Thread: Raw Processing Tutorial

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think my hubby would like me shooting in the RAW lol
    another good tutorial Rick thanks
    Canon 1000D twin lens kit. Lenses( EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ll, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro1:1 with hood, Hoya 55mm UV Filter. Picasa 3
    Debbie: (Photo's help us Remember those we have lost.)

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanny View Post
    I don't think my hubby would like me shooting in the RAW lol
    another good tutorial Rick thanks
    I have a sneaking suspicion, you might be wrong about your hubbie, nanny
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rotfl

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thaks for that Rick .

Have been looking at changing to RAW so now will give it a go.

Derek
    Pentax K-3 and some Sigma lens's

CC always welcome but please ask first.Thank you, Derek

Trust in God,but tie up your Camel.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick
    That was very helpful. I have been shooting in RAW for a little while and use the program you did the tutorial with. Most of the time I would click on the "auto" button because I wasn't sure of some of the slider's function e.g. the Recovery slider. I will try to process my files now manually rather than Auto.

Also, I have noticed that I am unable to view the properties of a file e.g. F Stop, Exposure time etc. unless I shoot jpg files. Is there a way of viewing this data with Raw Files (NEF files on my Nikon)?
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very interested in the RAW side of things, but I just can't seem to find the Camera Raw program in my PSE6.. says its supposed to be there?? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place LOL Which is highly possible I've only had my PSE6 for about 4 months...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm.. never mind.. I found how to open it! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, I am glad I found this web sight, I only joined tonight and I have learnt heaps already. I keep having a go at shooting in Raw but kept going back to Jpeg because I didn't know how to make the adjustments. With your help I can now give it a go.
    Michelle

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tutorial Rick.

I have used the RAW converter with my current JPEG images to test it out and it is fantastic

I will be shooting my next Automotive photoshoot in RAW and will upload the results here once done.

Cheers

Mick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also a RAW convert.
    Once you start shooting in RAW, you cant go back to JPEG...lol
    Canon User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the very nice tutorial rick.. as alwasy

but my question is, from the above tutorial, it seems that the main advantage of raw is you can really do a lot of editing, but can't you also do that on a jpg?

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by draco View Post
    thanks for the very nice tutorial rick.. as alwasy

but my question is, from the above tutorial, it seems that the main advantage of raw is you can really do a lot of editing, but can't you also do that on a jpg?
    yep you can but.... a jpg has already been processed in camera, sharpened/saturation/contrast etc a RAW file is just that RAW you control what adjustment YOU want as well as being able to make exposure adjustments if you got it a little bit wrong.
    thats the short answer its a discussion that will continue for decades

EDIT Oh yeah, and a jpg file is already compressed eg a jpg file might be 2M and a RAW file of the same scene might be 10M thats 8M of detail you can't get back.
    thats a little more of the simple answer...... and yes I shoot both jpg and RAW
    Last edited by dbax; 10-07-2009 at 12:26am.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Raw processing (till recently) has been 'whole of photo' processing. Ie you couldn't work on specific areas of your photo. RAW processors let you change the white balance, adjust shadows, etc. A RAW file is the data straight from the sensor (after analog->digital conversion).

A JPG is a processed photo. Your camera processed a JPG and saves it based on a series of instructions set in your camera. As dbax says, a RAW file might be 10MB of data, but the same JPG out of the camera might be 3MB..where did your other data go? Your camera just removed 7MB of colour information, pixel information etc that your camera sensor 'saw'. Does that sound the best way to get the best result from your captured image?

Yes you can edit a JPG just as you can a RAW file, but you are editing something that has already been striped of a lot of information. I know which one I would rather work with.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Raw processing (till recently) has been 'whole of photo' processing. Ie you couldn't work on specific areas of your photo.
    Strictly speaking that is arguable at least. Canon's DPP has had features for healing and cloning for years. LightZone (agreed, not a very well known RAW converter) provides things like dodge and burn, regional edits etc. It offered these features since day 1 (back in 2005 or 2006 or so). And those are just two converters I've been playing around with, there are many, many more out there.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree Jev, thats why I said until recently - meaning the last few years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI Rick
    I have been shooting in RAW and JPEG as i cant seem to open RAW photo's on my pc, (so shooting in both as a back-up and until i learn enough to go soley RAW). I have CS4 with camera RAW, do i need another program to be able to open the photo's or should that be suffiecent? as at the moment it says it doesn't recognise the file - having no trouble opening the JPEG's though.
    Do i need to download another type of software to be able to open the RAW images?
    Thanks so much
    Nicole

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
    HI Rick
    I have been shooting in RAW and JPEG as i cant seem to open RAW photo's on my pc, (so shooting in both as a back-up and until i learn enough to go soley RAW). I have CS4 with camera RAW, do i need another program to be able to open the photo's or should that be suffiecent? as at the moment it says it doesn't recognise the file - having no trouble opening the JPEG's though.
    Do i need to download another type of software to be able to open the RAW images?
    Thanks so much
    Nicole
    Have you downloaded the latest updates for CS4? When in CS4, go to Help menu and check for updates. Download any/all, repeat till everything is up to date, then try again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Have you downloaded the latest updates for CS4? When in CS4, go to Help menu and check for updates. Download any/all, repeat till everything is up to date, then try again
    Yay it worked THANK YOU> I have downloaded the updates a couple of times and it never worked, this time i just kept re-updating after one finished (maybe the update kept timng out).
    SO excited! Just tried it out, and your right i could get more detail out of the same photo i had taken in JPEG and RAW, still not confident to go RAW on its own yet incase something happens and i cant open them again, glad i have the option to take both at once.
    Thank you again.
    Nicole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the gimp?

G;day all,
    I've just downloaded a gimp2.6, from the development team as specified on their web site, but find the thing a bit difficult..
    for example, it doesn't seem to recognise raw format, and the on-line tutorials seem (I say seem as I'm not all that aux fait with complex programmes...) to describe dialog boxes that have little relation to those appearing on my computer.

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions? (other than give it all away or spend a 1,000$ on PS?)

I sometimes wish we all stuck to film....

cheers

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You dont need to spend $1000s - go get a copy of Photoshop Elements, much cheaper and does most of what photoshop does

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast