Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Nice one!

Square-tailed Kite. You don't see them too often.

Note the white head, very long tail. very large wings relative to body size, and the distinctive scruffy look. Squaries aren't always scruffy, but when it comes to dressing badly, they are the champions!
    HI. Lovely photo and you have answered the question I have asked many times.

I live in Emu Heights on the escarpment of the Blue Mountains and every few weeks or so we see this bird flying around, or I should say gliding around. Always around 200-300 foot (at a guess) off the ground over the grass padocks at the base of the mountains, just near the Nepean River. Obviously hunting for food, rabbits or rodents.

We always thought it was an Eagle but although it is quite big and looks strong, it didn't seem quite large enough to be an Eagle and a friend said it was a Kestrel, but they are smaller and I don't think you get them around here.

I think that you have pinpointed the bird that has puzzled us for ages. Thank you, I can now look for further information and hopefully confirm what it is.

But yeh, I love the photo.
    Last edited by Snooks; 25-09-2018 at 12:33am.
    I use a Nikon D200 and a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens . I do most of my editing in Gimp 2.10

My friends refer to me as "Snooks"