User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Competition System Enhancement Request.

Ausphotography Veteran tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competition System Enhancement Request.

@Kym; I've had an idea for an enhancement to the competition system.

This was something that I thought of while voting for the POTY comp.

What I'd like would be for the initial qualifying vote stage is the ability to sort your votes so you can review and tweak your assigned numbers for each entry prior to committing your vote.

Currently, when you click the submit button, it displays the entries in the numeric order you voted, but it is not easy to update if your not happy. While this isn't a huge issue for regular competitions, it becomes a problem with the POTY competition, where you have to vote for 70+ photos... by the time you get to the end, you might find that your run though has put your votes in an order your not quite happy with, which is where my idea comes in handy, so that once the images are sorted by your rating, you can easily change your rating before you commit your vote.

This could either be implemented by a sort button that would sort the entries by your current rating, which you could then use as often as you like until your happy with your rating assignments, or by adding an option to the confirmation page to modify the ratings you've assigned to the entries before you hit the final confirmation button (after which of course, you would no longer be able to modify your ratings)

Regards,
    John
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't follow you, Tandeejay. Isn't the qualifying vote simply a score out of 10 thing? I always just look at the pictures one by one and say "Hmmm, pretty good, 7 out of 10". If I end up with three pictures scoring 10 and none scoring 6, it doesn't matter. Or have I misunderstood the whole way the system works?
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you correctly understand how it works.

When I rate the photos if I like one photo better than another I like to give it a higher rating so that the one I like better has a better chance of getting through to the finals.

My issue is that when you vote for the Photo of the Year, there are 70+ photos (there was 100+ last year, but due to the reduction in the number of comps, there are fewer this year)

so, start off at photo 1 - I give it a 7 out of 10....
    ...and so on,
    ...then when I get up to 65, I gave 65 a 6, because I liked 66 better, so 66 got a 7, but 67 I thought was even better than both 65 and 66, so I gave it an 8... and 68 better still so it got a 9....

now if I was to look at photo 1 again, I find I like 65 a lot better than 1 so now I have a photo I like better with a lower rating.

It is difficult to maintain a consistent rating when the topic is "open" or for the POTY which is effectively "Open" as there are so many different types of photos entered....

Of course there is going to be some doubling up of numbers, but thats Ok, I still want to be able to review my ratings to ensure I'm happy that the one I like best has got my highest rating...

It would just be nice if I had the option to change my ratings to tweak the order before I committed my vote

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're not entirely confident in your judging here. Let me help! Basically everything submitted is a six. If it's really good, give it seven. If dead ordinary give it five. Now you have eight to ten to play with for the occasional brilliant, exceptional better than National Geographic image, and one to four for really bad pictures, photos by people who never said anything nice about your efforts, and images you think might beat your own entry.

Sorted.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, maybe I'm overthinking the voting...

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't cope with judging over 70 images There is not enough time in my life to do it in one sitting, and there is no way of saving the voting to come back to later.

Is it possible when there are large numbers of photos, to only have to pick the 10 images we like best and just vote for those?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    I can't cope with judging over 70 images There is not enough time in my life to do it in one sitting, and there is no way of saving the voting to come back to later.

Is it possible when there are large numbers of photos, to only have to pick the 10 images we like best and just vote for those?
    If you join a photographic club, or enter one of the big competitions, like the Moran Portrait, the judges look at every entry. Even AIPP at state level, every entry is judged and scored. Our system was designed to copy the process used at the pinnacle of photography, as much as we could. And remember that it is probably once a year that you end up having to vote for 70 entries, it is not weekly. The other thing would be that if voting could be done only on a selected number of entries, it would be highly likely that someone's entry would get zero at the end of the voting. I am not sure someone getting a zero score is fair on them, or encourages them to try for a higher score with their next competition. The way it is now, if your entry gets a 5, you can at least work towards getting a 6.. and slowly hoping to get into a final poll, or even win a comp.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    you correctly understand how it works.

When I rate the photos if I like one photo better than another I like to give it a higher rating so that the one I like better has a better chance of getting through to the finals.

My issue is that when you vote for the Photo of the Year, there are 70+ photos (there was 100+ last year, but due to the reduction in the number of comps, there are fewer this year)

so, start off at photo 1 - I give it a 7 out of 10....
    ...and so on,
    ...then when I get up to 65, I gave 65 a 6, because I liked 66 better, so 66 got a 7, but 67 I thought was even better than both 65 and 66, so I gave it an 8... and 68 better still so it got a 9....

now if I was to look at photo 1 again, I find I like 65 a lot better than 1 so now I have a photo I like better with a lower rating.

It is difficult to maintain a consistent rating when the topic is "open" or for the POTY which is effectively "Open" as there are so many different types of photos entered....

Of course there is going to be some doubling up of numbers, but thats Ok, I still want to be able to review my ratings to ensure I'm happy that the one I like best has got my highest rating...

It would just be nice if I had the option to change my ratings to tweak the order before I committed my vote
    So what you want, is after you have given your entries a score out of 10, and click submit, the confirmation screen comes up, where you get to review your votes and submit them. On that confirmation screen you would like the entries sorted based on your voting, so that say the image you gave the highest score to is at the top, and the lowest scored image is at the bottom?

I will leave that one with Kym, at present images are displayed randomly to each member, to stop, eliminate any 'donkey' voting having an impact on the overall result. So each time you look at the entries they are in a completely different order. But Kym may be able to resort them once you have voted and before you confirm, so they are in vote order.

If I am off track with what I think you want here, please add to the thread.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They’re already sorted on the confirmation screen, I’d just like an easy way to change my ratings on the confirmation screen if once sorted, I’m not happy with how I’ve voted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or even a “back” button from the confirmation screen, but when returning to the initial rating screen via the back button, instead of the random order, order by how you rated with the radio buttons populated.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or even a “back” button from the confirmation screen, but when returning to the initial rating screen via the back button, instead of the random order, order by how you rated with the radio buttons populated.
    A 'Return to Vote' remembering the current vote is possible. It would be in vote order.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes please, that sounds like what I’m looking for

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They’re already sorted on the confirmation screen, I’d just like an easy way to change my ratings on the confirmation screen if once sorted, I’m not happy with how I’ve voted.

ah..thanks for clarifying what you are seeking.