User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Tokina announce new 50/1.4 Opera

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tokina announce new 50/1.4 Opera

Tokina has announced a new 50mm /1.4 "Opera" lens. Opera, in Tokina-speak, is equivalent to "L Series" in Canonland or "Art" in Sigmasville. No specs or prices yet, other than the obvious and necessary things in this class like ring USM and weather sealing, and a nice Tokina touch in that the focus ring rotates the way that you expect regardless of whether you use Canon or Nikon.

Traditionally, Tokina lenses are pretty good optically, close to but not quite matching L Series or Art standards, a bit low-spec (AF motors are less likely to be ring USM for example), very reasonably priced, and built like tanks. Traditional Tokina lenses are larger and quite a lot heavier than most other-brand products, but reassuringly solid with lots of metal where another brand might settle for plastic. I like them.

Will their new Opera series continue the traditions? Pictures of the Tokina 50/1.4 suggest that it will be quite large as 50mm f/1.4 primes go, and I'll eat my boots if it isn't solidly engineered and rather heavy. It remains to be seen how it goes optically. Pretty good is my guess, but we will have to wait and see. If you hold me down and stick bamboo under my toenails until I tell you my guess, I'll say it will cost two-thirds as much as the (as-yet unreleased) Canon 50/1.4L or the Sigma 50/1.4 Art, weigh 50% more than it might do (not that the Sigma can be classified as anything other obese), and be very nearly as good optically. Might be worth a look.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly co-designed with Pentax, at least according to this source:
    https://pentaxrumors.com/2018/03/14/...t-version/amp/
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense, Swifty.

Tokina and Pentax have been co-designing and cross-badging (and for all I know cross-dressing) for years. They both used to be owned by the same parent company. (Maybe they still are.) My much-loved little Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom is apparently a re-work of a long-forgotten Pentax film lens, and my old 35mm Tokina macro was certainly sold under both brands.