Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
Arthur, that's exactly what Bridge does.

Almost no other software supports IPTC keywords. ..
maybe they changed
In my experience Bridge never added IPTC data into NEF, CRW nor PEF files that I've tried .. but in saying that, I'm talking at least 3years ago now.
Could do jpgs and tiffs .. but who needs jpgs and tiffs for archiving(well OK, tiffs maybe, but camera files .. not tiff .. always only only ever raw)

Maybe they have better interoperability with Olympus raw files?

Only software that I've ever found to allow IPTC data entry into raw files has been:
PhotoSupreme(now) .. but back in the day it used to be IDImager(which I still have a license for) PhotoSupreme wasn't a good upgrade path tho, may have to eventually reconsider it as an option.
I haven't yet tried Pentax's own software, but Canon and Nikon's raw file software allows IPTC data to be embedded into their respective raw files.
The only other software that allows embedding IPTC data into the raw file is M$'s Photo Gallery(free), with the stipulation that you have your manufacturers raw codec installed on Windows.
(no idea if this is possible in a Mac environment).
They are the only few software I've tried(and I reckon I tried them all! ) that will add keyword data into a raw file. (as well as Exiftool based software).

So my primary and secondary keyword/tag info is entered via Nikon's software and Windows Photo Gallery(but Gallery is about to be completely run out of town with the next incarnation of Windows .. so I'm on borrowed time using Gallery)

I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be confusing embedded IPTC data into a raw file(if that's what you were referring too) with Bridge's usage of 'linked data'
So in the instance(of linked data) Bridge knows of the file that you seemingly have entered IPTC data into .. but the reality is it's linked to that file, not embedded. Break the link and you see no IPTC data in that raw file.

What I'm referring too is:
Keyword with either Nikon software or Tag with Window Photo Gallery(makes no difference which).
Once done in one, the other sees it too. (that's really all I use).
But! .. open the folder of the raw files, click on a raw file in Windows Explorer and the data entered via Galley of Nikon's software is also usable in Win Explorer.
Almost all other software will also see the embedded data too. I've yet to come across software(of any use) that doesn't use that embedded data.
This is the major difference!
Add the data via Bridge, and Windows can't see it .. matter of fact no other software that I know of can either(other than Adobe software).
I know that soem software can be made to use the database of Adobe metadata, but it's an arduous process and basically regurgitates all that data into a new database. IDImager had a tool to do this. But it couldn't see Adobe 'linked' metadata.

Anyhow, this is the way it works on Nikon/Canon/Pentax(PEF!!) files
If it's different in ORW land .. could be a good reason to seriously look into Olympus!

Note tho .. I have limited experience with DNG, have converted some files, downloaded others(I don't have a DNG capable camera) .. but some data gets garbled in the conversion from CRW and NEF to DNG, but IPTC data is seen on some other DNG capable software.
Actually, my real hope is that one day camera makers will just suck it up and adopt DNG as a proper alternative to silly TIFF files in camera!
I can't ever remeber anyone in the last 15 years having shot in TIFF format in camera!

It'd be interesting to hear back if your use of IPTC data into Olympus raw files is seen across the board by other software(and which does, and which don't).