Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Attaching a camera strap

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attaching a camera strap

I've attached a fair few camera straps, but until today, I've never done correctly before -

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I hate(violently!) are camera straps.
    They generally do more harm than good(I've found).

So, I got a swivel hook to quickly connect/disconnect the strap from the camera.

The method shown is about the only secure way to attach the supplied camera strap, otherwise you risk it eventually slipping through.
    And that method is more tedious than trying to work out how to operate a Canon camera!

So the easy peasy way to attach strap to camera for those rare situations where I know it'll be handy to use(very very rarely for me) .. is to use these swivel hooks:

Swivel hooks on ebay.

Can't remember the ebayer I used, may or may not have been that one, but the link is for the purpose of illustration as to what I use.
    Very strong metal, clip will not self release, in fact it's a little difficult to release it anyhow, which leaves a bit of headroom/safety that it won't come undone of it's own accord.

I've tried some other types, carabiners, plain old key hooks that have the round shaped hook/latch mechanism, but they don't work well.
    The reason I liked that bag strap swivel design is the swivel design(#1 priority) and the flat wide shaped latch which helps to stabilise the camera on the strap(#2 priority).
    The swivel helps to keep unwanted twisting loads off the strap and makes it much easier to quickly attach the strap and to sling the camera over shoulder(preferred) or neck(if that's a users preference, definitely not mine tho).

The eye that the strap loops onto is abotu 25mm wide, which is just about right(I reckon 20mm would be a better fit). You can get different eye types(eg. I've seen D type eyes too).

I got about 10 of them(makes up 5 straps) .. but only really use 2 straps .. the others I just have as spares for whatever other use may eventuate.

I reckon I've used mine for about the past 8 or so years .. maybe 10-20 times.

ps. reasons I don't use strap: 1/. almost guaranteed on the tripod, it'll hook up on something when I least expect too and cause a fatal incident .. 2/. camera is always to hand to take photos, not over shoulder not ready too.
    only time I've used the strap is when out and about with kids and I need 4 legs and 12 arms .. straps are used to hang kids when I've gotten fed up with their whining and antics!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a set of these from Peak Design, bloody brilliant they are !