14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps someone would be kind enough to refresh my memory. I am vaguely aware of those two as file hosting sites but don't remember anything about them, good or bad. I know that some picture-hosting sites are well-regarded and some are terrible: which category do these two fall into?

(Asking purely out of idle curiosity; I've never used a picture-sharing site as I've had my own hosting for more than 20 years.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Perhaps someone would be kind enough to refresh my memory. I am vaguely aware of those two as file hosting sites but don't remember anything about them, good or bad. I know that some picture-hosting sites are well-regarded and some are terrible: which category do these two fall into?

(Asking purely out of idle curiosity; I've never used a picture-sharing site as I've had my own hosting for more than 20 years.)
    I have accounts with both, one you pay for and get help with in minutes of asking for support that SmugMug

Then there is the freebie flicka, they used to have a payed for Account also not sure if it's still available.
    flicka gets the thumbs down from me, I have hundreds of smaller sized photos in my first Account opened in 2006 they have locked me out of it.
    Its still there though.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta for this sad news, M A.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reads pretty positive, I hope it is!

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16888876

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have now received a email from flickr That flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug and about your choice of what you want to do.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting news. One day all businesses will be owned by just a few large conglomerates - actually that's probably almost the case already.

I have a Flickr account but really don't post a huge amount on them nowadays. I did look at Smug Mug just a couple of months ago as a photographer friend of my son uses it. I haven't received an email from Flickr yet.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit surprised by how underwhelmed everyone is about this 'sale'.

Now Flickr has been bought out, the options are to delete your Flickr account or have it all shifted to SmugMug.
    SmugMug is not a free service. Basic is $5 a month, whereas Flickr was free. It does give premium service according to reviews.

I have over a thousand photos on Flickr that I will have to download or lose all my photos. (My storage device crashed and they are all that's left from 2014 - 1017). So I am very grateful for Flickr for that reason alone.

My Flickr account is a record of the images I have shared in forums like this one. One image a week for most weeks. (most of them were taken for the weekly challenges).
    There will be a great voids left in Ausphotography when people don't pay there SmugMug accounts.

Anyway I would like to hear what services people prefer?
    https://beebom.com/flickr-alternatives/
    Last edited by JoPho; 25-04-2018 at 10:20am.
    Been here, not done that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of FUD being sprouted all over internet with the Flickr buyout by Smugmug, I think its great news!
    Flickr accounts will stay the same for the foreseeable future, nothing bad is going to happen to Flickr by the new owners. They didn't buy it to trash it.

Yahoo has let it languish for years, its exciting that Smugmug has bought it, I couldn't think of a better company to take it over!
    Last edited by Bear Dale; 25-04-2018 at 10:37am.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoPho View Post
    I am a bit surprised by how underwhelmed everyone is about this 'sale'.

Now Flickr has been bought out, the options are to delete your Flickr account or have it all shifted to SmugMug.
    SmugMug is not a free service. Basic is $5 a month, whereas Flickr was free. It does give premium service according to reviews.

I have over a thousand photos on Flickr that I will have to download or lose all my photos. (My storage device crashed and they are all that's left from 2014 - 1017). So I am very grateful for Flickr for that reason alone.

My Flickr account is a record of the images I have shared in forums like this one. One image a week for most weeks. (most of them were taken for the weekly challenges).
    There will be a great voids left in Ausphotography when people don't pay there SmugMug accounts.

Anyway I would like to hear what services people prefer?
    https://beebom.com/flickr-alternatives/

I reckon you have read that wrong Jo.

Please read ALL the FAQ on this link https://www.smugmug.com/together/faq

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MaryAnne,
    Thank you for that useful link.
    I looked up SmugMug's pricing and it's not free, so I am surprised that a service that has taken over Flickr, charges all its customers but will not charge Flickr users???
    If I were a Smug Mug user I'd be wondering why FLickr folks get the service for free.

The FAQ quote
    Will Flickr continue to offer a free version? Will Flickr’s price change?
    Absolutely. Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time. We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a SmugMug Account and don't mind paying for something better and its also Unlimited plus the more expensive plans you can sell your images.

flickr free accounts only give you 1TB and that OK for some..

I also have a free flicka account which I find useful at times like for the weekly challenge and when showing Members screen shots of how to do things.
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 25-04-2018 at 2:58pm. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoPho View Post
    MaryAnne,
    Thank you for that useful link.
    I looked up SmugMug's pricing and it's not free, so I am surprised that a service that has taken over Flickr, charges all its customers but will not charge Flickr users???
    If I were a Smug Mug user I'd be wondering why FLickr folks get the service for free.

The FAQ quote
    [FONT="]Will Flickr continue to offer a free version? Will Flickr’s price change?[/FONT]
    Absolutely. Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time. We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.

Honestly, what we pay for camera bodies and lenses. What does $40 or whatever dollars a year really matter to host a 1TB of photos in the clouds?

The Smugmug team are great people, I had an account for 6 years. I've been with Flickr for nearly 10 and had a Pro account for 4. Honestly, as I said above I am over the moon that a 'photography' company of the magnitude of Smugmug has bought it off Yahoo who just didn't have any ideas in the whole time they owned Flickr to improve it.
    Last edited by Bear Dale; 25-04-2018 at 2:47pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to read you are happy.
    I am going to check out Google images... lower quality but all I am interested in is sharing a 1200 x whatever image once a week.
    Last edited by JoPho; 25-04-2018 at 3:16pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a good read of Smugmugs FAQ -

https://www.smugmug.com/together/faq

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read about the first 10 "HAQs" and found that they said "nothing much",
    and guessed the rest had "NTA".

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spin doctors with gyrating hips

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been denied access to my original Flickr page today. Shame as there was a lot of albums re-searching lenses over the years so I will not be able to recover that information now though I notice my photos on Ausphotography forum still show from this page. Fortunately I had a second page set up for such an eventuality as I guess with complex systems things can and will go wrong.
    If you have photos you want to save or access I would think about recovering them now on Flickr I had thought I had to the 25th of May.

Loves The Wildlife.
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    I have been denied access to my original Flickr page today. Shame as there was a lot of albums re-searching lenses over the years so I will not be able to recover that information now though I notice my photos on Ausphotography forum still show from this page. Fortunately I had a second page set up for such an eventuality as I guess with complex systems things can and will go wrong.
    If you have photos you want to save or access I would think about recovering them now on Flickr I had thought I had to the 25th of May.
    Sorry to read that Nick, have you tried clicking on one of your photos here on AP and on the Page Not Found where it states if you think there is a problem with flickr let us know, click on that link and let them know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    You haven't lost them, they are just having some server trouble today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast