User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17

Thread: Dx0 goes into receivership......

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dx0 goes into receivership......

Dennis

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! Fallout from the C ANALytica debacle, perhaps
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the article, it is DXO Labs (software production) that's in trouble, not DXO Mark (testing).

This is completely backwards. DXO Labs have produced some excellent stuff over the years and would be sadly missed, where DXO Mark's "tests" are a laughing stock and have been for many years. No-one would miss them in the slightest.

There ain't no justice.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the meat in the link indicates its gone in to administration which is a different thing to receivership. The administrator takes over to try and trade out of any difficulty

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Administration is much, much better. Apart from anything else, at least I know how to spell it.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    Actually the meat in the link indicates its gone in to administration which is a different thing to receivership.
    Not that I am 100% sure of this aspect apropos French Company Law, but in many countries - that is exactly correct.

The Headline (in "Canon Rumors" not referring to the OP here) is an example of very poor journalism, verging on sensationalism.

Unfortunately the same headline has been replicated on other so called 'news' sites; which are more examples of poor journalism.

I guess that one day those 'publishers' may be called to account under law, possibly on that day, they may never know what hit them.

WW

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Not that I am 100% sure of this aspect apropos French Company Law, but in many countries - that is exactly correct.

The Headline (in "Canon Rumors" not referring to the OP here) is an example of very poor journalism, verging on sensationalism.

Unfortunately the same headline has been replicated on other so called 'news' sites; which are more examples of poor journalism.

I guess that one day those 'publishers' may be called to account under law, possibly on that day, they may never know what hit them.

WW
    These days journalism inherently means poor journalism.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -ly, it's always been the case.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    According to the article, it is DXO Labs (software production) that's in trouble, not DXO Mark (testing).

This is completely backwards. DXO Labs have produced some excellent stuff over the years and would be sadly missed, where DXO Mark's "tests" are a laughing stock and have been for many years. No-one would miss them in the slightest.

There ain't no justice.
    Just curious as to why DXO Mark is so bad? I treat all lens tests with a large grain of salt, but they seem no worse than other lens testers. Who would you recommend?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside -

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    These days journalism inherently means poor journalism. . . .
    Oh, I reckon there are still a few seriously good professional journalists around: but yes they are fewer by percentage. ‘social’ media has had a lot to do with that.

WW

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Aside -

Oh, I reckon there are still a few seriously good professional journalists around: but yes they are fewer by percentage. ‘social’ media has had a lot to do with that.

WW
    And people don't want to search out the good journalism that still exists because it's not served up to them on social media and it's longer than two paragraphs.
    Last edited by Mark L; 30-04-2018 at 10:18pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DXO's absurd sensor "tests" disqualify them from any claim to serious consideration as a purveyor of useful information. Possibly some of their other work is less ridiculous, but who'd trust it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DXO's absurd sensor "tests" disqualify them from any claim to serious consideration as a purveyor of useful information. Possibly some of their other work is less ridiculous, but who'd trust it?
    I admit that it's the first time I have looked at it and it did take some deciphering. It seems an attempt to measure sensor performance without taking any other camera features into account, which is ok as an objective. Unfortunately it misses out some of the sensor features, but it does give a reasonable comparison between the sensors that it lists and it generally fits with other review data. Their weighting of the scores they give is open to debate, but they do list the individual scores, so that should be ok. It is interesting to note that the Canon sensors score very well (comparatively) before 2010, and very badly after about 2013. This fits with reality, but does not take into account the other things that go to make up a camera, but it's not designed to.
    Why do you think it is absurd?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to think of recent examples, Steve, because to be honest who even looks at it anymore? But there have been a few shockers. Mind you, they'd have to do something really spectacular to erase the memory of their "scientific" finding that the D200 had lower noise than the 5D. Sure, that was a very long time ago, and I can't bring more recent ones to mind without searching to refresh my memory. We all have better things to do than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to think of recent examples, Steve, because to be honest who even looks at it anymore? But there have been a few shockers. Mind you, they'd have to do something really spectacular to erase the memory of their "scientific" finding that the D200 had lower noise than the 5D. Sure, that was a very long time ago, and I can't bring more recent ones to mind without searching to refresh my memory. We all have better things to do than that.
    You don't hear them quoted a lot, which says something, and their data seems a bit limited. Based on your recommendations I won't change my viewing habits. I didn't look at them before and I won't look at them in future.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least there is some good news though, that Nik software development continues though I wonder how much we will have to pay for it when it arrives.

DxO Labs Press Release

Greetings.

On March 7, 2018, DxO Labs chose to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection and is now in the process of restructuring the business.

We are very confident that this procedure, which should not last for more than a few more weeks, will not affect our customers in any way. In fact, we are pleased to announce the following upcoming product releases:

In June, we will release a free update (version 1.2) of our flagship software, DxO PhotoLab. Recently awarded the TIPA 2018 Award for Best Image Processing Software, this latest version of DxO PhotoLab will include improved local correction features, and will add support for 7 cameras, including the Canon EOS 2000D and the Sony A7 III. This release will also be an opportunity for us to reiterate our commitment to the “perpetual license” model (as opposed to a subscription model) that allows our customers to update their products according to their needs, rather than in a constrained manner.
    In June, we will release the new version of the Nik Software Collection, which DxO acquired from Google at the end of 2017. Much awaited by the Nik software community, this first “by DxO” version focuses on fixing bugs that up until now could disrupt the user experience, as well as on ensuring full compatibility with the latest Mac OS and PC platforms.

Thank you for your understanding and confidence,

The DxO Team
    Share Tweet Comment
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham