Thread: OK, So How Do You Actually...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, So How Do You Actually...

...Clear History when you CLOSE CHROME?

REAL solutions would be much appreciated, NOT the drivel you find on-line.

(I thought I had done this the other day, only to find tonight I still had that History.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screenshot-(98).png

- - - Updated - - -

You do it there or in chrome?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I follered the advice from pundits and did - tried to do - it in Chrome

Ta lotly for this novel approach. I will give it a whirl.

- - - Updated - - -

Er..., just one thing. Where did that dialog window come from?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I follered the advice from pundits and did - tried to do - it in Chrome

Ta lotly for this novel approach. I will give it a whirl.

- - - Updated - - -

Er..., just one thing. Where did that dialog window come from?
    Find the 'internet options' in your 'control panel'.

I'm not saying that's going to work, I've never tried, but looks like a good place to start playing. Cheers.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found them, but I can't change them from "Internet Explorer" - which I don't even use.

My current workaround is to either "not use Chrome" (needs a lot of polishing up),
    or clear History manually.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait! Found it (using Search), but it appears to be global, and I just want to do it for Chrome, because
    I can set it easily in FFox.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox rules!(mostly, but not 100% .. maybe 99% .. or something like that) .. I dunno .. just rambling .. or something

.. anyhow!

My current workaround is to either "not use Chrome" (needs a lot of polishing up),
    or clear History manually.

Clunky way to do it ... easier way to do it is:

Easy-ish method #2
    Depending on number of users, default/guest, or just your own history in focus here:

But for your own user account in Windows, you can easily make a shortcut to a particular folder.
    Folder is:
    C:/Users/<your user name>/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/cache.

ps. I have no idea how this works for default/guest type user situations, as I only have me on my PC .. but I'd reckon it'd be similarly foldered. look for cache folders in Google/Chrome Appdata directories.

In there is all your 'history' .. (and maybe more, but haven't delved that deeply into it).
    Clear the contents of that folder, history is cleared.
    Make a shortcut to that folder, open it, Ctrl-A to select all contents, Shift-Del to remove it with extreme predjudice!

That's a whole lotta less steps than delving into settings, and button pushing acrobatics.

Easier method #1
    An even easier way to clear history is to set Chrome to always open in stealth mode .. or whatever it calls do not remember my steps operation.(actualy, just checked .. it's called 'incognito'
    If you have a shortcut to Chrome(desktop or quick access bar) rightclick Chrome icon and select incognito mode when you open 'er up.
    It doesn't remember any history nor nuffin else .. so the easier way to remove history is to not build up a history.

pps. I hate Chrome. I hate it on the phone, I detest it on the PC.
    But to fully access my NAS's ability, the imbeciles at QNAP only made some tools work fully in Chrome! (only the archangel of stupidity knows why they did that .. but the rest of the NAS works pretty much as perfectly as I wanted it too).

So thems' the breaks! .. I gotta force myself to use Chrome on the PC sometimes.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a two-step process:

1: Uninstall Chrome.
    2: install a proper browser that doesn't spy on you: Vivaldi, Opera, Firefox, Seamonkey, PaleMoon - it's not as if there aren't plenty to choose from.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Find the 'internet options' in your 'control panel'.

I'm not saying that's going to work, I've never tried, but looks like a good place to start playing. Cheers.
    That is a deliberate trick played on you by Microsoft. It dates from the time when they were still trying to pretend that Internet Explorer was the Internet. No, I'm not joking or being cynical, that really is why "Internet Options" in the Control Panel is nothing of the kind, it's just a sort of half-broken shortcut to Internet explorer. Why did they do it that insane way? It was originally part of their attempt to escape prosecution for illegal monopoly practices by pretending that Internet Explorer was "an integral part of Windows", which (then and now) was a transparently obvious lie. That would have been be around about 1996, give or take. Sadly, their less-than-truthful habits have not changed.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, guys... AK and Tannin. I agree 100%. I only used it (a little bit recently) for some media
    casting -- itself a questionable quause I use FFox MOTT, and when it's slack it desn't
    mind being called Firedog! I will continue to manually clear Chrome History when the mania takes
    me, and completely ignore it MOTT.

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you just use an incognito mode in Chrome?
    From my understanding, that does not save history, or cookies etc.
    Mark

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that's right, Mark. The point seems to be that you can't set it in any
    "normal" way.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In descending order, my least favourite hardware/software suppliers are:

Apple (for grossly unethical, if not outright criminal, manufacturing practices; slow, expensive products that are all proprietary as hell in some way; cheap components; etc, etc, etc)

Google (for both Android and Chrome, as well as stupid phones without external storage - no microSD card)

Adobe (for being grasping and rapacious in their support of their products - or lack thereof! And for general incompetence in programming)

Microsoft (bloatware; lousy programming practices; pricing and licensing practices; did I mention bloatware?)

I'm sure that others can add to this list ...

I use Firefox on everything.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, JK. I guess the Ole Fox is not such a dog by reputation after all

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    download CCleaner..... press clean.... easy
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did it recently, but fanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    In descending order, my least favourite hardware/software suppliers are:

Apple (for grossly unethical, if not outright criminal, manufacturing practices; slow, expensive products that are all proprietary as hell in some way; cheap components; etc, etc, etc)

Google (for both Android and Chrome, as well as stupid phones without external storage - no microSD card)

Adobe (for being grasping and rapacious in their support of their products - or lack thereof! And for general incompetence in programming)

Microsoft (bloatware; lousy programming practices; pricing and licensing practices; did I mention bloatware?)

I'm sure that others can add to this list ...
    Not sure that we could, John. You have nailed the worst of them first go.

Firefox is on its last legs now. It's still been good to use thanks to Firefox ESR, which remains compatible with the essential Classic Theme Restorer (which fixes their idiotic fixation of turning a once-excellent browser into a pointless clone of Chrome) but that will run out of support very soon, at which time it's goodbye Firefox.

As for a list of the very, very best, I came up with:

1: Borland

... and couldn't think of a #2.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox is only almost dead on Vista/XP and prior. Works very well on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Even if it only has 8 GB to play in.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... I use FFox MOTT, and when it's slack it desn't
    mind being called Firedog! I will continue to manually clear Chrome History when the mania takes
    me, and completely ignore it MOTT.
    Ditto!
    I've had some occasions where Firedog would take up to 30sec between each key press to register that key press!
    Not on all pages/sites tho, so it may have been an issue with the way some pages have been coded too.
    Tried in Chrome and Edge and while still slow on that same site/page ... at least they were a bit more responsive.

So I went looking at reasons why, checked extensions etc, etc.
    Found that unchecking GPU acceleration feature helped a bit .. lot!
    Go to Options scroll down to Performance.
    I've unchecked the use recommended performance mark, set process limit to 1(but may vary that a little as I try different settings), and unticked hardware acceleration(the GPU assistance thing).

AP has mostly been fine when I visit and type replies, but the other site I regularly visit is where I get the 30sec delay with each keyboard stroke! .. at least that's now a thing of the past.

OH! and if you want to check how Firefox is running with some of those settings fiddled with .. before you fiddle, check task manager in the processes tab to see how many threads Firefox uses.
    Pretty sure you'll see it has 5 threads running with the 'use recommended settings' tick mark enabled, and process limit set to 4.
    If you set set the performance level to it's minimum(eg 1 process limit) .. you may still see in Task Manager that firefox still uses 4 processes!
    So setting performance restrictions manually(ie. forcing it to a limit) it may ignore that limit and do it's own thing anyhow!

ps. those settigns are s'posed to improve multiple tabbed browsing performance.
    Of recent times, I reckon I regularly have 10 tabs open in one go, and switching between them, eg. sometimes to compare prices/info/data/specs .. or whatever.
    I've yet to notice any slow down using the minimum performance settings with (say) 10 or so tabs open in one go.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TA, AK. At this time FFox is performing admirably. - Fleet of foot, you might say.
    However, I will store these things away in the cargo hold for future rough sailing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have up to 12 FF windows open at any given time (usually about 8), with up to a dozen tabs in each window.

It runs like a cheetah, even on my XP Pro workstation (32 bit, 4 GB ram). Slows down a bit on that PC if I also run Bridge, Photoshop (Outlook is always open).

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using FF for years with no hassles at all. Can have multiple windows with multiple tabs in each running with no problem. I have 9 extensions and only 3 plug-ins running. Auto updates runs and at present I’m on V 58.0.2 Therein lyes/lays (whatever) my only beef. They update all the time with no real improvement in many instances. Move buttons around, change the look of things when it was all good six versions prior.
    I use an HP probook with win 7 pro.
    Absolutely refuse to use chrome or Explorer.
    I really hope you guys are wrong regarding FF reaching the end of its tether.
    Geoff Portbury owns,

EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast