Thread: Cropping in Faststone

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Darryl, just getting away from the cropping thing for a minute...I use 'faststone' to preview all my images after moving them from my camera to PC. It's very quick and so easy. While looking through and deleting (all) the disasters I can press 'C' to copy to a folder of choice (possible keepers) or 'M' to move that image and it saves on doubling up/cluttering hard drives. I can also press 'E' if I get all excited about an image and it'll open/start the file in PS for me.

A very handy allround viewer in my humble opinion.

Thanks @ameerat42 for mentioning/suggesting it a few years ago -

I agree. In Linux I use DigiKam. I used to use DPP in Windows, but Fastone is a great, possibly better, alternative.

I have to say, my ability to throw away images and generally cull what keep from a session, is very limited. I am a hoarder at heart. I need to practice tidyness on my HD, but the cheapness of storage actually discourages that.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Gazz. I use it as my main viewer and I still like the way it "sharpens" using the USM mode. Also using the contrast slider in the "Adjust Colour" tab adds just the right amount of richness to image colours. Let's face it. I'm FSV fan boy.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Arthur, as a matter of logic, versioning should always work from past to present.

Totally agree! .. already said that(to a degree .. maybe a little cryptic) .. "I do understand your point of view" .. etc.

BUT! .. the way I use FSV.. more so as a viewer and partial 'editor' .. in fact not really an editor so much .. just a quick save as tool for me.

eg. I have an image and want to save it to various 'formats'.
    I may crop it to pano and save to a 4K resolution.
    I do that, save as(as that's the only option) .. and I'm done.
    I don't want to touch that pano 4K version of the image again. Saved to a location, and now I may want a new web version of that same image.
    I'm back at the original image(not the 4K cropped version).. not sure if I want to crop it for the web, not sure exactly what size I want it.

I really only ever do this with jpgs, I do view raw files with FSV, and that's because it's as fast as Nikon's (good) software on NEF files. Never edited, or touched a raw file in FSV(it's really not good at it).

One thing we do know about jpg files is that the more times you resave a jpg file the more quality you lose(even just a resave at the same quality level).
    Knowing this, FSV's method of save as makes more sense than the traditional 'past to present' version of 'versioning' ..

That is, you we a jpg(file A) and make a new version(file B), once saved it makes much more sense to then edit File A again and save it as a new file, than to re edit file B(an already re saved jpg!!) as a new version.
    We know if you do that enough times, File A's offshoot versions should have lost less quality than the continual re saving of the most recent version of the file.

word docs and spreadsheets don't lose quality on continued re-saving .. so it makes sense to past to present versioning .. not so much a good idea to do the same with a jpg!

And remember .. you don't actually edit the original jpg file even tho FSV force you back to it after a save as.
    Remembering it only ever does a save as and not a save .. done for a reason, and warns you about saving over the original file(unless that setting is changed) .. so it's does guide you towards a correct direction.

If you end up with 26 new versions of that original file, it's always best to have ended up at that 26th and final file having come directly from File A, rather than from file B->file C->file D .. etc(all having been saved from offshoot jpg files).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12