Thread: pregnant people portraits... or PPP

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pregnant people portraits... or PPP

hehe!!

anyhow a friend of my wife wants her to take some pregy person portraits on her (she is having twins)... so has anyone got any tips or hints for compositions and lighting (i dont have studio lights so its natural lighting and cieling lights plus whatever my flash will do.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Talk to her about what she wants. She probably has a few pregnancy magazines lying around. There might be some good poses etc in there that she would like to attempt.

Personally, I like the low key, dark, silhouetted shots with just a tad of light to define the contours of the image.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best tip (it's free to you) is not to wait too long.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not from a photographers point of view - but from a mum's view:

*It needs to be about the beauty and miracle of life. Not about how "big" the stomach is. I can name heaps of friends including myself who hated photos during pregnancy due to the size of the belly and the number of unflattering shots of the size of other areas of the body which grew along with the belly.

*Then there is the skin around the baby. Most of the time it almost looks a little transparent - you can often see lots of veins, the skin looks blotchy and more than likely there is stretch marks. So probably B&W or soft lighting would be best.

*Have to agree with Rick talk to the mum about what she wants.

Good luck
    Olympus E-510 | Kit lenses Olympus 14mm- 42mm, 40mm- 150mm & newly acquired 50mm f/2
    Photoshop Elements 6 | Velbon Tripod |FL-36 Electronic Flash

Next on the hit list is Sigma 10mm - 20mm

Any comments and critique welcome.

Amor fati!
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... thanks i think...

i figured soft lighting... soft everything... oh i dont know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some from a couple of recent shoots:

Amor fati!
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... thanks guys.
    more thinking...

thanks for the pics dan. i'll look at some mags too...

Amor fati!
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well you lot will be please to know thaqt the deed has been done... i am pretty happy with some of the shots (took 800), but now i have a question...

blemishes, remove them all? keep some? tone them down? if i remove them all does the person lose identity? what do yas think?

time for the PPing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhh tough question David.

I think you just need to start the PP slowly. Remove some blemishes, but I think removing too much from the photo makes it seem like glamour photography rather than photographing the miracle of pregnancy. Though your model may want more of a glamourous look. I am sorry - not much help here, but very interested in seeing the shots. Good luck.

Amor fati!
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, i'll post a few shots after PPing them, thats still a long way off tho... 800 pics is a few to go thru. I have decided that i am going to PP most of them and give all 800 to her, that way she can do as she pleases with them. 95% were done out doors and we picked spots were the lighting looked intersting

being this is the first time that i have done a shoot i was pretty nervous at first, but its funny how the moment the camera goes up its all proffesional.

Amor fati!
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    come on! i know theres more portrait pros out there... what do you guys do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    thanks, i'll post a few shots after PPing them, thats still a long way off tho... 800 pics is a few to go thru. I have decided that i am going to PP most of them and give all 800 to her, that way she can do as she pleases with them. 95% were done out doors and we picked spots were the lighting looked intersting
    I would give her 30 max. What is she going to do with 800 images. Are you serious?

You're the photographer. It's your job to use your discerning eye to select the 30 (or so) absolute best shots, process them up all pretty and present them to your client.

I once read somewhere a quote along these lines: "An amateur photographer takes 1000 images and shows them all. A professional photographer takes 100 photos and shows 10."

I honestly don't think there is anything to gain by giving someone 800 images. I wouldn't even supply that many for a wedding. It will merely overwhelm your client and take you way to long to prepare. Nobody wins.

Go through the shoot, be ruthless, select the 30-40 absolute best different shots, process them, make them look amazing then present to your client.

Amor fati!
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee thanks for replying zeke. i nevr thought of that... i guess 30 odd photos that look great would be better than 800 mixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, 800 is too many.
    I'd say 30 photos would be PLENTY!!! 80 at max IF you are confident they are essential and are top quality.

I would rather have 30 brilliant photos than 800 good photos.

As for blemishes.... I'd leave things like frekles or 'beauty spots'as thats what makes a person who they are. I'd just clone out anything thats not so permanent, like if they had a crumb or pimples or a scratch. You could probably tone things down a little, but I wouldn't remove things like freckles completly. I'd be more focused on bringing the other things OUT, as in enhance her eyes or bring the attention to her belly or her face if she has that special loving gaze... whatever it is that you want to be the focus.

Not that I've ever done maternity photos before. I'm just going by what I like to see, and what I'd like myself.

I'll be doing maternity photos soon (cliant is only 16 weeks so it's a little ways off yet).
    I'd love to see your (and others!!) photos!
    **Canon EOS 40D *** **Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM**Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L***Canon 580EX Speedlight**

I'm here to learn, honest critique welcome on my photos unless otherwise stated.
    >>>>www.melissamillerphotography.com.au <<<<

Amor fati!
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for your reply gypsy. i'll try and get some up soon