Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Flash Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Flash Photography

Hi,
    I was wondering weather the 600EXRT II Flash or the 430EXRT II Flash will be excellent for shooting Events!
    My requirements are:
    shooting indoors and outdoors
    within the $200 - $500 mark.
    Hope you can help me to chose the right Flash!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You don't have to pay Canons prices.
    Yongnuo make the equivalent at a much more reasonable price.
    I use the third flash as listed here ... https://shootsearcher.com/best-yongn...568EX_II_Flash
    It works well and gives you more reach than the Canon flash you asked about.
    Welcome to AP and glad you are already enjoying the photographic journey.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I use the third flash as listed here ... https://shootsearcher.com/best-yongn...568EX_II_Flash
    Is Third Party stuff as good as First party stuff? I herd that the Third party stuff isn’t as strong in build Quality as the First Party Stuff! Is this True?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Is Third Party stuff as good as First party stuff? I herd that the Third party stuff isn’t as strong in build Quality as the First Party Stuff! Is this True?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babussam. You're asking for comments on generalisations.
    Also, in your first post above, what do you mean by "excellent" and
    what sort of "Events"? Furthermore, "shooting indoors and outdoors"
    is rather broad.

Please try to make your questions more specific so that way you can
    get more focused replies.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 04-01-2018 at 8:28am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is much debate about OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and 3rd Party products.

Generally, I have tended to stay with OEM equipment for what I consider to be critical items that I do not want to fail in the field, or have compatibility issues with. I believe (trust?) that Canon will maintain system compatibility across their products and accessory range as new models are announced, or current models are upgraded via Firmware updates. Also, I believe that OEM’s may specify the materials, components, production processes and quality system requirements more rigorously than some (not all) 3rd Party suppliers. This should lead to more reliable products as those requirements are designed in by the folks that best understand the overall system.

The above is a set of assumptions as I have no direct knowledge of OEM vs 3rd Party design, build, test and manufacture systems and processes.

• Does this mean an OEM product is perfect and will not fail – no.
    • Does this mean that a 3rd Party product is of lesser capability, functionality and quality – no.

I guess it is a risk assessment that I make for critical items and the consequence is that I have a “peace of mind” but often a thinner wallet. I prefer not to have any unwanted surprises when I use an OEM DSLR with certain 3rd Party accessories. I suspect that the core functionality should be okay, but maybe the OEM unit might have a rarely used esoteric function that has not been implemented by a 3rd Party design and when that 1 in a million need to use it arises, it will not work.

Clearly the better and more established 3rd Party manufactures design and manufacture products that meet the quality, price and reliability expectations of photographers all over the world and clearly, there is a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) peddled by OEM’s to make folks like me purchase critical OEM products, so I guess it comes down to your own set of requirements and risk assessments and general feelings of comfort.

Photography is a hobby for me, so I don’t have deadlines and targets to meet. If it were my income, I might have a different set of thoughts and requirements.

If the budget cannot stretch to OEM prices, then I guess 3rd Party is the only option.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Third Party stuff often comes out of the exact same factory. So the quality of third party stuff depends on the brand and where it is made. There is cheap junk and very high quality third party stuff out there. Take the Sigma Art series of lenses.. they are simply brilliant lenses. Or the Tamron 90mm macro which for years won best macro lens worldwide. It took about 10 years for one of the big brands to better it with a macro lens of their own.

You get what you pay for. A $50.00 flash off ebay will not be as good as a $400 one, no matter what the brand.

All we can do is give you general advice. In the end it is your money that needs to be spent and you are the only one that can make the decision on what you are going to purchase.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babussam View Post
    Not true.
    I wouldn't have recommended the Yongnuo speedlite otherwise. It has good built quality and as I mentioned you get more reach for the dollars you spend. As far as I know it does just about everything the Canon speedlite can do.
    I use it on the 80D with a third party lens.
    Go and research Yongnuo quality instead of believing that because it has Canon or Nikon as the brand makes it better. (makes it more expensive.)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Yongnuo, and am happy with it. At least I can use it, unlike the Nikon SB600 that truly needed a manual.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have 2 Canon 600EX-RT'S and 4 Yongnuo 600EX-RT's...any difference??? yep more beer money in my pocket with the Yoggie... ( did i just invent a new nickname for Yongnuo..you heard it here first folks ) .... Build quality is 99% as good ascanon...think the weather sealing is better on the canon...AND THATS ABOUT IT.... now without sounding rude...you say your a beginner in the fine world of photography.. will you be getting paid for these "events" or are they just for pleasure? reason i ask... get yourself a yoggie ( see what i did there ) and when the $$$$$$$ starts rolling in grab yourself a Canoon if you think its necessery ( i put money on that you wont ) ..cheers
    Paul ( yoggie founder )
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The devil will be in the detail.

If you just want it to work exactly as advertised, if you expect it to work perfectly both with your existing equipment, and with that new camera you buy in a few years time, with every function tested and every combination of functions tested, stick with Canon. The 600EX II is a superb unit, Canon's top of the line as sold to the most demanding of professional photographers.

If, on the other hand, you can verify that the third-party unit of your choice will do all the things you need it to do, it will certainly be cheaper.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    If, on the other hand, you can verify that the third-party unit of your choice will do all the things you need it to do, it will certainly be cheaper.
    So based on others (and my) comments, go cheaper. The Yoggie works.
    Unless you are the "most demanding of professional photographer" of cause,
    Last edited by Mark L; 05-01-2018 at 11:05pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not smart enough to be the most demanding of professional photographers. In fact, I'm dumb enough to need all the help I can get with complicated things like flash guns. Such as just knowing that it works and that my camera understands it. Possibly the Yoggie does. Never tried one. I know the Canon does.

(Note that I'm not averse to third-party gear in general. One of my favourite lenses is a Tokina. But I always reckon flash is complicated enough already.)

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    I'm not smart enough to be the most demanding of professional photographers. In fact, I'm dumb enough to need all the help I can get with complicated things like flash guns. Such as just knowing that it works and that my camera understands it. Possibly the Yoggie does. Never tried one. I know the Canon does.

(Note that I'm not averse to third-party gear in general. One of my favourite lenses is a Tokina. But I always reckon flash is complicated enough already.)
    No need to put yourself down like that, Tony. There's plenty of us here willing-and-able to do that for you...ha ha ha

I purchased a 'Yoggie' (thanks, Paul) a while back claiming it did everything that Canon could with the only difference being the battery configuration. I was so happy, I ended up buying another. Can't go wrong for the price!