User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17

Thread: Adobe Systems posts massive quarterly loss : USD $2 Billion

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adobe Systems posts massive quarterly loss : USD $2 Billion

Adobe Systems have announced that they expect a $2Billion (US) loss for the quarter ended 31st March 2018.

Adobe's stock price has plummeted on the announcement. Stock price: As at 24th March 2018 ADBE (NASDAQ) USD216.08. Just after the announcement was made to the New York Stock exchange the share price plummeted to USD104.27 and continues to drop.

Adobe's Shantanu Narayen (CEO, President, Chairperson) has stated in a media release that they believe the monthly payment business model has not been as successful as they had hoped. Increased piracy of their premium products continues to impact income streams. In particular Adobe Photoshop CC and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC are frequently pirated.

Shantanu Narayen has also stated that recently Adobe contracted Microsoft and Apple to obtain statistics on the number of computers that had a copy of Adobe Photoshop CC installed on them. The outcome reports that there are nearly 1 billion computers running Adobe Photoshop CC. However there are just over 250 million registered and paying Adobe Photoshop CC users. The other almost 750 million copies are pirated. Adobe has stated that it will act against all these pirated installations immediately.

Adobe have implemented an additional server based software check this morning. This software check will automatically occur via the AdobeUdpateService that runs on start-up of your computer. If you are running a pirated copy of Photoshop or Lightroom, you will receive a pop-up message on your computer advising that your copy is pirated and the software will then be locked. You will then be presented with a screen to purchase a licence for the pirated software. You will need to purchase a valid licence (at a price of USD$500) within 7 (seven) days of the pop-up message appearing. Impacted users will also be required to then sign up to a monthly plan from 1st June 2018.

Adobe's, Anti Piracy Enforcement spokesperson, says that Adobe takes software piracy seriously, and now as it is impacting their business operations to the extent of reporting the loss to the stock exchange, Adobe has stated it will act decisively and swiftly against those who have pirated copy of their software. Anyone who ignores the piracy pop-up message could ultimately see Adobe deleting any and all PSD, ACR files along with any Lightroom catalogs on a computer that continues to run a pirated copy of Adobe software. Adobe Systems reserves the right to take further legal action against anyone who continues to use Adobe products from non-legitimate sources.

Adobe Systems advise they will be reviewing all monthly payments for their entire product catalog, and that the expectation is that price rises will be announced soon. Most monthly payments will increase by around 40% effective 1st May 2018. If you have an existing payment plan with Adobe, you will receive an email by the 15th April 2018 advising your new monthly fee.

Adobe Systems is one of the world leaders in software development. Adobe will protect its intellectual Property. Adobe employs thousands of people worldwide and as such, it will take all necessary action to return to profitability. Retrenchments are not part of the current plan to return to profit. Adobe's focus will be ensuring the company received due payments for all software, worldwide.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting news Rick that is such a remarkable level of piracy involved and obviously not sustainable, there may be a lot of edited photos withdrawn from the public domain.
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 01-04-2018 at 8:36am.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1: Adobe introduces a horribly unpopular software rental scheme
    2: Customers desert the product in droves. Many of them pirate it because they refuse to pay Adobe money every month.
    3: Adobe squeals about losing money, increases rents.
    4: More customers desert.
    5: Adobe loses even more money, increases prices again.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Same here! I got the CS2 free version
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the date today?
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    What the date today?
    Easter Sunday.. happy Easter!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up, Rick.

I have 2x paid for licences for each of CS5 and CS6.

Adobe's "support" for these products has already ensured that I will never buy another Adobe product.

The proposed 40% rental increase will drive yet more people to alternative products.

My real needs are 1) a decent editing program; and 2) a decent and reliable DAMS program.

Capture One Pro will do for the first, and something as simple as PIE may well work for the second.

About $500 for both, and keep the 4 copies of PS that I already own outright for when I need them.

And Adobe wonders why they are losing customers and money ...

- - - Updated - - -

Ahem ...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-since-2009/#0

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't I also read that as part of the licence agreement users will only be allowed to print their images on Foolscap paper.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmcs View Post
    Didn't I also read that as part of the licence agreement users will only be allowed to print their images on Foolscap paper.
    And probably only on a specific date in early April!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, nice one

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well it is now after midday, so I can say that at least we fooled a few.

Happy Easter... and Happy April Fool's day everyone...Yes this announcement from 'Adobe' is fake.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A worse fate would be having to do up your shoelaces!

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick Adobe may be asking you to join their board shortly, nicely done, and may Mount Thurstmore in Townsville become a reality

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Rick - you had me going for a while there until I visited the main news channels and could not find any reports on this. Good one!

Cheers

Dennis
    Dennis

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick. Did you ever get to sell AP after you advertised it a few April Fools days back

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Rick. Did you ever get to sell AP after you advertised it a few April Fools days back
    nah..hehe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny because it could be true In a sad sort of way.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha you had me going for a bit there... as it was already way past 1st Apr by time time I read this, and April fools jokes were off my radar... Lucky for me I read the entire thread...

- - - Updated - - -

even everyone's posts with hints before you disclaimed the post didn't tip me off
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."