User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  32

View Poll Results: What OS does your mobile phone have?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android (Google)

25 73.53%
  • iOS (Apple)

9 26.47%
  • Other (?)

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Android or iOS?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vwitana View Post
    I have an Android because I'm a cheapskate, but I was annoyed with the level of faffing around required to get apps, menus etc. setup. Whereas an iPhone just works. ....
    I hear this all the time and think ...

I've never faffed around getting menus, apps or anything to work in the various android devices I've had over time .. can't help to think what it is about android that some folks don't get.

Mine have always 'just worked'.

OTOH .. trying to get my sisters iPhone to connect to her security camera system .. setting IP addresses and specific port requirements .. and zip! .. nothing nada .. just wouldn't work no matter how many hours I faffed around in the settings.
    My phone connected straight up found the connection and port and cameras all online. Problem was that I had no need to connect remotely to her security cameras.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a security camera connected to an iPone at one time. It connected effortlessly, no faffing around at all. Worked perfectly for about a month then just stopped, never to work again. I blame the camera.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    ... I blame the camera.

I didn't have the luxury of blaming a camera .. or the other 7 cameras .. nor the box that ran all the cameras and it's OS, and HDD ... my phone connected straight up, and so did her laptop.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Android - have for 8 years. I've never had an iPhone though I've been able to play with a couple.

My main reason for sticking with Android is its openness - it has an accessible file system. Eg I can attach an external drive or SD card reader to look at my photos. (Though I can connect my current camera via WiFi and don't even have to go to that trouble anymore).

The range of pricing is a close second, though. I buy mid-range devices now, for around $400, and upgrade every couple of years. With such a big range of Android devices out there, you can get almost exactly what you want... I want dual SIM for travelling and still being able to get my SMS from the bank. I also want micro SD storage to store my photos or other big data - maybe a movie or two for flights or rainy days, music etc etc. And of course lots of RAM so I can do more simultaneously. NFC so I can pay instead of using a card. Finger print sensor for convenience and security.

As to all those apps pre-installed on Android phones... Yes, I hate that so much. It's why I bought a Nexus phone and then a Moto X 2nd gen, and then Moto G5 Plus because Moto doesn't put all those unwanted apps on there. I also bought them outright and unlocked because I'm happy with my $10 a month unlimited talk/text and 1gb data plan.

I think my next phone is going to be Android One - these are updated directly by Google and have no extra apps either. But my current phone is still going strong at the moment.

Smart phone cameras are pretty good these days with auto-HDR etc - although probably not what you're concerned with in a camera forum. Still, it's the camera you have on you most of the time while out and about, if you're like most people. Android phones (that I can't afford) have been beating iOS phones in that regard in the last couple of generations, too.

One important thing where iPhone and iPad users have an advantage is with apps. So many times I read about this great app - especially photography related - and find it's only available for iOS. Or the iOS version has more features than Android (thanks Adobe. Not.) On the other hand, I see apps seem to cost more on iOS than the Play store...

I could go on, but yeah - Android for me.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About "...than Android (thanks Adobe...)", don't you mean Google?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    About "...than Android (thanks Adobe...)", don't you mean Google?
    Heh. No - it's Adobe that prefers iOS for its apps and brings features there first or in some cases, only. Admittedly, it's less work for them with compatibility issues etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123