see what you think.

I still go with the first one, just because to me that covers the epitome of steam engines.
    Pentax K3, K100D Super, Sigma 18-50, Takamur-A 28-80, Pentax DA 50-200, Sicor 80-200, Tamron 2X teleconverter

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liney View Post
    It's a tough one. I prefer the first because it has more textures and the whole movement thing gives me a great image to rove my eye over.

The second one has a personal touch but to me it doesn't appear to be evenly lit. It almost looks as it the top third has some form of graduated filter on it, contrast the colour between the side of the tank engine and the arm of the water tower and see what you think.

I still go with the first one, just because to me that covers the epitome of steam engines.
    Yup ... the second one has a few variations - but that's just part of the HDR processing. The relative shadings are fairly faithful though. I agree about the whole epitome of steam trains though - that was a major part of my youth, and these photos bring back the smell of smoke and steam that my wife absolutely hates.

People either get steam trains or they don't. I once showed one driving past to my grandkids. They just shrugged and went back to what they were doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tell you one thing, the first one would make a cracking jigsaw puzzle...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast