User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  32

View Poll Results: What OS does your mobile phone have?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Android (Google)

25 73.53%
  • iOS (Apple)

9 26.47%
  • Other (?)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Android or iOS?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Android or iOS?

So how do you roll. Android or Apple?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android is a truly horrible thing designed to do nothing other than spy on you and collect a huge database of information to sell. It doesn't even let you control the equipment you bought with your own money, and it sneaks apps you don't want back on again without your consent. For example, you can't edit or even read the HOSTS file. Zero privacy, terrible security, deliberate lock-in. I despise it.

IOS is the same as Android only more expensive, and with even less control. (Pay more, get less. How does that work?)

"Other" doesn't exist anymore, not in any practical way.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Android is a truly horrible thing designed to do nothing other than spy on you and collect a huge database of information to sell. It doesn't even let you control the equipment you bought with your own money, and it sneaks apps you don't want back on again without your consent. For example, you can't edit or even read the HOSTS file. Zero privacy, terrible security, deliberate lock-in. I despise it.

IOS is the same as Android only more expensive, and with even less control. (Pay more, get less. How does that work?)

So which do YOU use?
    Last edited by paulheath; 30-05-2018 at 11:07pm.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My seven-year-old dumbphone died last week. I'm damned if I'll pay extra for an inferior product. That leaves Andriod. Which I despise. But it's the only game in town.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple for me. It was Windows and Android all my life up until about maybe four years ago when a mate at work could get me a Macbook Pro at a good price and I went in and it all snowballed from there. I've only had the Macbook Pro and Apple phones since then and wouldn't go back.

It's not that I think Apple is better... not at all. They're illogical and frustrating at times, but I'm a convert either way. Once you get used to it all, it generally works quite well... even if they're not as logical as the Windows/Android mob.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Apple for me. It was Windows and Android all my life up until about maybe four years ago when a mate at work could get me a Macbook Pro at a good price and I went in and it all snowballed from there. I've only had the Macbook Pro and Apple phones since then and wouldn't go back.

It's not that I think Apple is better... not at all. They're illogical and frustrating at times, but I'm a convert either way. Once you get used to it all, it generally works quite well... even if they're not as logical as the Windows/Android mob.
    Interesting, isn't it. I use windows at home and have done so in all my past workplaces. My current workplace (been there 3 1/2 years) has Macs. I was really intrigued by how 'better' they were supposed to be compared to Windoze. Well they freeze up occasionally and need a restart, the same as PC. And everything I could do on a Windows PC I can do on the Macs. I really see no actual benefit of one over the other. Different menus, but really other than that, I could not say one system is better than the other. I do however, like that I can just open up a PC and put an extra HDD or SSD in, or add some extra ram. Much harder to make hardware changes to Macs. We recently had an SSD added to one of the Mac's at work. Cost about 2x the price of adding one the same size to a windows pc. The Mac had to be removed from the workplace and taken to the Apple Store to have this done (took 3 days to get the Mac back). If it was a windows pc, it could have been done in the workplace, in about 15 minutes. So on that alone, I would say Windows has a slight advantage. But otherwise, it is all rather ho-hum.. same old same old.
    Last edited by ricktas; 31-05-2018 at 7:51am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha ha ha ...no wonder you have such long lenes, must be hard getting close to your targets with that shiny tin-foil-hat reflecting of the sun (())

Cheers - Oh!...and don't get too close to the edge
    (Just meant as fun. No harm intended...)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Interesting, isn't it. I use windows at home and have done so in all my past workplaces. My current workplace (been there 3 1/2 years) has Macs. I was really intrigued by how 'better' they were supposed to be compared to Windoze. Well they freeze up occasionally and need a restart, the same as PC. And everything I could do on a Windows PC I can do on the Macs. I really see no actual benefit of one over the other. Different menus, but really other than that, I could not say one system is better than the other. I do however, like that I can just open up a PC and put an extra HDD or SSD in, or add some extra ram. Much harder to make hardware changes to Macs. We recently had an SSD added to one of the Mac's at work. Cost about 2x the price of adding one the same size to a windows pc. The Mac had to be removed from the workplace and taken to the Apple Store to have this done (took 3 days to get the Mac back). If it was a windows pc, it could have been done in the workplace, in about 15 minutes. So on that alone, I would say Windows has a slight advantage. But otherwise, it is all rather ho-hum.. same old same old.
    I tell you the single thing I miss the most, as inane as it seems.

Because I am constantly moving music and photos, I basically always had two windows open on my PCs, moving files from place to place.

Now, you can obviously still move stuff on a Mac (I much prefer to use Bridge compared to the horrible Finder) but it is nowhere near as simple and easy as just having two windows open and transferring with ease, as I did on the PC.

And in general, I still find it easier just to navigate a PC than I do my Mac.

Like I said, in time it all becomes familiar and you get used to it. But I definitely find the PC easier to use for the basic user of computers. Which is me.

All this said, the thing I am loving about the Mac is it’s speed. I don’t know if I just got unlucky, but every PC I ever owned, right up until the current day, just ends up slow. I don’t know if I just abused them too much, but you download a few programs, fill up a bit of space and everything just slows down.

Alternatively, I’ve had my Mac at capacity many times and it always runs at the same speed. Touch wood, but it’s just fast, all of the time. And that definitely suits me.

Like I said, I may just have been unlucky with my PCs, but I was unlucky for about 25 years with dozens of different computers.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My! You're nothing if not oft-quoth today, Tannin

Just to expand on your "...not in any practical way".

They may be unheard of, but here are 6 of at least 8 (and one I read about in APC magazine, if I can find it...)

And there's the LEAST known of them all: Windows! - an open-and-shut casement to be sure...

(But I agree with your tirade against the BIG 2.)

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Did I forget to say ANDRID?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am on my third iPhone so that speaks for itself

I have lots of Apple Products, even a MacBook Pro and I hate it, so I bought a new laptop 18 months ago it has Win 10 in it and I hate that too.

Though I love my PC running Win7 64 bit its 5 years old now I had it built to what I wanted then, though have had to get a larger SSD put in and more RAM.
    And that's what I like about PC's you can do some of that yourself and your labour is FREE..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They mostly do the same things and any/most advantages that one has over the other is only temporary since it's so competitive these days.
    So I'm an Apple user but for no other reason than I can't be bothered switching and relearning things. In my experience things tend to just work in the apple ecosystem, until they don't. In which case there is NO WAY around it, you're basically stuck. Luckily my IT demands are not very high.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t quite get Geoff’s difficulty moving files on a Mac. Open two finder windows and drag from one to the other.
    can’t do it on an iPhone unfortunately.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Don’t quite get Geoff’s difficulty moving files on a Mac. Open two finder windows and drag from one to the other.
    can’t do it on an iPhone unfortunately.
    Really? Oh dear, am I really that daft? I’ve never been able to have two Finder windows open at once. When I click on the Finder icon it only allows me to have the one open... doesn’t allow a second one to open separately. I’ll double check this tonight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right click on Finder and choose “New Finder Window”

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Right click on Finder and choose “New Finder Window”
    Yep, I soon worked that one out as I started working with Macs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linux OS as an alternative to Win or Apple?
    Barry

D7200 & D5600

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Yep, I soon worked that one out as I started working with Macs
    Haha, yep, it is that simple. But the copy/cut/replace options aren't as simple, are they? And can you use thumbnails as on a PC? It all seems horrifically less logical than the PC, but maybe it is just the stupidity of the user.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Haha, yep, it is that simple. But the copy/cut/replace options aren't as simple, are they? And can you use thumbnails as on a PC? It all seems horrifically less logical than the PC, but maybe it is just the stupidity of the user.
    The command key replaces the ctrl key. So copy cut and paste are command-C/X/V
    In Finder, all the shortcuts are listed when you go into File, Edit, View etc. on the top menu bar.
    Eg. A new finder window is Command-N when you're in finder or command-T for a new tab in the same finder window.
    What do you mean by thumbnails? In the finder View menu, you can change your view type. Command 1, 2, 3, 4 goes through the different view types.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only gotcha I can think of when cut/copy/pasting is that when you drag a file to move it, the OS will copy it when moving between two different drives, but cut when moving between two folders on the same drive. You can override the copying if you wish to cut by holding down the command key.

If you want to copy to the same drive you can hold down the option key to override the cutting.

You can also use command+c to copy, and command+v to paste. Command+x to cut only works for text. I have no idea why.

Right mouse click only gives the option to copy.

see? Perfectly clear and straightforward!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richtbw View Post
    Linux OS as an alternative to Win or Apple?
    on a phone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast