Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Lighting help please

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighting help please

Ok guys how would you light this setup.

If you go to the “Abstract” forum and look at my balloon shots you’ll see that the 3 speed lights are causing hot spots, as you can see in the last shot of the orange balloon there is 3 hotspots and shadows on the other balloon shots.

I’ve just got 2 white umbrellas last week & placed them at 45* angle to the balloon and still getting uneven lighting.

Any advise would be appreciated even if I have to purchase extra gear.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mzi7me.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/15nascz.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2uyiux1.jpg

Al
    Last edited by axle01; 14-01-2018 at 6:07pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too sure about the lighting, Al, but that shed needs some attention, it's far to clean and tidy!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Not too sure about the lighting, Al, but that shed needs some attention, it's far to clean and tidy!
    Haha,,,,,, not
    Last edited by axle01; 14-01-2018 at 6:31pm.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al, not really being an experienced with this type of photography, I have had some experience in lighting portraits. The secret with portraits is to soften or diffuse the light to avoid hotspots. I use a 40cm x 40cm softbox on speedlites - sometimes with an internal diffuser installed. I am surprised the umbrellas still give you hot spots - have you tried moving the umbrellas closer to the balloon - this should diffuse the light more.

The 40 x 40 softboxes are not expensive from fleabay but the light diffusion is not that much different than shoot through umbrellas. Alternatively you could try reflective umbrellas - although I feel this method is not as good as diffusing the light as shoot through umbrellas or softboxes.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move them closer,,,,,hmmm I was moving them away,,,, I’ll try that although I can’t get to close or they’ll get covered in coloured water and stain them.

I’ve got reflective umbrellas I’ll also try them.

Thank you for your input Brian.

Al

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Brian has stated.... larger diffuser = less hotspots.... if your a bit of a handy man you can knock up a large scrim type diffuser in minutes..all you need it a frame and some opaque paper.. buy a large roll and you have many scrims in the future.. try something along the lines of 6ft x 3 ft... youtube has plenty of DIY scrims
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Al

Yes - closer is the key, but the diffused light also needs to have a large surface area as well. When the light source is larger than the subject and also close, you should get that soft, wrap-around light with smooth shadow transitions and no hot spots.

The Sun is a big ball of energy but it is located some 93,000,000 miles away, therefore it acts like a spot light and produces harsh shadows and hot spots.

If you take a torch and light an object with it, you'll also get harsh shadows and hot spots.

On a heavily overcast cloudy day, you get nice soft light with no hot spots. A good flash diffuser should make the flashgun tube "appear" to have a larger surface area by spreading the light rather than concentrating it.

Cheers

Dennis

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian Paul & Dennis I’ll work on that next round.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    diffusers or bounce them off a bit white sheet set up behind the camera or off to the side.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |