User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  48
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Thread: Advice on a compact travel camera

  1. #41
    Member Colin B's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Mar 2018
    Location
    Hamersley
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Much better IMO.

    I would never buy a camera without some kind of VF.
    In fact, I upgraded my E-510 to an E-30 almost completely because of the 1:1 100% OVF of the latter.


    Amen to that sentiment. I have just bought a Nikon B700 for a travel camera because I am over carting around a heavy SLR plus a bag of lenses. The Nikon is heavier than the Fuji it replaced but still light enough to hang around my neck for extended periods and it really can handle almost every situation I am likely to come across. I particularly like the 60x zoom (so long as I can find a suitable post or wall to lean against.)

    One final thought - travel from Australia is expensive and the most important thing is to enjoy the experience yourself - not see everything through a viewfinder.

  2. #42
    Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Bensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Jan 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all your help and comments everyone!!!

    Picked up the Olympus yesterday, and I am certainly not disappointed!

    Going to take a little while to adjust to the new layouts for the menus, but a little practice and RTMing should solve all

    The body itself is 365g with the battery inserted, but certainly feels a lot heavier than that, a beautifully well-made camera

    Was going to pick up the 40-150 lens while at the camera store, but unfortunately, they didn't have it in stock but have ordered it online and it should be here next week sometime.

    Looking forward to giving it a try over the next few days, managed to get away up the river, so perhaps some landscape photos are in order

    _DSC8341 by andrewbensch, on Flickr
    -Andy
    ___________________________


    All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.


  3. #43
    Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Join Date
    17 Jan 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news, Andy.

    Glad you're off to a flying start with it, mate. Always some element of surprise with a completely new item, either pleasant or otherwise!

  4. #44
    Ausphotography Regular Floribunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jan 2010
    Location
    Historic Hahndorf.
    Posts
    4,950
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Andy! Enjoy!
    Some good info on the www if you get stuck with menus, but you will work it all out.
    We are in Melbourne at the moment, I carried mine all day with one lens and never looked for anything more.
    Cheers Lyn.

    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and various lenses.


  5. #45
    Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Join Date
    17 Jan 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post

    I also notice that they have a 70-300 (giving an equivalent of a 140-600mm) would be nice to have an alternative to my birding setup, without all the weight
    The mFTs version is 75-300, effective FL of 150-600mm in 135 format terms.

    Check out Robin Wong's review of this lens here:

    https://robinwong.blogspot.com.au/20...mzuiko-75.html

    It's optically as slow as a dog with three broken legs, but check out the images. It is apparently usable wide open. I don't own it, and have never used or seen one.

  6. #46
    Member Colin B's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Mar 2018
    Location
    Hamersley
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a neat piece of gear and I am sure you will have a lot of fun figuring out its capabilities.

    The best thing about the digital age in my humble opinion is that you can bang away with your new toy, try anything and everything and it isn't costing money to see the results.

  7. #47
    Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Bensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Jan 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Great news, Andy.

    Glad you're off to a flying start with it, mate. Always some element of surprise with a completely new item, either pleasant or otherwise!

    Thanks John, it is certainly going to take some time to get used to compared to the Nikons, but am really enjoying it so far


    Quote Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
    Well done Andy! Enjoy!
    Some good info on the www if you get stuck with menus, but you will work it all out.
    We are in Melbourne at the moment, I carried mine all day with one lens and never looked for anything more.
    Thanks Lyn

    Looking forward to getting the 40-150 next week, will fit the bill nicely for zoos, etc.

    Was really surprised how nice the finish is, it doesn't feel like a $600 camera, but something much more expensive



    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    The mFTs version is 75-300, effective FL of 150-600mm in 135 format terms.

    Check out Robin Wong's review of this lens here:

    https://robinwong.blogspot.com.au/20...mzuiko-75.html

    It's optically as slow as a dog with three broken legs, but check out the images. It is apparently usable wide open. I don't own it, and have never used or seen one.
    Thanks John, those are some pretty sweet photos

    Will see how the finances go, but will probably pick up one within the next two months



    Quote Originally Posted by Colin B View Post
    Looks like a neat piece of gear and I am sure you will have a lot of fun figuring out its capabilities.

    The best thing about the digital age in my humble opinion is that you can bang away with your new toy, try anything and everything and it isn't costing money to see the results.
    Thanks Colin, and spot on

    Lots of different settings and functions to play around with, good thing it doesn't cost per photo

    Managed to fill up the buffer quite quickly several times, 8.5 fps is an amazing frame rate, but think I'll have to invest in a faster SD card to take full advantage of it

  8. #48
    Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Sep 2011
    Location
    Gladstone
    Posts
    14,878
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you'll have fun learning all about your new toy. I too found the controls a little quirky after using a Nikon and am always terrified that little lens cap will be lost. I've also looked at that 75-300 lens and have seen the link posted by John. It certainly looks impressive and sooo much lighter than what I'm using at present for birding. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots with it.
    Glenda



  9. #49
    Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Bensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Jan 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    I'm sure you'll have fun learning all about your new toy. I too found the controls a little quirky after using a Nikon and am always terrified that little lens cap will be lost. I've also looked at that 75-300 lens and have seen the link posted by John. It certainly looks impressive and sooo much lighter than what I'm using at present for birding. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots with it.
    Thanks Glenda

    Am really enjoying playing around with the camera, I can see it quite quickly replacing my DSLR for most things, and perhaps even give it a good run for its money when I get a 75-300

    I know what you mean about that tiny little lens cap might have to see if I can source a replacement, and purchase a couple for when (not if) it happens

    A couple of quick photos from yesterday with the Olympus...

    P3170007-2 by andrewbensch, on Flickr

    P3170015-2 by andrewbensch, on Flickr

    P3170033 by andrewbensch, on Flickr

    P3170035 by andrewbensch, on Flickr

    P3170040 by andrewbensch, on Flickr

    P3170047 by andrewbensch, on Flickr

  10. #50
    Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Join Date
    17 Jan 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the pics, Andy.

    You can buy a self-opening lens cap for the 14-42 EZ.

    Also bear in mind that this has a general reputation as being one of the worst mFTs lenses made by anyone.

    I have it, but am not about to sell my 12-50 macro, 14-54 MkII (FTs) or 12-100 ... .

  11. #51
    Ausphotography Regular Floribunda's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jan 2010
    Location
    Historic Hahndorf.
    Posts
    4,950
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the pics too. I am wondering if one of the first things you noticed was the accuracy of the Oly colour? With my floral photography it still impresses me as to just how accurate the colours are.
    I have the 75-300mm. Use it all the time for birding. It is as slow as a wet week, but that has never worried me for as long as you have plenty of light it gives good results and the cropping factor is tops. On a dull day it stays at home.

  12. #52
    Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Sep 2011
    Location
    Gladstone
    Posts
    14,878
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photos look great Andy.

  13. #53
    Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Bensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Jan 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Love the pics, Andy.

    You can buy a self-opening lens cap for the 14-42 EZ.

    Also bear in mind that this has a general reputation as being one of the worst mFTs lenses made by anyone.

    I have it, but am not about to sell my 12-50 macro, 14-54 MkII (FTs) or 12-100 ... .
    Thanks John

    If this is the worst len made, I am looking forward to seeing the better lenses, as even this lens is enough to impress me

    According to tracking info the 40-150 should be here on Wednesday, so I'm looking forward to playing around with it

    Already have my eye on the 75-300, I'll be in Melbourne June 18-23, so am planning on picking it up from DigiDirect while there ($70 or so cheaper than local)

    But will have to order one of those self opening/closing lens caps, perfect for when not using a CPL



    Quote Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
    Love the pics too. I am wondering if one of the first things you noticed was the accuracy of the Oly colour? With my floral photography it still impresses me as to just how accurate the colours are.
    I have the 75-300mm. Use it all the time for birding. It is as slow as a wet week, but that has never worried me for as long as you have plenty of light it gives good results and the cropping factor is tops. On a dull day it stays at home.
    Thanks Lyn

    Funny you mention it, I didn't notice the colours at first, but it was how the clouds stood out compared to the DSLR that really got me, everything just seems so much more vivid. But comparing the unedited RAW from both the Oly and the Nikon, the Oly does seem to have that little something extra

    Great info on the 75-300, will be the next lens on my list

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    The photos look great Andy.

    Thanks Glenda, greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Bensch; 18-03-2018 at 8:06pm.

  14. #54
    Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Join Date
    17 Jan 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy, if you would like to catch up while you're in town, let me know. I'm retired.

    Olympus seems to have a very special understanding of how to get the colour filter array pretty right for colour accuracy IMO. The CFA doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves ...

  15. #55
    Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Bensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Jan 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Andy, if you would like to catch up while you're in town, let me know. I'm retired.

    Olympus seems to have a very special understanding of how to get the colour filter array pretty right for colour accuracy IMO. The CFA doesn't get anywhere near the attention it deserves ...
    What's the saying about great minds think alike, was just typing a PM to you

  16. #56
    Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Bensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Jan 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just received notification that the 40-150 lens is onboard for delivery today

    Assuming it doesn't end up at the post office for some reason (anything is possible with AusPost...) I'll be able to have a play around this afternoon with it

  17. #57
    Member Colin B's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Mar 2018
    Location
    Hamersley
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lens caps are a pain but my Nikon and its predecessor both had tethers linking the cap to the strap. If the Olympus doesn't have this it should be possible to improvise something?

  18. #58
    Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Bensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Jan 2017
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin B View Post
    Lens caps are a pain but my Nikon and its predecessor both had tethers linking the cap to the strap. If the Olympus doesn't have this it should be possible to improvise something?
    Thanks Colin

    I had thought about tethering the cap to something, but there isn't really anywhere to do so.

    Not a big deal though, as I normally wear a shirt with a top pocket, easy enough to slip the cap in there, I do the same with my Nikon/Sigma lens caps, and have only lost one to date

    I do like the look of the auto cap that John mentioned a little earlier, am going to definitely add that to my list.






    - - - Updated - - -



    The 40-150 arrived a little while ago, certainly a fantastic lens with nice focusing speed

    It's also a 58 diameter thread, so it means that I can use some of the screw on filters from my other lenses


    A real quick and dirty pic snapped with the new lens, nice bokeh

    P3190062 by andrewbensch, on Flickr
    Last edited by Bensch; 19-03-2018 at 4:59pm.

  19. #59
    Loves The Wildlife. Mary Anne's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Southside.
    Posts
    41,665
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking images Andy, and that last one is a beauty too and as you wrote nice bokeh

    I have that 40-150mm lens and have only used it a couple of times.
    May put it on the E-M1 tomorrow and try it out.

    I shoot with Canon and Olympus Cameras.. And My iPhone SE 2020
    And sometimes a Little Old Panasonic DMC-TZ7



Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •