User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Thought I Knew How To Do This...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Thought I Knew How To Do This...

How do you "Save" emails from the Yahoo Mail interface as .eml files, both singly
    and in batches/bulk.

Searching so far has indicated you no longer can If that's right, I must say,
    give me chaos any day.

If there's no other way than by using Outlook, please get it over with fast.
    But I'm hoping for a sneaky (and elegant) back-door method.

-- And as I've recently taken to Gmail, I'm looking into how to do it there as well.
    Ta.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 10-03-2018 at 7:41pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gmail spies on you and exploits you, but otherwise provides a generally decent service.

Yahoo spies on you and exploits you, but otherwise provides a generally dreadful service.

You can access Gmail with any standard email client, such as Thunderbird or Incredimail, and most of the more popular non-standard ones, such as Outlook.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Gmail spies on you and exploits you, but otherwise provides a generally decent service.

Yahoo spies on you and exploits you, but otherwise provides a generally dreadful service.

You can access Gmail with any standard email client, such as Thunderbird or Incredimail, and most of the more popular non-standard ones, such as Outlook.
    Ta, Tannin. I'll take that as meaning I...---G-A-A-AHHH!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what you mean there, AM, but to clarify my point, with Gmail you can use any normal email client (such as Thunderbird and also probably Outlook - Outlook is weird but it's so common that Google has no doubt worked around its idiosyncracies). This means that you can save any message in the format of your choice. Email clients are designed from the ground up to handle email, and tend to be pretty good at it. Using a web browser for email usually works OK for basic tasks, but you nearly always get better performance from a made-for-purpose tool than you do from a one-size-fits-all one. Consider, for example, the difference between a shifting spanner and the correct size ring spanner.

As a matter of detail, Yahoo changed their interface a year or so ago in an attempt to lock out email clients. Their purpose was just what you'd expect from those fools: they wanted to force customers to use a web browser and see lots of advertising. The result - also just as you'd expect - is that half their their few remaining users have got annoyed enough to leave (it seems that you are yet another one), and now Yahoo serves fewer ads than ever. Yahoo management has an interesting way of trying to run a business which essentially amounts to the motto "when you are in a hole, buy a bigger shovel".

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I understood. Well, at least I don't get any ads, except when I exit to the Y7 Hone page
    and get the drivel they call "News".

Well, a bit of culling may be in order, and then... TBA when I figger it out. I might have to succumb
    to using an email client after all.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 11-03-2018 at 12:19am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree that using an independent email client is the way to go. The interfaces of Gmail and others are irritating, whereas Thunderbird just works. Give it a go, you won't look back.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, Bob - and Tannin again. Looks like I'll affta!

Just one Q: Does it download all "cloud" emails to the HDD, or can you be selective?

(Then, expect to hear the announcement that, "Thunderbird is (the) go!...")

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Ta, Bob - and Tannin again. Looks like I'll affta!

Just one Q: Does it download all "cloud" emails to the HDD, or can you be selective?

(Then, expect to hear the announcement that, "Thunderbird is (the) go!...")

I'm no expert, so maybe this link might help (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ynchronization)

I always download everything to my HD - and all messages are stored in perpetuity to be held and used in evidence against you. I only delete total crap, and I have a very high crap tolerance! 8*)

I just know that Thunderbird has been a very useful, easy to use program for a long time, and it's not Microsoft which is a bonus, and the price is right!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta. This bit...
    "Synchronization

To understand message synchronization, consider the following scenarios:

A message is downloaded to Thunderbird and deleted in Thunderbird. (The message must be deleted from both the local machine and the email server.)

A message is downloaded to Thunderbird and later deleted by a web-based client (such as Yahoo Mail or Gmail). (The message must be deleted from the Thunderbird message repository.)

A draft message is composed and saved (but not sent) in Thunderbird. (The draft must be copied from the Thunderbird message repository to the email server.) "

Indicates the POP messages are only copied, not moved.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 11-03-2018 at 2:24pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are three main email protocols. SMTP is always used for sending. You can use either POP or IMAP to receive messages. All proper email servers and all proper email clients can work using either POP or IMAP.

POP (Post Office Protocol) works just like a post office box. The server collects messages and moves them into your box. After that, it is up to you to keep them (on your own machine) or delete them as you wish.

With IMAP, the messages are stored on the server in California (or wherever). You just get copies of them.

IMAP has the advantage that you can easily use multiple different machines to access your email. POP has the advantage that it is much simpler and you have personal control over your own data.

Yes, it is possible to merely copy (rather than move) messages using POP. In general, it's not a terribly good idea. If you need to do this, you may well be better off using IMAP (which is designed for multiple clients).

Webmail (e.g., Yahoo, Gmail via your browser) isn't IMAP but it works in a broadly similar way.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, guys...

Thunderbird is gohw!

(But if you delete from Tbird it also deletes from the Gmail inbox. Will have to watch that one)

I have bulk saved emails, but there is no "bulk print" as such. You have to allow each print job
    as it pops up. OK!

So ta lotly to all who twisted my arm.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 11-03-2018 at 4:15pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on Thunderbird...
    So, bulk import/export of messages requires an Add-On for T'bird called
    ImportexportTools from https://freeshell.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

to report: It works

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am, I use POP rather than IMAP.

Map all my devices to the same server. Most are set up never to delete messages from my server(s). My main email client (Outlook) leaves messages on the server for three days. This gives all my other devices to "catch up" with messages they haven't got yet.

All my email addresses eventually end up in my desktop inbox. And eventually they all get deleted from all the email servers, in most cases that happens as soon as they have been forwarded to somewhere else.

Works for me.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. So T'bird is IMAP only? I thought it was POP and IMAP

I have 3 email clients accessed through T'bird.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone else said, almost all email clients/servers use both POP and IMAP.

I prefer POP because mail stays there until deliberately deleted by the desktop client.

With IMAP, deleting something on one device automatically makes it unavailable on any other. Cuts down the work, but means that there is no single, complete copy of all one's mail anywhere, except on someone else's server. I prefer to have that data on my computer rather than someone else's.

Secondly, my contacts database is held in Outlook. I don't want my contacts information available to third parties ...
    Last edited by John King; 18-04-2018 at 6:25pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! Then I must have POP, because my mail stays online even after "imported" into T'bird.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be obvious when you look at your desktop email client settings, mate.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But wait... - There's Less!

...than I thought.

OK, after thinking that I was happily using Thunderbird I found a couple of niggly glitches:
    1) It has not imported the Sent Mail boxes from my Webmail and Yahoo accounts, only from Gmail;
    2) I can't seem to save attachments, even using the "text with attachments" option;
    3) That's all so far

So, I wondered whether Outlook does the same job. - And is that now just called "Mail" in Win 10?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, it seems that this happens with all POP accounts - no import of Sent Mail boxes, only Inbox.
    (Dunno what happened with Gmail, then???)
    Last edited by ameerat42; 19-04-2018 at 2:34pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for Outlook/Mail .. Mail is the old Outlook Express .. not Outlook(as in the atrocious email client in the Office suite.

With T'bird, if you delete an email in one of your email accounts, it doesn't delete it, it send it to the trash/deleted box on that email server.

But there is a setting!
    By default, it's set to send emails to the trash/deleted box on the server.
    There is a tickmark in one of the settings to not keep copies on the server.

I don't have Yahoo, but I have a Gmail and a Hotmail accounts(for junk emails).

Depending on how you setup T'bird interface, you should have a 'folder pane' on the LHS of the main window. If not, then View->Layout and look for the tickmark on Folder Pane.
    Once you have all your mail servers setup, they will all be listed in the order you added them.
    For each one, the folders you've set up are 'links' to the same folders for each mail account.

That is, if you open the Trash foler(on the LHS folder Pane) it will open all the trash/bin/deleted folders for each email account in a list.

if you delete or empty the trash, only then do you delete them from the server and the local copy too.

Tip1: use the calendar. Best calendar client by two country miles. Can be a bit tricky to setup Google Calendar in the beginning, but once you've worked it out, it's integration is seamless.
    back in the day, I once tried to use Microsoft's version of an online calendar, and .. well it lasted about 5 mins before I almost threw the PC in the recycling!!
    I'm a heavy user of the Calendar feature.

Tip1: for backups, don't use T'bird directly, get a small program called MzBackup and back it up like that. It will create monster sized backup files, depending on your saved/archived email count(and attachements), but far easier to restore program and then to backup emails.
    I use it to save both T'bird and FF user settings.
    I used to use T'brids backup system, but it annihilated some of my emails, with their PDF attachments relating to work invoices, and on restoration, couldn't read any of the invoices .. at tax time!
    No longer trust it, so I've used Mozbackup for about 10 odd years now.

I'm pretty sure hotmail is POP, not IMAP(can't remember now) .. and it has access to sent emails .. for me going back to 3/10/2007!
    Not sure why it isn't working for 'ya on webmail and yahoo .. maybe it takes a while to populate the list.

As for attachments, for pdf attachments, it should give you three options in the body of the email containing the pdf, that is preview/open/save.
    I don't save, on the whole, I save the entire email into a dedicated folder.
    The pdf is then saved too .. and saved/archived/backed up when I run Mozbackup(hence why the T'bird Mozbackup files are giga-huge!)

If you save the attachment, and don't delete the email and or attachment, you then have two copies of that attachment on the hard drive.
    So if you save the attachment, get into the habit of deleting the email ... hence why I don't save the attachment as a separate file.

For image attachments, I may save the attachment, but it's usually for a temporary purpose, or I know if it's for keeps, then save the attachment and remove it from the email, or delete the email/attachment.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short answer: Ta a lot. Now looking into what you said...

Background: This all started because Optus Webmail gave me occasional mail quota warnings, and some few recently.

No problem with Gmail, and Yahoo Mail, except the latter is now part of B-Oath! and users are subject to
    some draconian privacy incursions (see other thread). So I might do all my squaring and plotting with Gmail now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast