Thread: Pricing real estate photos for the designer

Formerly known as : ColdBlood :
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pricing real estate photos for the designer

hi,
    I have a pricing model for the regular real estate photography, i.e. for the agents, owners, etc. But I'm not sure how to price photos for the designers, architects, decorators, etc - those guys who need photos for their portfolio. There is no issue of licensing shots for 1 year to sell a house but the portfolio shots have much larger lifetime, possibly perpetual. So how do I set pricing for this type of service?
    Please advise.
    Nikon D750, Tamron 15-30, Nikkor 70-300 VR2
    https://antongorlin.com
    Real Estate Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Though this is not by any means my field.

My thoughts are that designers, architects etc are always moving forward. The latest design trends, the latest architectural trends, etc.

So the chances of a designer or architect etc using the same photos, year on year, is likely to be rather slim. At most I would think 1-2 years. People want the latest trends in their new homes, or renovated homes. A couple of years back it was stainless steel appliances. Now it is appliances that have doors etc that match the bench and cabinetry and are hidden away. Everything changes.

So whilst they could use your photos for years, they are likely to not want to. Most will want to show they are 'on trend' and update their website etc accordingly. After all that is how you attract new customers.

Given all this, perhaps charge 2x your real estate photo pricing?
    Last edited by ricktas; 18-06-2018 at 7:34pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, I thought so too but that's the answer I just got from the designer:
    I'd keep them forever, but whether I will use all on my site or print, I'm sure.
    I guess the best is to assume designers will always use it in one way or another.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think that designers and architects would be trend setters, and in this regard would want THEIR portfolio to be up to date with the latest trend.

IME, Interior Designers, Hairstylists, Fashion Designers, Restaurant Owners (i.e. Food Photography) will keep images and use them as an historical reference, but not for direct commercial use for their portfolio. You might argue that is splitting hairs, and it probably is, but my main point is next.

I'd look at the situation differently and I'd make changes in the text on your website to reflect same.

Rather than as you do, state as a fact that designers, architects, builders, decorators require "Perpetual License", if it were my business I'd select those Clients out as special enough to (as a fact) require a constant refurbishing and updating of their portfolio. And then I would price a special deal for exactly that.

IME, a business will survive longer and prosper better by virtue of its marketing projecting the value of the continuum of Client returning, rather than skewing the marketing to a necessarily bigger initial cost for them.

WW

PS If you think that's reasonable business advice for gratis - then you can buy me a beer next time you're at Miranda Pub.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey William, thanks for your input.
    So you are saying you would do the opposite, make a better price for than hoping they'd come back? Never thought of it, thanks!

I'm not a pub visitor but if you live in the area we can do some sunrise together.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antongorlin View Post
    hey William, thanks for your input.
    You’re welcome.

So you are saying you would do the opposite, make a better price for than hoping they'd come back? .
    Not exactly. It is more complex than that.

Basically I made a comment about two matters-

1. your website tells (i.e. instructs) clients such as “designers, architects, builders, decorators, etc”, that they require “Perpetual License” and that “The pricing for such photos will depend on the particular situation and desired usage. Please quote and give as many details as possible."

This is the first point – I would NOT tell those Clients what they need; secondly I wouldn’t tell them that they had to do all the work and supply as many details as possible and as a result of them doing all that work I would then give them a price.

2. The second point that I made was that I would make these Clients special by understanding that they (unlike a Property Vendor who usually wants only one set of photos for use until the property is sold); this group usually requires ongoing updates for their portfolio and I would simply state that I supply that tailored service, also.

There would be no ‘hoping’ that they would come back - It would be part of the deal. And there would be no mention of them needing "Perpetual License”.

In any case, and for clarity, I would never (and have never) published any prices for services, on any website.

I'm not a pub visitor but if you live in the area we can do some sunrise together.

That was a tongue in cheek comment. I haven’t been inside the Miranda Hotel.

However, I do believe that I have seen you around the Sutherland area – if I think that I see you again, I will say hello.

WW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An architect doesn't churn out new buildings by the hour. Each one takes a pile of work over months or even years, and they love them like their children. More than their children actually, because unlike their creations, their children aren't perfect, and grow up into ordinary boring adults, whereas great design lives forever. Of course they keep portfolio shots for years and years.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys, I will change the wording on my site!
    Still not convinced about showing prices though. Pros and cons for both showing and not showing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks guys, I will change the wording on my site!
    Still not convinced about showing prices though. Pros and cons for both showing and not showing.
    Maybe. Prices start at $... for residential and prices start at $... for commercial/industrial.

Because photos for a suburban home are going to be easier than a multi-storey office block. Just like any other assignment, there is not a one size fits all.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . Still not convinced about showing prices though. Pros and cons for both showing and not showing.
    And I am not attempting to convince you. It depends upon exactly what business that one in.

As you stated in the OP "I have a pricing model for the regular real estate photography". And it is quite clear from your website, that, in this particular respect, your business does supply a package deal: i.e. it is a "one size fits all" approach.

However, the salient point about that particular business approach is, (which is why you asked the question in the first place) it can run into difficulty when a job comes up that doesn't really fit into the "one size fits all" category.

WW

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about approaching your target audience and asking them what they want and are prepared to pay?
    Well and good having a static pricing structure on a web site that no-one looks at.
    Random thoughts as I have no experience here.
    Last edited by Mark L; 06-08-2018 at 10:20pm.