Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: New Computer

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Computer

My PC did its last gasp and died 5 days ago. Power supply and mother board and it was pretty rusty inside the box as well from the salt air, did a sterling job for 7-8 years but was starting to struggle with the D850 files and LR & PS.

New build has an Intel I7-7700 which clocks up to 4.20GHz, 16gb ram, two Samsung 500gb SSD drives plus two Western Digital 4TB mechanical harddrives and a 4gb nVidia graphics card.

What a pleasure using LR and PS now! Boot up time from pressing the on button to being able to use the PC is 26 seconds! The graphics card is fantastic with the two LG 32" monitors and LR is automatically using the ram on the card.

Not sure whether to put two more 8gb sticks of ram in and bring it up t0 32gb? Is that overkill? Would I notice it and would it be even used?

You don't realise just how much there is to put back on a clean install, all those programs that you get used to using. It's taken a few days to get the computer customised to how I like it.

I have LR on the main C: drive (which of course is a SSD) and I read that the LR catalog should be on a second drive for speed. I can put it on the second SSD, but does that sound right? Or do you think LR and the catalogue should be on the same drive?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    My PC did its last gasp and died 5 days ago. Power supply and mother board and it was pretty rusty inside the box as well from the salt air, did a sterling job for 7-8 years but was starting to struggle with the D850 files and LR & PS.

New build has an Intel I7-7700 which clocks up to 4.20GHz, 16gb ram, two Samsung 500gb SSD drives plus two Western Digital 4TB mechanical harddrives and a 4gb nVidia graphics card.

What a pleasure using LR and PS now! Boot up time from pressing the on button to being able to use the PC is 26 seconds! The graphics card is fantastic with the two LG 32" monitors and LR is automatically using the ram on the card.

Not sure whether to put two more 8gb sticks of ram in and bring it up t0 32gb? Is that overkill? Would I notice it and would it be even used?

You don't realise just how much there is to put back on a clean install, all those programs that you get used to using. It's taken a few days to get the computer customised to how I like it.

I have LR on the main C: drive (which of course is a SSD) and I read that the LR catalog should be on a second drive for speed. I can put it on the second SSD, but does that sound right? Or do you think LR and the catalogue should be on the same drive?
    1. Congs
    2. Yep, it would be

Don't forget to keep the C: drive lean - no data (or little).
    CC, Image editing OK.