User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  32

View Poll Results: What OS does your mobile phone have?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android (Google)

25 73.53%
  • iOS (Apple)

9 26.47%
  • Other (?)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Android or iOS?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Right click on Finder and choose “New Finder Window”
    "Right click"? On a Mac? Huh?

- - - Updated - - -

The only gotcha I can think of when cut/copy/pasting is that when you drag a file to move it, the OS will copy it when moving between two different drives, but cut when moving between two folders on the same drive. You can override the copying if you wish to cut by holding down the command key.
    Vastly simpler on a PC. If you are smart, you do all your copying/moving using the right mouse button (no keyboard required) - it simply asks you which of the possible actions (move/copy/etc) you want.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well, I use neither a mouse nor a keyboard, though that does mean I sometimes have to go back and delete a file after moving it.

And clearly we need a "Macs vs Windows" forum, since we've completely taken leave of smartphones at this stage. For what it's worth, I think iPhones and Android devices cut, copy, and paste exactly the same way. (?)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    The command key replaces the ctrl key. So copy cut and paste are command-C/X/V
    In Finder, all the shortcuts are listed when you go into File, Edit, View etc. on the top menu bar.
    Eg. A new finder window is Command-N when you're in finder or command-T for a new tab in the same finder window.
    What do you mean by thumbnails? In the finder View menu, you can change your view type. Command 1, 2, 3, 4 goes through the different view types.
    Sorry, my computer lingo is rubbish. Perhaps I mean tiles instead of thumbnails? Not sure.

Either way, I’ve gone through the four view options and found any but the list type to be offensive. Even little things like the lack of columns with the Mac, where instead the files are just listed in an endless single list.

All probably insignificant but stuff I guess I just got used to with PCs.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this got derailed rather quickly.
    Tis not a Mac vs Windows thread - it's an iOS vs Android (for ) thread
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, to be fair, there's the Windows OS for phones, but there little evidence of it in this thread
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a Windows phone once, I forget why. Never figured out how to do even the simplest things on it. Eventually gave it to the brother in law who seemed happy with it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - you said it!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently use Android (an Oppo F1s) which doesn't do a bad job.

Originally used iOS/iPhone, as I prefer the interface, but after my third iPhone failed in 12 months (I can be rather hard on phones), I ended up switching.

Current Oppo has survived somewhere around 12 months, and has been dropped, kicked, left in the sun and even almost washed once, but still survives (touch wood!).
    Last edited by Bensch; 01-06-2018 at 7:52pm.
    -Andy

All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Sorry, my computer lingo is rubbish. Perhaps I mean tiles instead of thumbnails? Not sure.

Either way, I’ve gone through the four view options and found any but the list type to be offensive. Even little things like the lack of columns with the Mac, where instead the files are just listed in an endless single list.

All probably insignificant but stuff I guess I just got used to with PCs.
    Don’t worry, my lingo is pretty crappy too.
    Anyways I thought you might have meant icon view (the name I only just found out after a quick google) like in this link:
    https://blog.macsales.com/43133-mac-...r-views-part-1
    But maybe not.
    But in icon view, your jpegs show up as thumbnails which you can customise the size (as outlined in the link above).

But this is the reason I’m resistant to change OS whether computer or smartphone. I’m sure there’s a very easy way to do something that I used to do on another OS but I just can’t be bothered relearning the idiosyncrasies.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android all the way - Apple is a good ecosystem because what they allow you to do, it works, but outside of that...

Though I do remember the old Windows phones, my first ever being the HTC Cruise.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    - Apple is a good ecosystem because what they allow you to do, it works, but outside of that...
    Not my experience with iPhones over the years.
    Have to say tho, my experience has only ever been via others iPhone assuming that I have some knowledge of the stuff.

Two phones had wifi issues. Simply wouldn't connect to some wifi points, but would to others. Made zero sense to me .. my assessment was that apple's hardware people simply had no idea on how to actually make things compatible accoss the board.
    Another iPhone issue I was asked to help fix .. when I explained my fix, sis wasn't overly happy with the reply(BTW was get an Android phone! )

I gravitated to Android solely on the basis that you could whatever hardware you desired. That could be as expensive as a top end $1K+ model, or a cheap as chips giveaway item.
    I don't waste money on phones .. I get the cheap as chips giveaway models.
    My standard modus operandi is to have about a $25-40 plan and get a phone free.

Android itself hasn't really been a problem for me .. but I've had major bluetooth issues with a recent Huawei phone. would kind of connect, and wouldn't connect to some handsfree systems in our work trucks.
    Still have the phone, but replaced with an LG of similar 6.5" screen size.

recently tried to get my sisters security camera system up and running and running in remote view mode on her stupid iPhone. Under no circumstances would it connect, or allow some specific IP and port setting to be made.
    Out of curiosity, I had a go at connecting my LG, where it allowed me to input a specific address port for the network connection ... and IP cameras all displayed immediately. Slow, and laggy but at least video feed coming through.

Once again my advice to sis was to get rid fo the stoopid iPhone and get an Android.

From my experience .. Samsung make the better 'Droid hardware by far.
    I've been through a couple of no name brands, Sony, LG(x2), Huawei(never again), and many Samsungs .. Samsungs have always been better in some way.
    Still have about 6 or 7 phones with various problems.
    SGS2's with cracked screens
    SGS3(unwanted), gave the second one to dad, who lost his temper with it and threw it across the yard one day. Totally destroyed screen now, but still works!
    Sony(broken micro USB port, so won't charge)
    Huawei(nothing wrong except it's garbage internal hardware bits).

freebie LG is all I need. I'm not an overly smart smartphone user .. I'm more of a modern version of Tannin.
    I reckon phones should be used as phones, and computers should be used for computing!

In the past 12+ months, I reckon the main 'apps I use on my phone are:
    1/. googles mapping, because getting a semi trailer stuck in a supermarket car park is no fun! (95%)
    2/. bank apps, coz I regularly forget to pay bills(as opposed to forget to pay regular bills!) and then remember at 12:30AM whilst having a break!
    3/. the note app installed when I use MyPhoneExplorer to manage a phone .. properly! .. to create/maintain notes.
    I used to try to remember arcane part numbers, such as LB809002487 with the specs M14x1.5 T12.
    My old method was to write that down on a scrap piece of paper, but invariably I'd see a scrap piece of paper in the car and scrunch it up and throw it in the recycle bin .. forgetting what those jibberish number meant!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, guess I forgot about the times when the iPhone is funny and doesn't work properly, but as said, what you're allowed to do within its ecosystem :P

I've personally used and stayed with Sony. Not the best phone, but I like the UI over the others, so I'm stuck in Sony's ecosystem now so I can send photos to my wife just by tapping the backs together rather than go through the whole bluetooth sharing thing since it's the same brand

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bitsnpieces View Post
    True, guess I forgot about the times when the iPhone is funny and doesn't work properly, but as said, what you're allowed to do within its ecosystem :P

I've personally used and stayed with Sony. Not the best phone, but I like the UI over the others, so I'm stuck in Sony's ecosystem now so I can send photos to my wife just by tapping the backs together rather than go through the whole bluetooth sharing thing since it's the same brand
    Samsung has that feature too. They call it Samsung Beam. You can tap photos, files, music, movies, contact info, etc all across to another samsung phone.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I think iPhones and Android devices cut, copy, and paste exactly the same way. (?)
    Correct. Badly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never actually managed to do it myself.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, I can't think of a good method for cut and paste on a phone. We are talking about a tiny, crippled device which has neither mouse nor keyboard, so it isn't an easy task. The fact that I have been unable to come up with a better way after giving the matter deep thought and my divided attention for almost 15 seconds shows just how big a challenge it is. But isn't that why the design whiz-kids at Apple and Google get the big bucks? Let the buggers earn it!

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android, because I hate the contemptuous way Apple treat their customers.

Apple tragics will race out to buy the latest and greatest, even queue up overnight to get their latest iFix....

Apple make interfacing (itunes) as convoluted as possible, sometimes removing stored media after itunes updates, making paid for apps unavailable, changing the way iTunes works, and the despicable practice of deliberate engineering of updates to make iDevices slower so the users feel a need to upgrade.

We've had 4 iPads over the past few years, the first 2 became so slow and unstable as to be unusable after software updates. The second 2 are still running, I have a continual battle with the automatic (no opt out option) update, the update is downloaded whether wanted or not and the only way to stop auto install is to delete the update whereupon the cycle starts over.

The afformentioned wifi connection issue also extends to bad behaviour, I've seeen apple devices crash networks because of badly behaved dhcp (ip addressing) use. Our salesman used to rock up to work with an apple laptop, ipdad and iphone in tow, the minute he entrerd the building the network would crash. The cause was ongoing use of expired DHCP leases by the iDevices.

As a technician I see these issues quite often. If you're interested check this link. https://serverfault.com/questions/27...pad-dhcp-issue

Let's not forget the dodgy lightning connector and the removal of the standard audio jack in the latest hardware.
    Last edited by phild; 25-07-2018 at 8:41am.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta for the link, Phil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Android because I'm a cheapskate, but I was annoyed with the level of faffing around required to get apps, menus etc. setup. Whereas an iPhone just works. Use a Mac laptop and Ipad otherwise. Will have to get an Apple SE next time because its the only non-crappy small phone around. All the Android phones keep getting larger and larger.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Data, definitely Android - the first quote here.

He didn't say "I am an iOS!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast