Thread: SmugMug Acquires flicka.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Dale View Post
    You haven't lost them, they are just having some server trouble today.
    Strange that as I have had no problems with my flickr account.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Strange that as I have had no problems with my flickr account.

Its still going on, 1000's of people have temporarily 'lost' their photos and the help pages are melting -

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en...7696686588785/

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Dale View Post
    Its still going on, 1000's of people have temporarily 'lost' their photos and the help pages are melting -

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en...7696686588785/
    Guess I am one of the Lucky Ones *For a Change*

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mary Anne I have been able to access my Flickr page today and it is almost back to normal I guess with the handover a few problems are bound to surface.

Having two Flickr pages the aim is to have the high quality Flickr page in Smug Mug eventually and one general quality page for Flickr groups in Flickr re sharing the photos bit.

cheers Nick

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the confirmation Bear, not going mad just yet
    cheers Nick
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 12-05-2018 at 8:50am.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    Mary Anne I have been able to access my Flickr page today and it is almost back to normal I guess with the handover a few problems are bound to surface.

Having two Flickr pages the aim is to have the high quality Flickr page in Smug Mug eventually and one general quality page for Flickr groups in Flickr re sharing the photos bit.

cheers Nick
    Thanks for getting back to me Nick, good to know you now have access to your flicka account.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post

So why the high quality Flickr page in Smug Mug and not Flickr, mmm I'm getting confused ??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoPho View Post
    Glad to read you are happy.
    I am going to check out Google images... lower quality but all I am interested in is sharing a 1200 x whatever image once a week.
    Hey Jo, is the weekly image you want to share just here, or elsewhere on the web? I just ask because I barely use any of these flikr, smug or google photos at all. I think I have/had a flikr account but as it was linked to my wife’s email address I never used it. And I do have a google one, purely to share photos of my kids with my family. But for posting here, I’ve only ever just done the direct upload to the site, which seems to work well. If that’s what you mean, you may not need an online gallery thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Hey Jo, is the weekly image you want to share just here, or elsewhere on the web? I just ask because I barely use any of these flikr, smug or google photos at all. I think I have/had a flikr account but as it was linked to my wife’s email address I never used it. And I do have a google one, purely to share photos of my kids with my family. But for posting here, I’ve only ever just done the direct upload to the site, which seems to work well. If that’s what you mean, you may not need an online gallery thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Geoff,
    I've only ever housed images on Flickr to share here (and sometimes photobucket) as the quality is high and it saves the forum the bandwidth for having to store photos.
    I had a crack at using the google one.. but can't figure out how to link the images here. Must admit got a bit distracted by some other things on the way to finding a free flickr alternative...

- - - Updated - - -

QUOTE=Geoff79;1452878]Hey Jo, is the weekly image you want to share just here, or elsewhere on the web? I just ask because I barely use any of these flikr, smug or google photos at all. I think I have/had a flikr account but as it was linked to my wife’s email address I never used it. And I do have a google one, purely to share photos of my kids with my family. But for posting here, I’ve only ever just done the direct upload to the site, which seems to work well. If that’s what you mean, you may not need an online gallery thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Hi Geoff,
    I've only ever housed images on Flickr to share here (and sometimes photobucket) as the quality is high and it saves the forum the bandwidth for having to store photos.
    I had a crack at using the google one.. but can't figure out how to link the images here. Must admit got a bit distracted by some other things on the way to finding a free flickr alternative...
    Last edited by JoPho; 17-05-2018 at 10:16pm.
    Been here, not done that.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the one thing we can be confident in, is the fact that they'll have learned a lot from the photoshop debacle.

As far as flickr - I suspect they'll 'grandfather' it with accounts staying as is so hopefully not breaking links to forums - which is what pusbucket screwed up.

I've no direct experience but have only heard good things about smugmug... so far.

I have my own piwigo gallery hosted on server space I pay for (also used for my other websites and a forum I run) so I have more control - but that's certainly not they best solution for everyone.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my blog post where I explain what I did as far as self-hosting is concerned.
    http://landyvlad.net/wp/photobucket-can-kiss-my-arse/

But like I said, it's not for everyone. SmugMug's pricing appears very good from what I can tell.

The fact is that all these 'FREE' hosting sites are being paid for by someone. Businesses can't, and don't, run such sites as non-profits. With no income they would in fact be loss-making.

So the money can be recouped by
    1. Users paying a fee periodically and/or
    2. Advertising revenue. (and we all so how horrible and near-unusable photobucket became with all those ads! )

Like everything it's a matter of priorities.

I can't handle too many monthly 'subscriptions' which is why. for example, I use a stand-alone version of photoshop elements, rather than subscribing to Adobe online.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark I am thinking that it would be wise to have my best photos stored on Smug Mug and or for sale in the future.
    Many photos on my larger main page on Flickr are experimental with legacy glass that interest me however they are not always going to appeal to a broader audience so there is a need to sort out the more appealing photos for a Smug Mug page.

cheers Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it looks that the change will not affect to the majority. I don't have any issues so far, and I hope it remains without them.
    Regards.
    J. Arguello.

Constructive Criticism (CC) is alsways welcome.
    Photography gear: Nikon D7000; Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8; Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6; Tamron A17 70-300mm f/4 - 5.6; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8; Yongnuo 35mm f/2; Neewer 85mm f/1.8; Nikon AW100 ;Canon EOS 300; Tamron 28-105mm; Canon 75-300mm.
    Photo Editing: Nikon Capture NX-D , GIMP ;

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arguelloflores/

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So long as the subscription doesn't go through the roof

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12