User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 'frankie' magazine paper stock choice seems odd to me.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'frankie' magazine paper stock choice seems odd to me.

I saw an issue of a magazine called 'frankie' which promotes itself as
    a national bi-monthly based in Australia, aimed at women (and men) looking for a magazine that’s as smart, funny, sarcastic, friendly, cute, rude, arty, curious and caring as they are. We cover design, art, photography, fashion, travel, music, craft, interiors and real-life stories – we aim to surprise and delight readers with every turn of our beautifully matte pages, and have a good old laugh while doing so.
    and that's my "issue" (pun intended) - matte paper? Seems a very odd choice for a magazine that features photography as one of its supposed drawcards.

The magazine I saw had some decent photos in it but in my opinion the life was really drawn out of the photos by the matte appearance.

I'd be interested to hear others opinions on this?

Anyone ever appeared in this mag?

Anyone taken photos specifically for matte prints?

Anyone like matte images?
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a very popular magazine. It is aimed at young females and is a good alternate to the 'pop star', 'teen sex' and 'celebrity' of the many trashy mags these days. I think it being Matt gives it a completely different look and takes it away from the trash, which is mostly glossy.

It seems to work for Frankie that it is a point of difference.

Many medical centres that cater for younger people often have it in their patient lounges. I have looked at it a few times, and I think it works.It stands out from the pack.. even you noticed it... which as a magazine is hard to do these days.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to get my photos printed in matt if possible. If they are too glossy, they pick up and reflect every bit of stray light around, which can detract from the photos. High gloss also shows up any fingerprints from people handling the prints. Not a good look.

I've never seen the magazine, but the matt look probably works well.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ricktas - totally agree - anything that takes young women away from reading that womans day / cleo type junk is good. I see its is one of the very few magazines actually increasing in circulation and quite significantly too. I have no prob with the magazine.
    Really just using that as a starting point for discussion around matte prints.

farmmax - thanks. yep I agree re the high gloss being problematic. I think a 'satin' is about the limit for me though - I've not seen too many images that look special when printed matte.

Ausphotography Regular arophoto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My teenage girls love Frankie- It has an arty edge. Works better than glossy and sharp. Not ideal for all photographs , but works well for the style they re after.
    Anna-Riitta Ovaska

flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/a-rovaska/